Author Topic: How to automate jumps?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Maximillian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • M
How to automate jumps?
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
I've got a fleet of three Starlifter Jumpships waiting at the warp point to Alpha Centauri and I've been shuttling ships back and forth.  It's been working, but I can't figure out how to get the jump ships to shuttle back and forth when the fleet is bigger than their jump capacity.

If I've got ten freighters to move through the warp point is there any ordr that I can give to have a jumpship to take them all through one at a time, or do I need to manually jump back and forth, moving one freighter at a time into the transit fleet?

Thanks!
Max

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How to automate jumps?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »
Quote from: "Maximillian"
I've got a fleet of three Starlifter Jumpships waiting at the warp point to Alpha Centauri and I've been shuttling ships back and forth.  It's been working, but I can't figure out how to get the jump ships to shuttle back and forth when the fleet is bigger than their jump capacity.

If I've got ten freighters to move through the warp point is there any ordr that I can give to have a jumpship to take them all through one at a time, or do I need to manually jump back and forth, moving one freighter at a time into the transit fleet?

Thanks!
Max

Have you read the FAQ on Jump engines/ships/gates etc.?  (Or whatever it's called.)

You don't need to do any "shuttling".  Simply put one Starlifter in its own TG, and "move to" the warp point.  You can then give the other ships "standard transit" orders through the WP, as long as they don't exceed the size capacity of a Starlifter, or as long as they don't have military engine if the Starlifter has a commercial jump drive.

The idea is that, for standard transits, the jump ships holds the wormhole open and the other ships go through it - this costs more in destabilization time, though, and creates a "choke point" since they appear right on top of the warp point in the other system.

John

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:01 AM »
You don't have to detach the Starlifter, actually. Jump ships in the same task group work just as well as ones sitting on the jump point.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"
You don't have to detach the Starlifter, actually. Jump ships in the same task group work just as well as ones sitting on the jump point.

You are correct. What sloanjh meant, however, was using one of the jumpships as a "poor man´s jumgate", i.e. parking a jumpship at the jumppoint. The parked jumpship will allow an unlimit number of TGs to jump through, as long as
a) no one ship is larger than the size-limit of the jumpship.
b) commercial jumpdrives can only move ships with commercial engines through a JP, while military jumpdrives can only move ships with military engines through.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Maximillian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »
Have you read the FAQ on Jump engines/ships/gates etc.? (Or whatever it's called.)

Read, yes.  Remembered?  Not so much.  Thank you!

I had been assuming that standard transit just sent the jump ship through, this makes much more sense.

Max

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
You are correct. What sloanjh meant, however, was using one of the jumpships as a "poor man´s jumgate", i.e. parking a jumpship at the jumppoint. The parked jumpship will allow an unlimit number of TGs to jump through, as long as
b) commercial jumpdrives can only move ships with commercial engines through a JP, while military jumpdrives can only move ships with military engines through.

You can leave a jump ship on the jump point and still send other starships through the jump point?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
Yep. Basicly, the program sees a TG approaching a jumppoint.
It looks if there is a jumpship of the proper type (commercial or military) there.
If yes, it looks if the size of the jumpship is sufficient.
If yes, TG can jump
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "Maltay"

You can leave a jump ship on the jump point and still send other starships through the jump point?

Hmmm - I guess it wasn't made clear enough in the FAQ thread.  I added a new reply to the thread that deals with this specific issue.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:10 PM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"

Yep, that's exactly what I meant - thanks :-)

One thing:  I'm pretty sure that military jump drives can move ships with commercial engines.  In reality, though, this situation is unlikely to occur since military jump drives will tend to be smaller than the smallest ship with commercial engines.

The big restriction is, as you say, that military drives can't utilize a jump ship with commercial jump engines.

John

Offline Decimator

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
Incorrect.  Commercial jumpdrives can indeed only move ships with commercial engines through a jump point.  Military jumpdrives, however, can move ships with any type of engine through.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:28:14 PM »
Quote from: "Decimator"
Incorrect.  Commercial jumpdrives can indeed only move ships with commercial engines through a jump point.  Military jumpdrives, however, can move ships with any type of engine through.

I stand corrected :)

As sloanjh said, this rarely matters, as commercial ships tend to be a tad larger than military jumpships (at least this is true for _my_ games), but if you start building large military jumpships, yes, they can take commercial shipping along.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »
I've got a class (the Conduit) devoted to being exactly a "poor man's jump gate" for commercial shipping until a real jump gate can be built.  They're quite handy.