Author Topic: 125 years of boring and peaceful expansion.  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • G
125 years of boring and peaceful expansion.
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
First , i though 125 years of playing was short.  So when i met the year 2150,
i considered it was normal that i didnt encounter any aliens yet :-\.  Looking at the forum i realised that
many game dont even last 100 years, and unlike me, they have came through a lot of events.
So what the point of this post? just sharing what ive experienced and ask one question :
*is there a way of generating a NPR on A CHOSEN system (or even a planet) with the SM mod?
(and the bonus question :D)
*What was your longest game?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: 125 years of boring and peaceful expansion.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »
Yes!  It takes some getting used to.  Its in the F9 tab, if i recall correctly.  In SM mode, there are a bank of buttons that appear on the lower right side of the screen.  When you look at setting the research points for the planet, make sure you set enough for them!  Don't skimp!  I did a late game generation and didn't give them enough research points, and when I arrived my mighty fleet just CLOBBERED them.  I was able to blast ships with point defense without taking so much as a ding on the shields.  When I landed on the planet, there were untold billions of souls scrabbling in their low tech world.  BILLIONS of them.  8.4 billion, and hell, i'm only 15 years in-- generated NPR size is a function of game length!

Have fun!

Back up your database regularly

I've gone 70 years before a critical error shuts me down.  50 years is where I'm at now, and I am substantially larger and more advanced than my previous 70 year game. Havent played in a few weeks, work + anno.

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »
Thanks for you help :) very useful .
After many laborious try  I've finally managed to create a mighty (hive mind race) empire on europa (the whole frozen civilization was sleeping in the thick crust of europa until their terraforming device suddenly activated (just a the moment the military was getting bored^^) and  managed to melt part of it, unleashing by the same time alot of oxygen XD) they are quite developed they have enough mineral to start and 3 000 000 000  happy nameless folks to slaughter to cooperate with.

*I wonder if anyone already managed to play a "multiplayer" game and how was the experience ? I guess it was very slow and tricky !?

I'm surprised to see such little community being so active.  Also , i've read many topics and remarked that unlike many forums, peoples here are  more open minded and can disagree peacefully (about tactics/strategies, suggestions).  ;)

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
oh Actually i've created two civilizations on Europe, i shall see what will happen  ;D

edit :

They merely destroyed lot of my civilian and military ship after an automated increment (i'm an idiot) although them seemed to be friendly >:( .  Anyway i almost wanted this, and that gave me a reason  to end this game: increment became very very very very slow my empire was messy and my ships badly designed .

I will start a battlestar galactica scenario; it going to be fun ! :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:53:43 PM by Geoffroypi »

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
That sounds very similar to my first successful game: over 100 years of quiet exploration until I finally ran into a race that slowed the game down miserably -and- showed just how poorly designed my ships were.  Boy was I confused when I read about all the battles everyone else was having!

The next games were (and are) considerably more exciting.  Try setting the # of jump points in Sol to 6 or higher to ensure some interesting nearby systems and NPRs.

Offline Geoffroypi (OP)

• G
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »
Yep , after 60 years it became so slow (increment ajustement and too much work for the processor) that i caught a very bad habit to make 20-30 automated increment of 30 days and then i attended to real life business  ;D imagine the consequences if i encounter a hostile race, it would gave him much than enough time to destroy anything (and this isnt the only problem).  I wonder if a game with a limit of something like 40 star systems and a lot of NPR (10-20) would make the game more intensive and faster paced.  Also , i'm quite disapointed to see that aurora only use max 25 % of my processors capability , let's hope aurora 2 will use multicore and be coded in c++ :)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
If you use 'Real Stars' then the Galaxy Size option doesn't matter.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:35 AM »
Let's hope aurora 2 will use multicore and be coded in c++ :)

I was working as a C++ programmer when I started the forerunner of Aurora. It was a project intended to help me learn VB3 :). Aurora 2 will be in C# when I eventually get back to it.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
I was working as a C++ programmer when I started the forerunner of Aurora. It was a project intended to help me learn VB3 :). Aurora 2 will be in C# when I eventually get back to it.

Yeah - C++ is sooooo 90's :)

John

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=4795. msg48603#msg48603 date=1334132015
I was working as a C++ programmer when I started the forerunner of Aurora.  It was a project intended to help me learn VB3 :).  Aurora 2 will be in C# when I eventually get back to it.

Steve

Have you ever thought about recruiting people to help you code Aurora 2? I assure you, even locally there is bound to be atleast 1 person who sees things your way.  And even one would help you considerably.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
that would mean an open source project i dont think steve wants to go that way.  That said if a new project was started and steve set down what he wanted and got volunteers to help him do it as long as they go along with the ideas, theres lots of similiar open source projects out there but getting ppl to sign up and contribute and other things coming up makes it hard to sustain such projects