Author Topic: How are you guys doing in light of the Corona Virus?  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: How are you guys doing in light of the Corona Virus?
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
According to the WHO, Italy has one of the most efficient healthcare systems of the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems

And I really don't think they took the virus lightly. Simply put, this virus tends to overwhelm healthcare systems because of the rapid increase of serious cases -> hospitals can't cure people properly etc.

So, what is unforgivable in my opinion is that OTHER nations, after seeing how badly Italy was faring even though they have a greath healthcare system, decided to do nothing at all.  I mean, China does not have a comparable healthcare system, so I could have understood them thinking: "Well, we western world nations are going to do better". But considering what happened in Italy, that was obviously a pipe dream.

And despite that, they all went like: "Oh, let's hope this does not come here in great numbers." That's criminal imo, they had time to start slowing down the contagion from the beginning and instead they decided to wait and see.

And yes, I say slow down. This virus WILL spread until a vaccine is ready (12-18 months according to most experts). But slowing down the spread allows healthcare systems to react to it in the best possible way.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:14:54 PM by Zincat »

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 05:57:51 PM »
Also, while thousands or even millions of dead would be terrible, that isn't the main problem from a logistics standpoint. There will be 10x the number of dead that are seriously ill and require hospitalisation, which will probably completely overwhelm hospitals in most countries. If this does get bad, then looking after the sick, or simply isolating with them, is going to massively change society and potentially wreck the economy.

Governments are moving to draconian measures to limit the spread, but unless the virus somehow vanishes completely they are probably just delaying the inevitable. Once the lock-downs end, the spread may start again or return in the autumn with the colder weather. During the Spanish Flu pandemic in 1918/9, the second wave was far more deadly. It's a very difficult situation.

And it's going to hit societies with more poorly supplied health care systems harder.

Regarding the Spanish Flu, that epidemic is atypical because of how it propagated through the world. It hit early in 1918 and mostly died off outside the trenches. Inside the trenches however the disease still spread, fast, and soldiers tend to be on the average healthy young men with very strong immune systems.

This meant that unlike most other diseases which actually become less lethal over time (so as to better spread and infect before the host dies), the Spanish Flu became more lethal because otherwise it got wiped out early and before transmission.

Combine this with WW1 lasting well into the autumn and many soldiers not returning from the trenches until well into November 1918, as well as the generally closely packed nature of life in the trenches and the need for soldiers to stay at their posts even if they're not in the best shape and, well, you get a breeding ground for a potent disease indeed. And a disease that will have infected a large number of the returning soldiers, who are returning to a home that is not prepared for the disease they are carrying with them.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 02:39:49 AM »
I also read that the virus seems to thrive within a fairly narrow temperature range; about 5C to 11C.

Not sure how reliable that is, but if true we might be saved by global warming :)

I would like to believe that, but if you check the Johns Hopkins University website, you see there are a lot of cases already in Iceland, Brazil, Africa, Australia, Canada.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 03:13:09 AM »
We (in Sweden) now see the backside of the end of the Cold war era. In 1990 we had a well built out defence, both military and civilian. 115 civilian hospitals with emergency wards, beds around 125000, in hospitals and re purposed schools.
50 mobile military hospitals, 35 army and 15 marine. Each field hospital had six operating rooms and an intensive care unit with 18 respirators, bed capacity in military hospitals were around 10000. In storage supplies for 150 000 wounded, 630 new respirators...
All this and 93% of the army was disbanded, with all the civilian defence...
Today we have 71 civilian hospitals and 2 military field hospitals, ( company size ) with total of 16 intensive care units... In total we have around 600 intensive care beds... In the whole of Sweden... That's for 10 million people...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:52:27 AM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
Well, Ukraine is locked down from today. Nearly no interurban mass transit nor urban w/o masks, nearly no meetings over 20, plenty of work moving at home mode.
I hope it will help with peak emergency load; ambulance is overload already with panic flu calls.

Offline Frick

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:14 AM »
We (in Sweden) now see the backside of the end of the Cold war era. In 1990 we had a well built out defence, both military and civilian. 115 civilian hospitals with emergency wards, beds around 125000, in hospitals and re purposed schools.
50 mobile military hospitals, 35 army and 15 marine. Each field hospital had six operating rooms and an intensive care unit with 18 respirators, bed capacity in military hospitals were around 10000. In storage supplies for 150 000 wounded, 630 new respirators...
Today we have 71 civilian hospitals and 2 military field hospitals, ( company size ) with total of 16 intensive care units... In total we have around 600 intensive care beds... In the whole of Sweden... That's for 10 million people...

And getting rid of all emergency supplies. AFAIK we used to have lots of oil and foodstuffs I think stored away, but all of that is gone. Also how healthcare in general is just not working, for many reasons beyond being cut down..

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »
Actually me and another friend are showing  symptoms.  I'm mildly scared because I'm asthmatic so it could be a complication.  But otherwise it's a very minor cough so far, so I'm okay.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2020, 11:12:43 PM »
Scary, hope it is just the common cold, flu, or allergies. Get well soon.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2020, 02:12:11 AM »

In France we are 66 million with 6000 intensive care and 6000 extra that are refurbished by cannibalizing others services, so that's on par. In Italy they have at most 5000 beds. So your country is in line... 

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2020, 03:05:39 AM »
I would gently suggest that this is perhaps not the time or place for xenophobia of this nature.

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, Kristover, amram, papent, smoelf, serger

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 04:27:55 AM »
I would gently suggest that this is perhaps not the time or place for xenophobia of this nature.
Its not a "phobia", its reality. As much as some people want to deny that.
You cant discuss the issues of global pandemic and try to be completely detached from reality.
Sorry it doesnt work that way.

So either we discuss real life stuff here or we lock down this thread and discuss only VB8/C#/other games.
Which i would welcome because i am sick of real life stuff everywhere i go and i want for at least my favourite sf game to be free of that cancer.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »
Quote from: GodEmperor link=topic=10609. msg119774#msg119774 date=1584610075
Quote from: Panopticon link=topic=10609. msg119773#msg119773 date=1584605139
Its not a "phobia", its reality.  As much as some people want to deny that.
You cant discuss the issues of global pandemic and try to be completely detached from reality.
Sorry it doesnt work that way.

So either we discuss real life stuff here or we lock down this thread and discuss only VB8/C#/other games. 
Which i would welcome because i am sick of real life stuff everywhere i go and i want for at least my favourite sf game to be free of that cancer.

And yet you started with the xenophobic comments . . .

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
I know in France and Spain people are being find several hundred Euros for breaking quarantine. However, the Isle of Man is always draconian on law and order (which probably explains why we have hardly any crime). Anyone arriving on the island has to self-quarantine for 14 days. It was announced today that the penalty for anyone breaking that quarantine is three months in jail and a £10,000 fine.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »
I would also reply that while rational people can have debates about levels and scope of immigration, let's not go down the road of demonizing any ethnic or racial group - after all, the virus isn't making any distinctions.  Also, as an American who lives in a city with a huge regional medical teaching and research hub, many of those doctors, chemists, and researchers who are going to save us are foreign born or second gen American.  Lets check that xenophobic nonsense at the door. 

The following users thanked this post: Bremen, papent, smoelf, serger

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »
Just going to say, keep it civil. There is no need to read every post on this board. If you don't agree with a topic, move on.