Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Peter Rhodan (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Maintenance
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
If  see ship designs with Annual Failure rate of like 600% or something on a 40,000 ton ship with only only 2,000 MSP I have to assume they have No Overhauls ticked?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:52 AM »
If  see ship designs with Annual Failure rate of like 600% or something on a 40,000 ton ship with only only 2,000 MSP I have to assume they have No Overhauls ticked?

The annual failure rate isn't that good a guide, especially on large ships. Larger ships will have higher annual failure rates anyway because there are more things that can go wrong. For an extreme example, an aircraft carrier will be more likely to have a maintenance failure than a fishing boat but it may still be able to operate for longer due to more maintenance supplies. The best guide is the Est Time, which will show how long the maintenance supplies are likely to last.

Steve

Offline antofdeath

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
Soo just a question towards this >.> What does "Maintenance Clock" do precisely and I've noticed that at 18 years my ship seems to be breaking components left right and center... (Turns out you need a size 210,000 maintenance facility for a size 210,000 ship xD!)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
The "Annual Failure Rate", you see on the ship design screen, is the actual chance of something breaking on the ship, when it is brand new. As the parts on the ship get older and more and more worn out, (maintennance clock advances) the chance of parts breaking increases. After a couple of years, things start to seriously get out of hand.

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:50:54 AM »
And that's when you need to overhaul it.

Another question: can you repaire damaged component other than by damage control? Some of my ships started to break down, so I overhauled them. But to my surprise, it seems the broken down pieces are still broken. Is there another way to fix it that hand them supply, tell them to fix an engine, then hand them supply again?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »
Yes you can.
You need a shipyard to do it.
Select the "Repair Ship" from the dropdown and select the ship class you want to repair, then there is another dropdown with all the ships from that class in orbit where that shipyard is located.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
I've noticed that at 18 years my ship seems to be breaking components left right and center...
Wow I try not to let anything get over a couple years max, obviously thats not always possible, but the larger the clocktime, the longer the overhaul time needed. Still, I find when I really really need a fleet fast, they are being overhauled.. Its like the game knows.

What about MFRD's? Fighters can now be prepared in Hangers and so a huge ship with enough hanger space should be able to repair a ship in the field, I've read that it works for armour, but does that extend to components?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:34:13 PM by jRides »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »
Fighters can now be prepared in Hangers and so a huge ship with enough hanger space should be able to repair a ship in the field, I've read that it works for armour, but does that extend to components?

Yes it does

Steve