Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38186 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
I think you need cargo shuttle bays on the ship.
Yep - that was it.  :-[

Technically, shuttles on the ground works too.

Offline Franss22

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
BTW, what happened to the multiple resolutions? I remember beardian saying in the hype train that there would be some options for different resolutions.  Did that get scrapped?

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Deutschbag link=topic=10649. msg121390#msg121390 date=1586727601
What exactly does HQ capacity represent? Is it the number of units that an HQ can effectively command?

Tonnage/size that a commander can command - I think you need to have sufficient "HQ tonnage" to allow an officer to provide bonuses to a ground unit, plus you need to have a bigger HQ size for units higher up the hierarchy if you want to structure your ground forces that way.  There's a wiki post which I found helpful on this: hxxp: aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=C-Ground_Units#Formation_Element_Transfer

Are you certain this is correct? When I create a race using "Automatically design ground forces" it gives something like this:

Notably, the Infantry Regiment, with a given size of 13056, has an HQ rating of 7000.

Is that a bug in the generation of ground units, or something strange with regards to HQ sizing?

BTW, what happened to the multiple resolutions? I remember beardian saying in the hype train that there would be some options for different resolutions.  Did that get scrapped?

That's supposed to be coming later, per Steve.

The following users thanked this post: Franss22

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »
I am unsure how to use Standing Orders. I have my survey ships prepared but when I select: Survey Next Five System Bodies, they do nothing. I can give them manual command, for example Mercury: Geological Survey and that works fine. But I have no idea how to automate the survey of whole star system.

Offline Demonius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
I noticed the geo ships or grav ships sometimes "rest" for a bit before they perform the next order set.

What I was wondering, I created a small Geosurvey troop of 15 medium 2x Geo sensor Rovers, (didn't add HQ or anything else, Maybe that wasn't so good), dropped them on Mars, and see them listed as standing on Mars which supposedly has a low chance of extra Survey, but no idea to monitor how the Survey Progresses or if it actually started.  (I know in VB6 there was no indication of Progress either but there dropping a Geo Team was just the way to go, and here everything is new :p)

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
I am unsure how to use Standing Orders. I have my survey ships prepared but when I select: Survey Next Five System Bodies, they do nothing. I can give them manual command, for example Mercury: Geological Survey and that works fine. But I have no idea how to automate the survey of whole star system.
So, I ran into this two. It seems you have to order them to do something first, then the standing orders kick in. I manually had them geo luna, mars and ceres and now they are happily zipping around.

Offline ropedog

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
Quote from: AlStar link=topic=10649. msg121359#msg121359 date=1586723264
Quote from: ropedog link=topic=10649. msg121357#msg121357 date=1586722992
I hate to even ask this, but for the life of me I can't find the button to advance time!  I select 1 day increments and auto sub-pulse, but then what???
Thanks.
Top right button on the main screen (the red button) makes it so that time will auto-advance until it hits a stop condition (it'll turn green when it's on).
To advance time, it's the top row of time increments (5 seconds - 30 days).
I was trying that button before, but nothing happens.   Doesn't sound like anyone else is having this issue. . .   I'll try re-downloading/installing and see if that works. . .

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
Anyone know how to get the detection ranges of Deep Space Tracking Stations on the map? "Passive vs Signature X" only seems to show ship sensors.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2020, 07:52:22 PM »
So, I ran into this two. It seems you have to order them to do something first, then the standing orders kick in. I manually had them geo luna, mars and ceres and now they are happily zipping around.

I tried this, but unfortunately it did not help. My ships complete survey of the manually selected planets and then they sit in orbit. I tried to run the game for several days to see if they start moving, but unfortunately no change for me. Here is screen of Naval Organization Tab:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:07:18 PM by Black »

Offline MrHuman

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2020, 07:57:14 PM »
You used to be able to measure distances in the system map in VB6, but I can't figure out how to do it in C#.  Is that feature still in the game?

Offline Harold65

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
Quote from: AlStar link=topic=10649. msg121353#msg121353 date=1586722754
I'm certain that I'm missing something obvious - I cannot figure out how to colonize the Moon.  I've created a colony, dumped infrastructure and some auto mines on it, but although my colony ships have the option to pick up colonists from Earth, there's no matching command to drop off the colonists when I select the colony fleet with my Luna colony.

I've even tried setting standing orders for the colony ships to "Unload Colonists" and "Unload Passengers" with no effect.

How do you dump the installations/automines on the colony?  I can get my cargo ships to load them and travel to the colony (Mars) but there's no Unload All Installations option on the Move Orders

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2020, 08:48:51 PM »
First thing I'd check is the same thing that turned out to be the answer for my colony ships - do your transports have Cargo Shuttle Bays? Earth has the facilities to load ships missing such, but they'll be unable to do anything when they arrive at the barren rock you want to start a colony at.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »
Notably, the Infantry Regiment, with a given size of 13056, has an HQ rating of 7000.

Is that a bug in the generation of ground units, or something strange with regards to HQ sizing?

I wonder if all HQ units are added into pool of HQ power for the formation. How many HQ units does the formation contain?

Offline Harold65

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »
Quote from: AlStar link=topic=10649. msg121475#msg121475 date=1586742531
First thing I'd check is the same thing that turned out to be the answer for my colony ships - do your transports have Cargo Shuttle Bays? Earth has the facilities to load ships missing such, but they'll be unable to do anything when they arrive at the barren rock you want to start a colony at.

Yup, that did it.   I added cargo shuttle bay to my cargo ship, and it became an option.  Thanks.

Offline Ynglaur

• Petty Officer
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »
Is there a way to change the starting population for the player race in a new game?  I'm trying to do a conventional start with a mostly-accurate population for Earth (i.e. several billion rather than 500 million).