Author Topic: game stuck in small increments (caution, may contain *spoiler* info)  (Read 4460 times)

Offline minionator (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
okay.   I'm not quite sure where to post this, but bugs seems as good as any.

I'm playing invaders, precursors, star swarm on, no starting NPRs, but a 30% gen chance (now reduced to zero, in hopes of bugfix)

I have one currently active precursor wormhole and two systems spectacularly infested with spoilers.   (plans are underway to clean them out, but they involve truly spectacular numbers of meson-armed FACs.   previous experience indicates that cleaning out this level of ships is going to need at *least* 200 facs to ensure victory without catastrophic casualties.   There's over a dozen of the 60kton ships in one of them, and god knows how many smaller ones.   attempts to get scouts in close enough to get a count on the small fry has resulted in most of my surviellance frigates being bounced and killed. )

For the better part of a game day, my game has been stuck running in 60 second increments.   This started with 10-15 60 second rounds followed by the error the game throws when you blow an invader shield array, followed by legions of 60sec increments.   According to spacemaster mode, it's combat somewhere on my map, but I have no idea where or what they're fighting over so furiously.   Or what could take that kind of pounding.   60 seconds is about on the money for the cycle time of one of the invader ships plasma torps, but it just keeps going.   Even if their scouts spawned an NPR planet somewhere, with the kind of fleets the invaders throw, with only one invader shipkill, even a homeworld should have been glassed by now, even assuming the defending npr had strong beam PD.   Is there any way I can fix this short of nuking the savefile?  I'm thirty game years in, and would rather like to avoid restarting.

Offline smokeyser

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
Re: game stuck in small increments (caution, may contain *spoiler* info)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:48 PM »
Check the auto turns box on the top right corner of the system map.   It should keep going until there's an event that actually involves you.

Offline minionator (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
note: it's back to sane progression again.   guess whatever was getting shot at finally died.   hopefully for good.

I have been.   the issue was that it was about a thousand one minute increments to do resolve itself, which was something on the order of two real time hours of autoadvancing.   I was beginning to wonder if there was a game glitch, or someone was shooting at something that was invulnerable.   I remember some older bugs with NPR ships using beam weapons shooting at a planet with >1 atmo pressure and suchlike.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
It might have been a couple of invader ships trying to kill a Star Swarm Queen that had no Soldiers left. The slow firing rate from the Invader was enough to let the Queen's shields to recharge and it just dragged on in a yo-yo fashion. Steve has a check that will clear out one of the offending halves of the yo-yo if this happens.

Offline minionator (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »
Is there some menu option I have to click to make it do that, or does it run the check automatically?  there's another of those 60 second update chains going, and there's no end in sight.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Is there some menu option I have to click to make it do that, or does it run the check automatically?  there's another of those 60 second update chains going, and there's no end in sight.
It is automatic, but there needs to be a couple hundred of those cycles before it will trigger.

Brian

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »
While this is a semi old thread I just add that (SM) System Map has a option for a space-time bubble. Which should pause everything outside the system you activated it in. Useful if you suspect AI are fighting in more than one system.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
While this is a semi old thread I just add that (SM) System Map has a option for a space-time bubble. Which should pause everything outside the system you activated it in. Useful if you suspect AI are fighting in more than one system.

The purpose of the STB is to run your own battles run without interupts from other systems, not to isolate your empire from AI battles.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:02:56 AM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »
perhaps the AI battle code may need working