Author Topic: Impending Financial Apocalypse  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
Impending Financial Apocalypse
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
The empire is in trouble.  Financial reserves have fallen below 100,000 smackaroos for the first time in its history.  Austerity measures may have to be instituted-- most painfully, freezing production at 2070 levels and cutting back on ship production.

I've read some threads regarding financial centers-- some folks use them early on, some folks poo-poo them as ineffective.  I find them inconvenient, because to build "financial worlds" i would have to ship industry there, build the facilities, and then ship them away.  I don't want my forge worlds staffing financial workers.  However, I have a few hundred factories on a world I call Tritania, and will not likely be using it as a major operation base in the future.  Instead of shipping its material away, I was considering just ordering up 1000 financial centers and forgetting about it for a few decades.

How do you deal with impending financial doom?  Do you build financial centers?  Do you try to figure out some way to get more luxury liners (the civvies seem to build them more infrequently than the other classes..)

Note: my next 20% civ. economy expansion is going to cost me 160,000 RP, and my good construction\production scientist died.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Impending Financial Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
I use civilian administrators with huge wealth increase bonus. How, and invest a lot of money in civvies in times of plenty.

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »
I always have the economy expansion being researched, just put a young scientist on there with a few factories and he will gradually increase his level if he is working, you wont lose the points you've already accrued towards the next level if you swap your scientists around and cancel the project at any time but even if its a single lab your scientist will still improve over time and you will be working towards that next level.

As for Financial worlds - what I do is as you say, ship factories out there to begin, but that world that will only build construction factories, automated mines and financial centres. Eventually that world will strip all its resources freeing up all the automated mines but I will end up with a world with an impressive amount of financial centres - and run by a fellow with a good wealth bonus will keep my empire ticking over financially. Those mines and extra construction factories are my pool for expansion. This frees up the major forge worlds to just build components for use at those worlds shipyards and its populace can be more geared into ordinance, fighter, shipyards and maintenance. I will only need to ship certain materials to the financial worlds to keep those finance centres building, and of course whatever else that world is producing.

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
I've been so population starved during this glorious expansion into empty territory that I've been nuturing +pop govs rather than wealth govs. I should really wake those folks up and nurture them a bit :)

Exacerbating this problem, my new sector gov has ENORMOUS shipbuilding, factory, mining, and +pop bonuses... but no wealth. 

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
Maybe think about nurturing some Governmental dudes, just colonise every hunk of rock in sight and give it a governor, as long as he is working he will get better. :)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »
It does feel like cheating to me.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:19 AM »
I've never had any problem with financial matters. 

Research a few levels of Expand Civ. Economy, then let the expansion of civilian freight lines handle the rest. 

Offline Eseraith

• Leading Rate
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
I always turn my home world into a research/financial base with 80 or so labs and 600+ financial centers as both require population but not minerals and this usually keeps me from running into any monetary problems.
Also does anyone know exactly how much wealth a financial center produces?

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
I *believe* they produce wealth worth equivalent to the tax output of 1 million colonists.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »
Also, does someone know why we cannot ship financial centers everywhere? We can ship labs, factories... We can even tug shipyard, but some offices and computer we cannot move around?

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »
Think of a financial center as the New York Stock Exchange, the London FTSE, the exchanges in Tokyo, Germany, Chicago, etc.  And around the NYSE is "Wall Street", which isn't limited to Wall Street anymore, but a number of companies and buildings in New York City and surrounding environs.  It's also the computer networks needed to move all that information around.  Those skyscrapers aren't easily moved.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
My current game - which is also my longest (2092 now and 199 systems discovered 178 surveyed) is also the first where I have had serious financial difficulties. At one stage I had 50% of my industry on earth building Financial Centres....... as well as most ofd other main colonies building 20-30%.
I have been able to scale it back on Earth to like 30% and less on other colonies because of mineral shortages at Earth have restricted my factories and shipyards running full bore...
My current Wealth / Trade balance sheet says I am earning 3292 from Financial Centres (6955 from Pop) and I have 1025 on Earth for instance.
It is a bugger relying on mineral shortages to keep your budget in the Black - currently my biggest commercial shipyard is hardly working (1 slipway out of 5)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:32 AM »
Also, does someone know why we cannot ship financial centers everywhere? We can ship labs, factories... We can even tug shipyard, but some offices and computer we cannot move around?

The technical answer is because Financial Centres were a later addition to the game, and were not back-ported into the shipping code.  I forget if Steve ever said why but I'm sure if you put a suggestion to make them shippable in the appropriate thread he'd reply one way or the other.

For flavour, think of Financial Centres as outgrowths of the service sector; they represent companies that make money (and therefore taxes) based on the actual production of other companies.  In other words, they sell mining equipment to the mines, beakers & log-log graph paper to the research facilities, forklifts & welding tools to the Construction Factories, and so on.  If you moved just the Financial Centres, they wouldn't have anyone to sell to and thus wouldn't make any money.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
Doesn't make sense, as you can have a Finance World as long as you build the Financial Centers there. Well, I'll suggest it. I've had hundreds of millions of people doing nothing on Mars for too long. :p

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
I have turned around my economy before going in the red.  The production of the two new fleet ships and carriers now complete, and four worlds producing financial centers (two as dedicated financial hubs and two just to eat up some of the excess worker capacity.  A brand new shipping line was just established this year as well, once the money rolls in I'll finally be able to subsidize its purchase of some luxury liners and freighers :)