Author Topic: Swarm Bum Rush  (Read 2572 times)

Offline DuraniumCowboy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
Swarm Bum Rush
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
If I am getting bum rushed by a swarm, and have a weapon set to area defense, the weapon will automatically target units that enter range, correct?

I just hosed a battle up, letting the swarm get inside my excellent laser turret range, but I think its because while I had them set to Area Defense, with the right value on, I did not have the open fire order on, so they remained weapons tight as the bad guys dove in.  So I think if I just make sure I release weapons prior to them moving in, I should get much better results.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
Re: Swarm Bum Rush
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »
If I am getting bum rushed by a swarm, and have a weapon set to area defense, the weapon will automatically target units that enter range, correct?

Nope.
Fire controls set to area defence will try to shoot down missiles at longer distances. The final defensive fire option is the opposite, eg. shooting at missiles at short distances. So afaik if you want to shoot at ships, you have to do it manually.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
Icecoon is correct.  PD settings only function for auto defense against missile salvos. 

You can manually override targeting against ships in range.  But, if missile salvos are also in range there may be some code collisions and nothing may actually be engaged.  It's been a while since I've tested this (as in several years) and Steve may have corrected this. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »
Its a bad idea to use automatic targeting against ships.

Say you're trying to flee, or maintain a set distance from the enemies.  You give a follow at minimum distance command to your fleet, and they try to keep a certain distance from one of the swarm ships.  Automatic targeting may accidentally target and kill the ship they're following, causing the order to fail, your ships to stop, and the swarm to blast you away.  It's better to use manual targeting, and just avoid targeting the one ship your fleet is set to follow.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
Its a bad idea to use automatic targeting against ships.

Say you're trying to flee, or maintain a set distance from the enemies.  You give a follow at minimum distance command to your fleet, and they try to keep a certain distance from one of the swarm ships.  Automatic targeting may accidentally target and kill the ship they're following, causing the order to fail, your ships to stop, and the swarm to blast you away.  It's better to use manual targeting, and just avoid targeting the one ship your fleet is set to follow.

Manual targetting is the way to go although I have to admit that most of the time my ships are set to fly away from the swarm rather than attempt to fix a minimum distance. You can also use the different target same location button to reduce the pain of assigning different targets to every fire control.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »
I do use the different targets, same location order, but I also always try to keep them from targeting whatever enemy I'm set to follow.  It's simple enough, just check the fire controls of each ship.

Offline DuraniumCowboy (OP)

• D
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I definitely didn't manage things as well as I could have. 

Offline Triato

• T
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
You can give the order to follow the last contact on the list, automatic fire will attack such contact last.