Author Topic: prebuilding components?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
prebuilding components?
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:08:52 AM »
Some components can't be prebuilt, like Crew Quarters or cargo hold, any reason for that. That's not because they are not race designed, because I can pre build Cargo handling system or cryo pod.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: prebuilding components?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
Interesting.
Might add that to the bug list, but I think it might not be necessary.
Those components are quickly build, especially Cargoholds are very cheap for their size.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
Some components can't be prebuilt, like Crew Quarters or cargo hold, any reason for that. That's not because they are not race designed, because I can pre build Cargo handling system or cryo pod.

I suspect that it's because these are not "components" (like an engine that is installed on a ship), rather they're an intrinsic part of the structure of the ship, like armor.  And yes, I realize that the Crew Quarters fittings could be pre-built and installed - I just don't think any of us want to contemplate "Double-Wides in Spaaaaaace......" :-)

In any event, I'm fairly certain that it's Working As Intended - it's been like that from the time that prefab was introduced, and I think Steve would have noticed in one of his campaigns "Hey - I can't prefab crew quarters."  Another way of thinking about it is "If everything could be prefab'd, then we wouldn't really need shipyards - construction factories would take care of it all."

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:06 AM »
Thats actually a good point.
That would be realistic.
Why can't everything be prefabbed?

On the other hand, if your ships don't have more than 10 levels of armor, you can normally construct them fast enough.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
Well, there are inconsistencies though: Cargo handling system has the same price as cargo hold, but can be prefab, while the cargo hold can't.

So this is not that clear if WAD or not. Why not allow all components to be prefab, and that's it, let the player decide if its worth to stockpile 100 crew quarters?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:46:25 PM by Nibelung44 »

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
I could imagine that many 'components' are integrated into the hull rather than built modular to be added later on (as Nibelung mentioned). Especially cargo holds - basicly a lot of open space with walls around it - are a good example. You can't exactly prefab an area of open space, can you? While it's possible to build them in a modular system, think containers, it'd save a lot of space to plan them out for each ship individually to increase the available space (by using the integrity of the hull and not needing to build 4 walls a floor and a ceiling for each hold) and reduce costs. Crew quarters could be stacked closer together for 'maintenance' of the atmosphere, water, cantines, etc. where prefabbed they'd each need atmospheric regulation, water reservoirs, a cantine and cooking unit, etc. thereby increasing the costs of each quarter unit. Storing or designing these central systems for each ship/class individually may take longer but is way more effective looking from a real life perspective.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
Well, cost is relative.
Cargo holds are quite massive for being so cheap, look at the hullsizes.
This leads to those weird sideeffects like where a sensor ship with a build time of ten years can suddenly be build in one by adding 50 cargoholds to it, because the ship is way bigger now, getting a production speed bonus from the yard, for nearly the same cost.