Author Topic: does morale affect terraformers or sorium harvesters?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
does morale affect terraformers or sorium harvesters?
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
I understand from the tutorials that morale affects geo and grav survey ships, so I always build those ships with a long "intended deployment time" even when they're civilian designs.  Should I do the same for terraforming ships and sorium harvesters?  Or is it okay to ignore the crew's morale?  (And, should I check "conscript" for these ship classes?)

Offline Varee

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Re: does morale affect terraformers or sorium harvesters?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
Morale dont affect those ship just like how feighter are not affected. You can read more on the morale page
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4835.msg49116.html#msg49116. As for conscript crew, it your choice but i guess it soesnt really matter except if you are low on crew?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »
Conscript crews are untrained. They do no come from academies. So if you are running low on available manpower, you can specify certain designs to use conscripts.

Offline Starfyre

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Morale only matters for combat checks, ie, beam tohits (offensive and PD), missile salvos, and I think (but don't quote me on this) that low morale lengthens the time a fleet is acknowledging orders/takes to open coordinated fire if you have fleet training option turned on.  Note, this to hit penalty also applies to civvie ships firing with cwis, so if you've got a troop transport or front-line tanker that relies on cwis turrets to thin the inevitable missile salvo that comes its way, don't use conscript crews if you can avoid it.

Personally, I think conscript is less conscript and more ships staffed by merchant marine types, which any decently sized empire is swimming in compared to the number of highly trained combat fleet personelle your academies turn out.  I mean, it *is* a starship, even if you're going on the cheap you're not going to slap a couple hundred yahoos into it when you have potentially billions of compotent civvies to choose from.  They're just not the ones that know how to properly react in a death or glory combat situation.

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Morale only matters for combat checks...
So am I correct to conclude that basically every civilian ship in my fleet should be set to a 3 month deployment?  Even sorium bases that could be orbiting Neptune for a decade?

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Every commercial ship except geosurvey, yeah.

EDIT: If you use commercial tankers/jumpships/whatever with your fleet, those may need the same deployment time as the rest of the fleet. Low morale can affect response time. It's generally irrelevant outside of close combat, but there IS another exception.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:29:38 PM by Nightstar »

Offline Starfyre

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
Every commercial ship except geosurvey, yeah.

EDIT: If you use commercial tankers/jumpships/whatever with your fleet, those may need the same deployment time as the rest of the fleet. Low morale can affect response time. It's generally irrelevant outside of close combat, but there IS another exception.

It affects geosurvey too?  Hunh.  The more you know!