Author Topic: Diplomacy  (Read 1866 times)

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
Diplomacy
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »
I've got a multi-nation start going on for my first serious game.   There are 4 nations in total.   I've made diplomacy teams and yet whenever I set them, they seem to reset themselves after I switch through races a few times.   What will happen is that I will start with one race and send diplomats to the other 3 races.   Then I will go through and do this with the other races, but by the time I get back to the original race I discover that none of the teams are assigned, even though I had literally /just/ went through and assigned them all.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »
Having the same problem. If I assign too many teams, they reset themselves. Didn't check exactly when it happens, I mean which is the maximum number allowed.

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:35:31 AM »
That's another person with the same problem.  Is this something I should report in the bugs thread, or does anyone have any answers?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
If you're absolutely certain that you've actually assigned the team, then you should report it on the bugs thread.

My recollection is (I don't have the game open at the moment) that there's a button you need to push after you've got the name of the team showing up, i.e. that it's easy to think you've assigned the team when actually you haven't.  I could be wrong about this, though.

To make sure the team is actually getting un-assigned, close all windows after assigning the team, then re-open diplomacy.  If you see the team where you think you assigned it (and then it disappears after assigning another team), then you're correct.  If not, it sounds like a bug.  It's hard to understand how this bug would be implemented, though, since Aurora uses a relational database, so there tend not to be arrays sitting around that you can run out of room in.

John

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
I tried now. I can set a total of three diplomatic teams at work. When I set the fourth, one of the others is deassigned automatically. I don't know if it has anything t do with the number of factions, because I have three factions.
MagusXIX, are you reporting it?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »
Weird.  A particular race can only have 1 team assigned to each race it knows about, but it sounds like you know this.  The only thing I can think of is that somehow you're not managing to fully switch over to the other races, so you assign 3 teams from Race A, but when you switch to Race B and try to assign another team it thinks you're still assigning Race A teams and so bumps whichever team is assigned to the same race.

John

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:45:14 AM »
Yeah, I'll report it.  What I'm finding is that with 4 nations I can assign 4 diplomacy teams.  When I assign a fifth, one of the first four gets dropped.  The one dropped is never from the race which I currently have selected.  Essentially, I can only have 4 diplomatic teams assigned at a time unless they are all from one race (haven't tested out more than 4 from one race yet, as I haven't met enough races to do so.)

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »
Weird.  A particular race can only have 1 team assigned to each race it knows about, but it sounds like you know this.  The only thing I can think of is that somehow you're not managing to fully switch over to the other races, so you assign 3 teams from Race A, but when you switch to Race B and try to assign another team it thinks you're still assigning Race A teams and so bumps whichever team is assigned to the same race.

John

I'll try switching via just the map (which is how I usually do it.)  Then I'll see if switching via the Select Default Race option has the same issue.  Then I'll try fully exiting the game between each race switch and see if that effects anything.  Then I'll come back and edit this post with what I've found.

Alright, under all 3 conditions it's the same.  I don't know if there's any other way to change races, so if indeed it is a problem with not fully switching over then it's not an end-user problem, it's something in the code for diplomacy and/or switching races.  Reporting now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:58:12 AM by MagusXIX »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »
I've checked the code. There was a limit of one team being assigned to an alien race, rather than a limit of one team for each race assigning a team to that alien race.

Fixed for v6.30

Steve

Offline MagusXIX (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »
Thanks, Steve!  That's one less thing that I'll have to gimmick with the SM controls now.   ;D