Author Topic: Let's play on Youtube  (Read 22838 times)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Let's play on Youtube
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 05:55:15 AM »
I don't think there is a complete list. You can see how it affect your starting research labs and shipyards in Create New Game window. If you change your government it will immediately change the values in  Starting Population part of the window.

There is a forum topic: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1948.0.html , but there isn't much info there.

I see, that is too bad. I think the wiki could use more care as it doesn't give enough answers to more detailed questions :) But for a one-man show it's more than good.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »
Well the community here is very helpfull so most players rely on this forum. Usually you will get your answer very fast as there are some very experienced player and Steve checks on this forum quite often as well.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 06:46:58 AM »
I noticed, that is perfect. Maybe some of you will help me throughout the LP giving me advice :)

Also this game is still being developed, correct? I usually sum up the things about the game when I start so I want to give some background info as well.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:33:50 AM »
Ok, question no.5: I played yesterday for several hours slowly testing certain aspects of the game and implementing your advice. But then I encountered another interesting thing - overhauls/crew assigment time. I checked the wiki and the FAQ already but I don't seem to find out coherent answer that would give me enough information so that I could feel that I properly understand everything.
What I know is:
- there is the maintenance clock at the fuel panel
- the ship gets older and older and needs to be checked from time to time
- when in overhaul each month of maintenance rewinds the clock by 3 months.
- the estimated mission time is the time until which the morale of the ship remains at 100%, then it slowly starts to fall

Now what I need to know is how the maintenance is calculated? The wiki/FAQ gives the information that the maintenance is carried by dockyard. Is that the shipyard? I guess not - despite having 2 slipway 5000 ton shipyard the overhaul did no go through. So I suppose it it the maintenance facilities? I need enough of them while each one gives about 200 ton maintenance? Is the amount of maintenance dedicated to overhaul „blocked“ so that the rest of the ships on orbit can start getting system fails?

And regarding the crew - the estimated time of mission is ok, I understand that. Also I understand that the morale goes down the more time the ship spends spacebound over the estimated mission time. But is it enough to just send the ship to a colony (Earth) and then immediately can go back to space again (crew rotates the moment the ship comes to a colony)? And also is there some automated system (like refueling) that could check this for me and send the ship back home when the time comes? Aurora doesn't consider this a huge problem (does not stop automated turns) so it must be really hard to keep an eye on everything in later stages of the game (especially when I can't find any more info about the last crew rotation - only the overhaul time). One thing that might fix this would be set the mission time and overhaul time equal so that the ship always goes out to space with 0 time on it's back. How do you deal with this?
Last but not least – morale of the ship does what? Is there a chance of mutiny or it just lowers the performance of the ship so at 0% it is effectively lost?

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:59 AM »
Ok, question no.5: I played yesterday for several hours slowly testing certain aspects of the game and implementing your advice. But then I encountered another interesting thing - overhauls/crew assigment time. I checked the wiki and the FAQ already but I don't seem to find out coherent answer that would give me enough information so that I could feel that I properly understand everything.
What I know is:
- there is the maintenance clock at the fuel panel
- the ship gets older and older and needs to be checked from time to time
- when in overhaul each month of maintenance rewinds the clock by 3 months.
- the estimated mission time is the time until which the morale of the ship remains at 100%, then it slowly starts to fall

Now what I need to know is how the maintenance is calculated? The wiki/FAQ gives the information that the maintenance is carried by dockyard. Is that the shipyard? I guess not - despite having 2 slipway 5000 ton shipyard the overhaul did no go through. So I suppose it it the maintenance facilities? I need enough of them while each one gives about 200 ton maintenance? Is the amount of maintenance dedicated to overhaul „blocked“ so that the rest of the ships on orbit can start getting system fails?
It is maintenance facilities. You need enough of them to match ship tonnage, but they are not used up or blocked.

And regarding the crew - the estimated time of mission is ok, I understand that. Also I understand that the morale goes down the more time the ship spends spacebound over the estimated mission time. But is it enough to just send the ship to a colony (Earth) and then immediately can go back to space again (crew rotates the moment the ship comes to a colony)? And also is there some automated system (like refueling) that could check this for me and send the ship back home when the time comes? Aurora doesn't consider this a huge problem (does not stop automated turns) so it must be really hard to keep an eye on everything in later stages of the game (especially when I can't find any more info about the last crew rotation - only the overhaul time). One thing that might fix this would be set the mission time and overhaul time equal so that the ship always goes out to space with 0 time on it's back. How do you deal with this?
Last but not least – morale of the ship does what? Is there a chance of mutiny or it just lowers the performance of the ship so at 0% it is effectively lost?
It has to stay at a suitable colony for a certain period of time - once the crew is recovered you will be notified in events.

