Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252750 times)

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:32 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of antagonism (at least more than usual) coming from people on the forum regarding the release or certain mechanics. The ultimate power move would be for Steve to just not release the game, which would be absolutely hilarious but also so very disappointing.

I've at least noticed a few posts on these forums and in the discord that want to knee jerk react and assume joking comments are "Serious business", then make comments about how much more reasonable they are. :p
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #586 on: March 27, 2020, 08:52:12 PM »
Sometimes it is necessary to observe the ancient MST3k wisdom: 'It's just a show,
I should really just relax.'

(Aurora being “just” a game is not in any way meant to undermine Steve’s passion and effort that he puts into it, but as far as anyone else is concerned, at the end of the day it’s take it as is or leave it.)

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #587 on: March 27, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »
Work at your own pace Steve, we are just extremely excited which is telling of your work quality. Better slow and steady than rushed. There's an old-folk saying here that roughly translates to "hurrying up doesn't do smeg or kid". Don't stress man.

I tried playing stellaris to pass the time, I couldn't do it. I kept thinking all the time "if I was playing Aurora right now I could do y or x instead of c"

Yep, while I'll be sad if it gets delayed, I don't think anyone's going to riot if the release is late. We understand that things happen sometimes.

Also, I doubt many impatient people play a game like Aurora  :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:03:30 PM by Bremen »

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, mpf0214, Alsadius

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2020, 02:22:18 AM »
HAHA releasing the Bannerlord one day earlier  ;D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2020, 03:44:41 AM »
March 32nd wouldnt be so bad, of course not april 1st, everyone would just assume its a joke.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #590 on: March 28, 2020, 06:27:26 AM »
Basic Diplomacy (Part 1), except the damage section, and Diplomatic Ships (Part 8) working as intended (as per screenshot). Part 7 (Banned Bodies) already tested as well.

NPRs are using their Diplomacy ships to influence the British, but the British are not currently detecting those ships, so the British just know the location in which the contact originated.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #591 on: March 28, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »
I'm editing some of the Diplomacy posts as I go, so it will be worth rereading them after launch.

I'm making slower progress than I hoped, so early warning that the date might slip a day or two. I'll keep posting updates.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, Zincat, mpf0214, Kiri

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #592 on: March 28, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
I'm editing some of the Diplomacy posts as I go, so it will be worth rereading them after launch.

I'm making slower progress than I hoped, so early warning that the date might slip a day or two. I'll keep posting updates.

Not a problem. It feels like the last stretch. We waited quite a bit, we can wait a couple of days more XD

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #593 on: March 28, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »

Not a problem. It feels like the last stretch. We waited quite a bit, we can wait a couple of days more XD

As I work through Diplomacy, it is causing me to mess around with other areas such as system value to avoid NPRs claiming too many systems. That is the unknown factor at the moment.

Offline Retropunch

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #594 on: March 28, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »
Absolutely worth taking your time on the last stretch - as Zincat says, we've waited this long. Can't wait till it's out though!

EDIT: Just a quick thought on diplomacy and Independence - do you think it'd make sense for independents to lose a bit of tech/intel/wealth if it was due to unrest/rebellion? It would help simulate all the upheaval such an event would cause, and mean that you don't have two exact civilisation clones.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:05:06 PM by Retropunch »

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #595 on: March 28, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »
Good thing I still have my job to exhaust and otherwise keep me occupied, weeks tend to fly by for me.
Well, for now.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #596 on: March 28, 2020, 05:55:04 PM »
One of the things that has slowed down testing is that I've run into a logical issue with system value. In my original code, NPRs value a system based on existing population and installations, whether it is a logistics node, mining potential, terraforming potential, presence of low colony cost planets, proximity to other important systems and access to other systems that would be cut off by the loss of the system in question.

However, that can cause them to value systems a long way from their capital, based purely on mining or terraforming potential. That estimate of value will then cause them to order players and other NPRs to leave and because this might apply to many systems, especially when the races all have the same home system, it will rapidly increase threat and cause a war.

On the other hand, if they don't place value on these systems then they will not object when players claim them, which would disadvantage the AI.

Therefore, I think I am going to change system value so that systems where the only value is from potential, be that mining, terraforming or low colony cost planets, will be set as Claimed. Furthermore, NPRs will only Claim systems that are adjacent to an existing system that has at least Secondary value. Finally, NPRs will not ask players to leave Claimed systems, only those of Secondary value or higher. However, they will resist players demanding they leave Claimed systems. I hope that will resolve the issues above without disadvantaging NPRs too much.

EDIT: I am also going to add a proviso that NPRs will only accept claims on a system if the opposing race has a population in that system with an EM signature of at least 250. That is 5m pop without installations and would be valued as Secondary by the NPR.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:27:54 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: kks, bro918, SultanPepper

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #597 on: March 28, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
I don't see a problem with an expansionist NPR going to war over a terraforming candidate or a minerally valuable system, especially in a Real Stars game where interesting systems might be pretty scattered.

What if, instead of applying a penalty that is the sum of all the penalties for mutual claimed systems, you take only the maximum penalty (or several penalties)? For example, if two NPRs are both interested in systems with values 5, 3, 2, 2, instead of applying a penalty for each, just apply the penalty for the most interesting shared system(s).

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #598 on: March 28, 2020, 07:37:52 PM »
Do NPRs value distant systems less? And can NPRs see/figure out how far away from another empire's territory a system is? At least when they have identified at least one settled system and the jump route from that system to the one they are considering?

Because a penalty from number of jump points/millions of kilometers away from a valuable system would be quite sensible, as would a penalty or bonus for a system that it's estimating to be closer to another empire than to its own borders, depending on why it would want to establish a presence there. Expansionist/Militant empires would be more willing to establish a forward military position to check a rival's expansion after all, while a having a few highly valuable in minerals and living space colonies right on the border of another empire might not be to the preference of a more peaceful or xenophobic empire (if for different reasons).

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #599 on: March 28, 2020, 08:15:35 PM »
Perhaps addittional value could be placed on distant systems if they're particularly valuable, perhaps if the NPR is close to or feeling mineral or fuel shortages, they may see the best system thats close enough within reason to be worth claiming and building up, or even going to war over.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "