Author Topic: tankers?  (Read 2425 times)

Offline mithril (OP)

• Leading Rate
tankers?
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »
is there any special ship component needed to make a tanker? i'm looking to convert some frieghters into tankers to keep my fleets fueled up when operating away from Sol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by mithril »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: tankers?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
Quote from: "mithril"
is there any special ship component needed to make a tanker? i'm looking to convert some frieghters into tankers to keep my fleets fueled up when operating away from Sol.

Fuel tanks :-)

In other words, a class is a tanker type if you say it is.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
For the explicit tanker commands, the check mark, though if you only have 1 fuel component, it won't be a very GOOD tanker ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »
I quite often have my jump tenders equipped with rather more fuel tankage for this very reason  - also tend to have better sensors as well.

Slainthe

Zim
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:24:34 AM »
Quote from: "mithril"

No, just add plenty of fuel storage. Also, check the Tanker checkbox on the class window. The checkbox is so every fleet of every type doesn't get all the associated tanker order options on the Fleet window.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
Benefit of "noncombatant" status? - Re: tankers?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »
If I put a single small anti-missile missile launcher on my tanker it is no longer considered a noncombatant since the game has no way of knowing I'm not going to use that launcher offensively.  What is the tanker not being considered a noncombatant costing me?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Benefit of "noncombatant" status? - Re: tankers?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:15:21 AM »
Quote from: "jfelten"
If I put a single small anti-missile missile launcher on my tanker it is no longer considered a noncombatant since the game has no way of knowing I'm not going to use that launcher offensively.  What is the tanker not being considered a noncombatant costing me?

You can't use the Frieghter maintenance check order to refit at a Commercial Freight Facility, all overhaul have to be done using the overhaul order (with the associated time penalty).
I don't know if there are any other implications.
Welchbloke

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
A damned GOOD tanker are the Fuel Harvester MARKED it on "Tanker" and put around every GAS Giant with decent Sorium depot..i think r a good logistical choice.

From that point,the Sorium ICONS (in Galactic MAP) around the Solar System are VERY USEFUL for deploy wisely this "Fuel Harvester-Tankers"..and are a happy choice for every damned Admiral who will save her Fleet from Fuel End...

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Just going from memory, there are three classifications:

1.  "Freighter" (or commercial), whatever.  This classification requires no weapons or large sensors, and at least some cargo holds or colonist transport units.  This type of unit can perform the equivalent of an overhaul at the commercial freight facility instantaneously.

2.  Noncombatant.  This classification is for unarmed units that don't meet the requirements of classification #1.  These units cannot use a commercial freighter facility and thus must do an overhaul at a world with maintenance facilities to wind back their maintenance clock.  However, because they are classified as noncombatants, their clock gets rewound faster than an armed ship.  

3.  Normal (warship).  Armed ships, and/or ships with large sensor arrays.  These ships must overhaul at planets with maintenance facilities and take longer to wind back their clocks.  

Kurt

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"

1.  "Freighter" (or commercial), whatever.  This classification requires no weapons or large sensors, and at least some cargo holds or colonist transport units.  This type of unit can perform the equivalent of an overhaul at the commercial freight facility instantaneously.

2.  Noncombatant.  This classification is for unarmed units that don't meet the requirements of classification #1.  These units cannot use a commercial freighter facility and thus must do an overhaul at a world with maintenance facilities to wind back their maintenance clock.  However, because they are classified as noncombatants, their clock gets rewound faster than an armed ship.  

3.  Normal (warship).  Armed ships, and/or ships with large sensor arrays.  These ships must overhaul at planets with maintenance facilities and take longer to wind back their clocks.  

Kurt

Isn't it a shipyard for #2 and 3? Or was that changed?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

Kurt

Isn't it a shipyard for #2 and 3? Or was that changed?

That was changed several versions ago, IIRC.  Instead of shipyards you now need maintenance facilities (ground buildings) which build maintenance supplies and overhaul ships.  

Kurt

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:56:02 AM »

That was changed several versions ago, IIRC.  Instead of shipyards you now need maintenance facilities (ground buildings) which build maintenance supplies and overhaul ships.  

Kurt

Correct.  But they do need to be large enough for the hull being serviced.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley