Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252702 times)

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #570 on: March 25, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
A ship without transponder activated can't be confirmed to be anyone without accurate sensor reading. It could be potentially abused to strike at a rival faction without revealing yourself, thus leaving the culprit of the attack to remain unconfirmed. You'd have to be really, really careful about it thought, because if the ship used in the attack is identified and then seen flying your colours, the gig is up.
So like old school privateers.

In that particular instance, yes. In a more real world scenario, transponders are used, particularly in aviation, for traffic control and international controls. Most nations have air defense zones, and in times of war, or in particularly sensitive areas, transponders are a necessity to not getting shot at.

As a poster above mentioned it, its kind of a politeness thing. "Hi, its me your boring commercial hauler, im supposed to be here, and my flight plan is filed" kind of thing. Something that can be easily checked against.

As for "false flagging" as mentioned by the previous poster, in the privateer or secret strike role, its a high tech spoofing of a transponder to make you show as something you are not, or to black out your force so as to not give away your identity.

That would only work once, and only for ships that had not been encountered before. By Steve's previously established EW logic, most ships that are scanned by sensors are recorded and logged. So, much like modern submarines, that log can be reviewed to identify a ship, any time it is seen again. That being the case, a false flag strike on another power would only work if those ships were never going to be seen by that power again. Otherwise, they are eventually going to figure it out. That also includes the classes involved.

So, while you could in theory turn of your transponders, attack another power, its only going to work once (ok, maybe a few times) and only if the ships and ship classes used are never used by your empire again. Otherwise, your busted.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #571 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:37 AM »
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Not loooooooooooong!

*Squeals*
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #572 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:45 AM »
Hey, weren't you supposed to be at the Auroraholics Anonymous meeting last night.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #573 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:46 AM »
Hey, weren't you supposed to be at the Auroraholics Anonymous meeting last night.

Social distancing mate.  ;D
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

The following users thanked this post: SultanPepper

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
Quick Update. I'm about 1-2 days behind where I wanted to be at this stage (work keeps interfering). I've begun testing Diplomacy and I am already making changes and additions, but I hope to finish that this weekend, which means install program and obfuscation may slip into next week. Still possible by March 31st though if everything goes well.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, MarcAFK, Alsadius

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
March 32nd?  March 34th?  March 40th?

The following users thanked this post: ReviewDude01

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
Quick Update. I'm about 1-2 days behind where I wanted to be at this stage (work keeps interfering). I've begun testing Diplomacy and I am already making changes and additions, but I hope to finish that this weekend, which means install program and obfuscation may slip into next week. Still possible by March 31st though if everything goes well.

This and BannerLords coming out on the same day is both awesome and awful!  <I love me some Mount and Blade what can I say?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:03:01 PM by Kristover »

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

This means Aurora C# and Mount & Blade 2 on the same day..... this is a problem.  :-\

Offline ehwhoami

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • WhoAmI
  • Discord Username: EhWhoAmI#3746
« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:49 PM »
Quote from: Tikigod link=topic=10096. msg120032#msg120032 date=1585338720
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120029#msg120029 date=1585334496
Quick Update.  I'm about 1-2 days behind where I wanted to be at this stage (work keeps interfering).  I've begun testing Diplomacy and I am already making changes and additions, but I hope to finish that this weekend, which means install program and obfuscation may slip into next week.  Still possible by March 31st though if everything goes well.

This means Aurora C# and Mount & Blade 2 on the same day. . . . .  this is a problem.   :-\

Obviously Aurora C# comes first

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2020, 03:00:50 PM »
Quote from: Tikigod link=topic=10096. msg120032#msg120032 date=1585338720
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120029#msg120029 date=1585334496
Quick Update.  I'm about 1-2 days behind where I wanted to be at this stage (work keeps interfering).  I've begun testing Diplomacy and I am already making changes and additions, but I hope to finish that this weekend, which means install program and obfuscation may slip into next week.  Still possible by March 31st though if everything goes well.

This means Aurora C# and Mount & Blade 2 on the same day. . . . .  this is a problem.   :-\

Obviously Aurora C# comes first

I am so conflicted now.  :(

Do you think Taleworlds would agree to delay by 3-4 days if I wrote a polite E-mail explaining the situation?

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #580 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
Work at your own pace Steve, we are just extremely excited which is telling of your work quality. Better slow and steady than rushed. There's an old-folk saying here that roughly translates to "hurrying up doesn't do smeg or kid". Don't stress man.

I tried playing stellaris to pass the time, I couldn't do it. I kept thinking all the time "if I was playing Aurora right now I could do y or x instead of c"

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #581 on: March 27, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
If it is on March 31st, it will be the best 30th birthday gift ever. :)

Online Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #582 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of antagonism (at least more than usual) coming from people on the forum regarding the release or certain mechanics. The ultimate power move would be for Steve to just not release the game, which would be absolutely hilarious but also so very disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:24:59 PM by Coleslaw35 »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, bro918

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #583 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:31 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of antagonism (at least more than usual) coming from people on the forum regarding the release and certain mechanics. The ultimate power move would be for Steve to just not release the game, which would be absolutely hilarious but also so very disappointing.

Not really sure I see the antagonism much at least in this particular thread.  I know I was just joking above about MB2 and C# on the same day being awful - having both on the same day is a GOOD problem to have.  People are just excited to get their hands on it and will be praising Steve's name and gleefully putting C# through the paces and posting bug reports/AARs and having the time of their lives upon release.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:45:31 PM by Kristover »

Offline ReviewDude01

• Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #584 on: March 27, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »
.. Still possible by March 31st though if everything goes well.

March 2020 ?  8)