Author Topic: Obsolete Prefabricated PDCs  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Obsolete Prefabricated PDCs
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
This is with 6.2 of course.

I have really a sad amount of now-useless prefabricated PDC components stuck on Earth.  What can I do with these?  I can't scrap them like I might with Ship Components, Missiles, or Fighters.  I can't even donate them to science.  The only thing I can come up with is to keep them in the stockpile for eternity(not optimal since I may well have this situation come up again and it's just a little annoying) or to dump them on some useless rock(Apophis, Bacchus, Icarus come to mind).  I would like a better solution if there is one, I don't think the environmentalists will be singing my praises if I do that. 

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Obsolete Prefabricated PDCs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:57:44 AM »
Why not assemble them, and then refit them?  Or ship them to a colony, have them assemble them and either refit or not?  Even an obsolete PDC is better than nothing colonial defence wise.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »
The best you can do is SM delete it then refund yourself done minerals for recycling it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:01:22 AM »
I don't know you could refit them :P.  Searches on it only led me to old posts when apparently it wasn't possible. 

However, refitting costs a lot more than making new ones, at least with the tech gap between the old and the new in this circumstance. 

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »
As you are in 6.2 the act of refit will not be completed by the computer.  So you can do what I do (under 6.1) and that is to schedule the refit, and when it completes I delete the old PDC and add in via the SM tool a new one of the appropriate class. 

As far as the cost goes you have the option to pay it and get an upgraded PDC or to just assemble the existing PDC parts on some colony somewhere in the time honored tradition of using the obselete stuff to secure colonial possessions.  Since PDCs don't cost you maintenance and would certainly do you more good assembled then not assembled there isn't really a lot of good reasons to not have them assembled "somewhere" as opposed to sitting in a warehouse gathering cob webs.

Missile launchers after all only require modern missiles to be essentially as effective and PDC missile launcher have a built in factor of 2 improvement in launch speed which means they are (depending on launcher size) three or more tech levels advanced anyway.  You have paid an investment price in materials, money and time to build those prefabricated components so you may as well get something from them in my view.