Author Topic: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion  (Read 135688 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2016, 05:38:21 AM »
Just like the Spanish Inquisition, Steve's chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise
his TWO chief weapons fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency!
er Among his chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a near fanatical devotion to Poker!

um, I'll come in again...

:)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2016, 05:44:30 AM »
im sorry? but i have only any question form me and all my community -

When will the approximate release date version 7.2 ?

7.2 grant too fine changes in gameplay..

It will be a while :)

The next version will now likely be v8.0 and will be a C# release. I haven't made much progress lately due to work (and being too tired in the evenings for anything requiring serious concentration :) ). I do have a week off at the start of June so should make some more progress then. Even so it is going to be many months before a new release. In fact, I would be very happy if it was this year but you never know.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2016, 06:38:57 AM »
That's actually pretty good to hear, at the start you said it wasn't likely C aurora would even be finished, now you're confident it'll basically be the next release. That's pretty good. Though some fixes to game breaking bugs might be nice to see before 8 comes out, but I'm sure 8 will have entirely new exciting bugs to experience.
As an aside, could I get the designer mode/ database password? I figure it might be interesting to see what I can customise before it breaks.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
Oh swapping languages i see.
Should this have an effect on removing restrictions on window sizes?

Offline ndkid

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • n
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2016, 05:06:42 PM »
I noticed Steve posted this over in C# Aurora:

"I'm using this post as a placeholder to post any shipbuilding changes. So far the changes are:

1) You can't refit a damaged ship."

This one struck me as odd, because heavily damaged ships were often the ones refit historically, because they were already going to be in drydock for an extended period, and the parts that were going to be replaced were often already going to be removed. If you imagine a ship with a destroyed weapon system going in for a refit, one shouldn't have to replace the old weapon system only to rip it out and put a new one in its place.

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Is there going to be a final VB6 release with all of the changes that've been announced so that we have something to fiddle around with while we wait for C#?
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
Is there going to be a final VB6 release with all of the changes that've been announced so that we have something to fiddle around with while we wait for C#?

Most likely no as I think he is doing the changes in the C# code now as he rewrites it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »

The next release will be the C# version, which will include the v7.2 changes.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #293 on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:58 AM »
I noticed Steve posted this over in C# Aurora:

"I'm using this post as a placeholder to post any shipbuilding changes. So far the changes are:

1) You can't refit a damaged ship."

This one struck me as odd, because heavily damaged ships were often the ones refit historically, because they were already going to be in drydock for an extended period, and the parts that were going to be replaced were often already going to be removed. If you imagine a ship with a destroyed weapon system going in for a refit, one shouldn't have to replace the old weapon system only to rip it out and put a new one in its place.

I was trying to avoid the current exploit where you can repair a large amount of damage by undergoing a small refit. However, you have a good point about not repairing something you plan to replace anyway. Perhaps it might be better to allow the refit but not repair any damage to components that remain in the new ship. Alternatively I could have a Refit & Repair task which combines the two.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
I was trying to avoid the current exploit where you can repair a large amount of damage by undergoing a small refit. However, you have a good point about not repairing something you plan to replace anyway. Perhaps it might be better to allow the refit but not repair any damage to components that remain in the new ship. Alternatively I could have a Refit & Repair task which combines the two.
Just set it up so that it charges you for the repair when you refit.  It's theoretically possible to refit without repairs, but it's very rarely done.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »
It would be fine in my book if it charged for repairing everything but the refit parts, and the new parts cost.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »
I've come across a similar situation. Apparently what happens is that the damage becomes untouchable by Damage Control, but the components are still destroyed.
I'd imagine it'd make hull repairs cheaper, but currently, you still need to repair component damage, I figure.
That's just one incident for me, though, I'd figure needs more testing. As is, a "Refit + Repair cost for damaged components which don't get ripped out by refit" seems the best path.

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #297 on: July 07, 2016, 02:44:48 AM »
Ok, this is a strange question, but now with you porting it to C#, and the xamarin libraries being free, is there any chance that you would, say, let someone here create a port to mobile, or do it yourself, perhaps set it up so that the platforms run off the same codebase?

I doubt that it would be as easy as just changing the GUI depending on build target, most likely far more complex then that as the WPF based code jsut wont work on mobile. But a man can dream

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #298 on: July 07, 2016, 07:01:54 AM »
Ok, this is a strange question, but now with you porting it to C#, and the xamarin libraries being free, is there any chance that you would, say, let someone here create a port to mobile, or do it yourself, perhaps set it up so that the platforms run off the same codebase?

I doubt that it would be as easy as just changing the GUI depending on build target, most likely far more complex then that as the WPF based code jsut wont work on mobile. But a man can dream

Something I've long thought would be an interesting little game.
Elite, freelancer, all these space trading/exploration games.

Imagine if you had 1 on your phone, where ships are designed similar to Aurora. And it had a workable online play, so combat and ship movement played out in real time. (have tech start at a mid fusion tech area. So a trip to mars might take a couple hours, and the outer solar systen a few days.)
Make it so that as players explore, the "gov't" will make assignments for colonies and supply and demand, so players can then manage the growth of colonies personally by say, shipping colonists or infrastructure around.

With regards to war and combat, have it be that there are a handful of civs that are fighting with it defaulting to a stalemate without player intervention and stuff.

Could be an interesting idea. Maybe I'll write up a full blown topic about it.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #299 on: July 07, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »
I'm not sure most mobile devices would handle even C# aurora too well, but I imagine it should be possible to have a host server running Aurora with automatic turn processing while players using a browser or mobile could access the database and control individual empires.   
That would be great :D .
I doubt Visual Basic is flexible enough to do it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "