Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 56403 times)

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
I don't think calling them Manchuria will help with the universal constant

The curse is so strong that the Chinese got destroyed before the game even started!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 10:51:41 PM »
I just got upto part 6 of the trans Newtonian campaign. I can see where the Chinese curse started , it was a doozy but they brought it upon themself.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 07:40:51 AM »
I knew they were toast as soon as Steve said the name of the first two warship classes were the Jiangwei and Jianghu.  Maybe to add some actual suspense he should choose two class names that weren't historically slaughtered by him?

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 03:18:58 PM »
I think I'll root for the Russians. They always get crushed in the other games (even if they usually bring it down on themselves with their unflinching aggression) and I want to see them win once. Also they're using the Railgun flak PD approach I like to use in my games.

At least they're off to a nice start with those exploration finds. Here's hoping the sheer scope of this campaign doesn't cause problems before they get to profit off their discovery.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
Man, this game is crazy. I hope it keeps going for a long time! Good luck Steve! Interesting to see where the first conflict ignites.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
I'm predicting the Manchurians are going to be the first to initiate conflict.  They are going to be getting squeezed hard.  Their system is essentially pinned between two powers 'home' system chains with little room to expand.

Offline TheRequimen

• Petty Officer
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »
I see three potential flashpoints so far, in order of what I think is most likely to happen.

Caliphate-Germany, over expansion and security through WISE 1506+7027 and Sigma Draconis arms.  Depending on what sort of mindset Steve has for the Caliphate (or the Germans for that matter. . . ), I see imminent conflict between these two powers, with little potential for discourse considering they both really have nowhere else to go.

Japan-Centauri, over pretty much the same sort of issues I outlined above.  This potential conflict is likely to drag in Mars (defense arrangements with the Fed, with the possibility of expansion deals with them), Argentina (Japan would like to make a deal with them, or the Federation will, for help or neutrality), and Manchuria, who would definitely jump on Japan on Earth if she starts to lose or the opportunity presents itself, though I am not sure if Manchuria can defeat the Japanese on Earth even if the Japanese lose in space.

Manchuria-Russia, over dominance, colonies, security or something else in the Russo-Manchurian arm they both inhabit.  This one probably won't happen if Manchuria finds good territory to expand into, allowing both nations to expend their excess energy peacefully expanding.  I will say a first strike on the other by either side would be very risky while most of their people, industry, and shipyards remain on Earth.  Steve's NATO vs Soviet Campaign demonstrated what a few simple mistakes result in.  All bets are off though if one side manages to find a position of, "acceptable losses".

What I am interested in seeing is what sort of response the other powers have to conflicts that do not directly involve them, but have the potential to badly damage them.  For instance, the American and French response to war between Germany and the Caliphate, or any sort of large scale fighting on or near Earth by any power.  Never forget the Trans-Newtonian campaign disaster.  :D

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 10:05:28 AM »
Aww man, this is gearing up to be a sick campaign ;D

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
First Nation to evacuate earth get to nuke it!  ;D

Offline Kolyin

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »
Ha! I was thinking the same thing Alex.

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »
I'm eager to see how well Russia can exploit the new ruins.  I'm also wondering if America will attempt to integrate the new species that they found into their empire.

Also, do the nations that have explored extra systems have any overlap in what they've explored?  It would be quite the surprise for the Russians if one of the other powers found a back door into their "secure" space.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 08:28:14 AM »
About that new species... Am I correct in guessing that the Americans are planning to alter the atmospheric composition of the homeworld of another race? That seems like something any sort of Greenpeace organization would object to, even if the race themselves are not able to object.

Even though the resultant atmospheric composition would still be 'ideal' for the Eben mechanically, even a couple of degrees change in average temperature can have a massive impact on the existing natural cycle and lead to extinction events for some of the more fragile species. Not really an issue if the planet is uninhabited (or contains only very primitive organisms), but for another sentient species' homeworld? Umm...

I can see that as a cause that some politicians can rally people behind and possibly get a couple of votes.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
if aurora has taught me anything, it's that throwing enough duranium at a problem will solve anything!

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
About that new species... Am I correct in guessing that the Americans are planning to alter the atmospheric composition of the homeworld of another race? That seems like something any sort of Greenpeace organization would object to, even if the race themselves are not able to object.

Even though the resultant atmospheric composition would still be 'ideal' for the Eben mechanically, even a couple of degrees change in average temperature can have a massive impact on the existing natural cycle and lead to extinction events for some of the more fragile species. Not really an issue if the planet is uninhabited (or contains only very primitive organisms), but for another sentient species' homeworld? Umm...

I can see that as a cause that some politicians can rally people behind and possibly get a couple of votes.

Yes, you are correct :)

I agree that Greenpeace, or the 22nd Century equivalent, wouldn't be happy, although they don't usually have much influence on US foreign policy (under most Presidents anyway) :)

Offline Jakalo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
When America will start feeling the pressure of its vulnerable status on Earth having seen many of the other superpowers evacuating and its only sizeable colony being easily accessible I don't doubt there will be hard case of turning the blind eye not only on the environmental disruption but on the more comprehensive ''integration''.

Actually I think it would be quite interesting seeing Americans trying to rebuild their Empire integrating both human and non-human races as some kind of Star Trek Federation when the inevitable nuclear showdown hits Earth.