Author Topic: Gothic III - Comments Thread  (Read 848 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Gothic III - Comments Thread
« on: April 19, 2024, 06:09:52 AM »
Please add any comments in this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Gothic III - Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 07:20:08 AM »
The subforum name says "conventional", yet the posting of a comment thread without any updates to comment on says "unconventional". Which is to be believed??  ???

:P Looking forward to this one, Steve!

The following users thanked this post: Pedroig

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 07:29:23 AM »
The fiction was a bit on the short side, but definitely good. I particularly appreciated the cliffhanger near the end.

The following users thanked this post: Pedroig, nuclearslurpee

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 08:28:26 AM »
Added the first section. I am going to do shorter updates on this one, but hopefully more often.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 10:21:25 AM »
Added the first section. I am going to do shorter updates on this one, but hopefully more often.

I am going to do shorter comments on this one, but hopefully more often.  :P

In 2032, Earth was attacked without warning by an alien armada, which bombarded the surface from orbit. The aliens were apparently only interested in devastating the planet as there was no follow-up invasion.

It was probably for the best, really.

The Emperor decreed that the Imperium would become a star-faring civilization, dedicated to building a military force capable of seeking out and destroying the aliens that had almost wiped out humanity, along with all other potential threats.

Waaaaagh!!!

humanity would venture forth to conquer the stars.

WAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

•   All spoilers active except Rakhas.

...waaaagh?

Consequently, a new small craft design, the jump-capable Aquila class scout, was developed and six were constructed,
Eventually, six jump points were discovered in Sol and probed by the Aquilas.

What a convenient coincidence that is in no way related to narrative foreknowledge on the part of the author!  :P

The geological survey proved disappointing, with nothing of note except the ruins of an alien city on Alpha Centauri-B V, most likely another victim of the same aliens that attacked Terra two thousand years earlier.

I don't know what it is, but Alpha Centauri in my games almost always seems to be pretty much barren, which is rather disappointing for such a famous and nearly always colonizable system. Occasionally I'll have some luck with a gas giant or asteroid belt but it's fairly rare.

Beyond jump points four and five were Barnard’s Star and Andromeda, neither of which held anything of interest.

That's Andromeda, the star. Not to be confused with:
  • Andromeda, the constellation
  • Andromeda, the galaxy
  • Andromeda, the Greek mythological figure
The scout crews were really confused when they transited a jump point and found that last one just floating in space.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 01:19:04 AM »
Third time's the charm!

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 06:29:45 AM »
Always great time to see one of these going up!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:16:31 AM »
It's interesting to see how the warship designs start off with a different sort of 'balance' from the conventional start, especially with limited scientist admin meaning you can't just rush MP drive tech in 10 years. Starting off with the 25cm railguns is certainly different!

I'm curious, Steve, if you've ever considered building your colony ships as hybrid colonist transport + cargo hold vessels that can transport their own infrastructure (200 or 250 per million, I would suppose). These would be pretty massive ships which feels very Warhammer to me.

Gothic class Cruiser

I admit, I'm a little offended that this isn't the Lunar class. Gothics are lance boats, dammit!  :P

That said, 60,000 tons... really liking the upscaled warship sizes in this one!

Will be interesting to see how the Jotun develop. You did start with 10 NPRs, but from the sound of it the Jotun are probably a minor race and so probably not much use as allies unless the trade income is worth it? So probably a better target for exterminatus. That said, between the Necron threat and yet-to-appear threats from the Dark Eldar, Tyranid, and Chaos factions, will the Imperium have the time and resources to carry out such a holy mission?

The following users thanked this post: Warer

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 10:03:28 AM »
It's interesting to see how the warship designs start off with a different sort of 'balance' from the conventional start, especially with limited scientist admin meaning you can't just rush MP drive tech in 10 years. Starting off with the 25cm railguns is certainly different!

I'm curious, Steve, if you've ever considered building your colony ships as hybrid colonist transport + cargo hold vessels that can transport their own infrastructure (200 or 250 per million, I would suppose). These would be pretty massive ships which feels very Warhammer to me.

Gothic class Cruiser

I admit, I'm a little offended that this isn't the Lunar class. Gothics are lance boats, dammit!  :P

That said, 60,000 tons... really liking the upscaled warship sizes in this one!

Will be interesting to see how the Jotun develop. You did start with 10 NPRs, but from the sound of it the Jotun are probably a minor race and so probably not much use as allies unless the trade income is worth it? So probably a better target for exterminatus. That said, between the Necron threat and yet-to-appear threats from the Dark Eldar, Tyranid, and Chaos factions, will the Imperium have the time and resources to carry out such a holy mission?

Yes, I got to 25cm railguns fairly quickly. The Imperium has 30cm railguns and 60,000 km range modifier, but waiting for Capacitor 6 before deploying them, as the 25cm seems better before that point.

These cruisers are much more lance heavy than any of my designs in previous AAR (and the Gothic II will have particle lances) and have no torpedoes, so I went Gothic instead of Lunar :)

I tend to have more cargo ships than colony ships and also terraform where I can, so I would carrying excess weight in a lot of cases.

I'm past 100 systems now (will be covered in next update), so every possible threat is on the table. I have a much smaller military than normal for a 40K game, so hoping I can fix that before anything too scary turns up. I am currently embarked on my first combat mission to clear a Necron system - its April 4026.

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, Warer, BigBacon, nuclearslurpee

Online AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 09:42:21 AM »
The Necron light torpedoes started to engage the Expeditionary Force once more,  but the Imperial attack had disrupted the coordination of the waves and they now arrived in alternative salvos of twenty and twelve, posing no significant threat.
Would this be considered a bug in the NPR's targeting routines? I'd think they'd want to mass as many missiles in a given time increment as possible.

The cowardly and duplicitous Jotun would be destroyed and their resources used to fuel the Imperial war machine.
Hey - that looks to be Race040 from my race image pack! Neat to see it in the wild.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 04:42:11 PM »
The Necron light torpedoes started to engage the Expeditionary Force once more,  but the Imperial attack had disrupted the coordination of the waves and they now arrived in alternative salvos of twenty and twelve, posing no significant threat.
Would this be considered a bug in the NPR's targeting routines? I'd think they'd want to mass as many missiles in a given time increment as possible.

The cowardly and duplicitous Jotun would be destroyed and their resources used to fuel the Imperial war machine.
Hey - that looks to be Race040 from my race image pack! Neat to see it in the wild.

Yes, there are some issues around the NPRs not always synchronizing their salvos. The situation above, plus another in which they have different fire control ranges.

Yes, I use the pack you created. Thanks for that!