For my frontline warships and survey ships, I typically match maintenance duration and mission time. For ships operating more locally, you can afford to have a shorter mission time than maintenance life because it is only a matter of days/weeks to recover crew, but overhauls can sometimes take months.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 03:56:45 AM »
So I suffered a catastrophic system failure of one of my ship that resulted in destruction of it and it left behind a couple of life pods. I have a ship nearby but I can't figure out how to collect those? Also what is the wreckage good / bad for?

Also the ship morale - I didn't get an answer to that. What are the effects of it?

And last but not least thanks to all of you who answered, I am pleased to say I am making huge steps forward in my understanding of the game :) Soon there will be something you guys might too enjoy (an LP :) )

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 05:39:37 AM »
So I suffered a catastrophic system failure of one of my ship that resulted in destruction of it and it left behind a couple of life pods. I have a ship nearby but I can't figure out how to collect those? Also what is the wreckage good / bad for?

Also the ship morale - I didn't get an answer to that. What are the effects of it?

And last but not least thanks to all of you who answered, I am pleased to say I am making huge steps forward in my understanding of the game :) Soon there will be something you guys might too enjoy (an LP :) )

On the Task Groups (F12) window, if you tick the Lifepods checkbox, the lifepods will appear as a destination and you can give orders to pick them up. If you pick up life pods from another Empire you can interrogate the prisoners and perhaps learn something about that Empire

Wrecks can be salvaged for minerals and parts. If you salvage wrecks from another race you may learn information about their technology and you can incorporate any intact systems into your own ships.

If ship morale begins to fall, your crew gets increasingly bad at doing anything that relies on crew grade or fleet training.

Steve

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
On the Task Groups (F12) window, if you tick the Lifepods checkbox, the lifepods will appear as a destination and you can give orders to pick them up. If you pick up life pods from another Empire you can interrogate the prisoners and perhaps learn something about that Empire

Wrecks can be salvaged for minerals and parts. If you salvage wrecks from another race you may learn information about their technology and you can incorporate any intact systems into your own ships.

If ship morale begins to fall, your crew gets increasingly bad at doing anything that relies on crew grade or fleet training.

Steve

Thank you Steve! I saved the unlucky crew and they are back on Earth :)

Just a quick question - the salvaging of the wreck requires a certain technology, right? I can't figure out how to do it and the only idea I had was that I am not having sufficient technology (I am on pre-transnewtonia start).

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 03:21:09 AM »

Steve

Also Steve, can you answer a question for me? As I love the game more and more and definitely want to make the LP that I announced I did some more research to get the information straight and there is rumors that a new version of the game will be out soon (6.30 version I believe). Is there any ETA? I in no way want to push you or anything, just wondering if I should wait for the new version or start now. As the LP usually takes months to finish it is a bad idea to start, get years in and then find out the viewers have a new version while I am playing the obsolete one ;) Thank is advance!

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 04:27:38 AM »
Just a quick question - the salvaging of the wreck requires a certain technology, right? I can't figure out how to do it and the only idea I had was that I am not having sufficient technology (I am on pre-transnewtonia start).

To salvage a wreck, you need ship equipped with salvage module (I am not sure which techtree it is and I don't have aurora on this computer to check it). You also need some cargo holds to store salvaged minerals and components.

You can have salvage ship with salvage module and cargo hold, or you can have salvage ship without a cargo hold and your standard freighter in same group.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 04:33:35 AM »
To salvage a wreck, you need ship equipped with salvage module (I am not sure which techtree it is and I don't have aurora on this computer to check it). You also need some cargo holds to store salvaged minerals and components.

You can have salvage ship with salvage module and cargo hold, or you can have salvage ship without a cargo hold and your standard freighter in same group.

That is what I though, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
Also Steve, can you answer a question for me? As I love the game more and more and definitely want to make the LP that I announced I did some more research to get the information straight and there is rumors that a new version of the game will be out soon (6.30 version I believe). Is there any ETA? I in no way want to push you or anything, just wondering if I should wait for the new version or start now. As the LP usually takes months to finish it is a bad idea to start, get years in and then find out the viewers have a new version while I am playing the obsolete one ;) Thank is advance!

Probably a few weeks. I would like to test the changes in the new campaign before releasing it. However, my estimates in the past have been out by several months :)

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
Probably a few weeks. I would like to test the changes in the new campaign before releasing it. However, my estimates in the past have been out by several months :)

Just months?  ;)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 04:36:20 AM »

That wasn't as helpful as I thought :D

BTW are the changes really that major? All I saw were certain interface updates and a few other changes. Anything more that is worth waiting for?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:51 AM »
Well I would say that changes to missile engines are quite important. Also spoiler missiles should be better, that could be quite important for you as you want to have as much challenge as possible (spoiler missiles are really bad in this version).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:47:43 AM by Black »