Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38471 times)

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Quote from: Bughunter link=topic=10649. msg122578#msg122578 date=1586883380
Quote from: Kamilo link=topic=10649. msg122563#msg122563 date=1586882386
I'm missing the "Transfer Fuel to Colony" option.   The ship is marked as tanker and the colony has several spaceports, 10 to be precise.   Am I missing something?

A refuelling station maybe? May be needed for transfer in any direction.

But then I would need a massive fuel station around each colony, since I cant transfer it.

There should be a refueling system that you can add for a single ship. Makes it cable of transferring fuel out.
If you want it to refill at the colony, the colony probably needs something similar
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2020, 04:23:38 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that since there are no more PDC's that you can use surface-to-orbit weapons for PPV. But I can't find it again, and my formations seemingly does not add any PPV to the colony. Did I misremember or is there a mistake in the design?

Code: [Select]
CDF Laser STO
Transport Size (tons) 252     Cost 17,08     Armour 12     Hit Points 18
Annual Maintenance Cost 2,1     Resupply Cost 0

10cm C1 Infrared Laser
Range 30.000 km      Tracking 1.250 km/s      Damage 3 / 1     Shots 1     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 100.000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 70%
Maximum Sensor Range 1.381.974km      Min Range vs Missile 150.497 km

Duranium  0,3    Boronide  3,9    Vendarite  0,48    Uridium  3    Corundium  1   
Development Cost  170

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that since there are no more PDC's that you can use surface-to-orbit weapons for PPV. But I can't find it again, and my formations seemingly does not add any PPV to the colony. Did I misremember or is there a mistake in the design?

CDF Laser STO
Transport Size (tons) 252     Cost 17,08     Armour 12     Hit Points 18
Annual Maintenance Cost 2,1     Resupply Cost 0

10cm C1 Infrared Laser
Range 30.000 km      Tracking 1.250 km/s      Damage 3 / 1     Shots 1     Rate of Fire 15
Maximum Fire Control Range 100.000km      Chance to Hit at Max Range 70%
Maximum Sensor Range 1.381.974km      Min Range vs Missile 150.497 km

Duranium  0,3    Boronide  3,9    Vendarite  0,48    Uridium  3    Corundium  1   
Development Cost  170

That was the plan, but if no PPV is showing up on the Formation tab, then it's probably not in yet.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2020, 05:32:48 AM »
Quick and dumb questions I haven't gotten far enough to test myself

1) With orbital habitats can I colonise Gas Giants, having all the population on in Habitats?

2) Can I use STOs to fire Geo Survey Probes, I liked to RP pre ship exploration that way using PDCs and redesign Nukes for Pre-TN starts

3) What are static units with regards to ground forces? Can they still be deployed? What are they in RP terms

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
1. No - orbital habitats require a colony to work with, they do not work on their own. You can make a space station that orbits a gas giant if you want to RP it.

2. STOs are beam only. You can make a survey missile and launch it form an orbital weapons platform that is fighter-sized to avoid having to use shipyards to build it.

3. Static units are just as transportable as any other ground unit. They depict towed weapons as well as rapid-assembly structures - so a Static HQ with Medium Armor, for example, could be a bunch of armored shipping containers dropped from a space ship to a planet whereas a Static Heavy Anti Aircraft could be long-range surface-to-air missiles on flatbed trucks that need to be set-up and connected to generators and radars and command modules before firing. Your imagination is the limit here. The big thing is that static can be entrenched with time and construction units like infantry can, whereas vehicles are more limited in that aspect. Depending on planetary terrain, that fortification bonus can be better than even the heaviest armor. On the other hand, Static and Infantry elements in a formation reduce the chances for that formation to succeed in a breakthrough attack.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2020, 07:10:26 AM »
Quick and dumb questions I haven't gotten far enough to test myself

1) With orbital habitats can I colonise Gas Giants, having all the population on in Habitats?

2) Can I use STOs to fire Geo Survey Probes, I liked to RP pre ship exploration that way using PDCs and redesign Nukes for Pre-TN starts

3) What are static units with regards to ground forces? Can they still be deployed? What are they in RP terms

1)  Probabaly yes, since at the moment gas giants and super-jovians can have colonies added to them.  This may be a bug; it may also stay in as an unintended feature.

These colonies have a zero max population, but that is eaxctly the situation Orbital Habitats are supposed to solve, so they should end up with a max pop of 0+250k, for example.

2)  No.  STO ground units are beam-weapon-only systems -- no missiles.  You can build a Space Station with one or more missile launchers, and launch your probes that way and roleplay it as a ground based system. . .  or even build it (or a fighter) that contains only a single missile launcher with no magazine (thus only one round) and after the geo-surv missiles runs out of endurance, scrap & salvage the SS or small craft.

3) Mechanics-wise, they have different armour & fortification levels compared to vehicles (more like infantry numbers) and can hold different (bigger) components than infantry.

Flavour-wise. . .  technically whatever you choose to roleplay them as.  If you're using a WWII aesthetic, they are towed weapons or fixed emplacements.  If you're RPing Starship Troopers they are giant plasma-blasting bugs.  With a medieval setting, they are trebuchets and catapults.

Offline Wieseltrupp

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
Does anyone know what Orbital habitat colony needs to function? Shuttle station? Spaceport?

I parked some Habs over a planet but they do not seem to register to the colony though ones that aren't yet towed register at the homeworld as additional capacity.

I am running into the same problem where i pushed a couple of Orbital Habitats into Pluto Orbit. Providing a Cargo Shuttle Station on Pluto does not solve the issue that the Habitat is not shown in the Colony screen

Outreach class Orbital Habitat      2 504 437 tons       160 Crew       1 158.1 BP       TCS 50 089    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 131      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 0    Max Repair 200 MSP
Habitation Capacity 1 000 000   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

EDIT
Adding a Spaceport via SM doesn not change this situation
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:47:30 AM by Wieseltrupp »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »
So I finally realized that I can move units between formations, but I am not sure if it is possible to only move certain number of units?

Lets say that my Artillery battery lost 6 howitzers. I have replacement unit with 20 howitzers. Can I move only 6 from those 20 or do I have to make replacement unit with exactly 6 howitzers?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »
So I finally realized that I can move units between formations, but I am not sure if it is possible to only move certain number of units?

Lets say that my Artillery battery lost 6 howitzers. I have replacement unit with 20 howitzers. Can I move only 6 from those 20 or do I have to make replacement unit with exactly 6 howitzers?

You can move any amount (including negative numbers, which merely moves them the other way) of ground units from one formation to another.  The easiest way to do this to open two copies of the Ground Unit screen and drag-and-drop from one to the other.

Offline Faber81

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »
Quote from: Wieseltrupp link=topic=10649. msg123182#msg123182 date=1586960086
Quote from: Doren link=topic=10649. msg121767#msg121767 date=1586792703
Does anyone know what Orbital habitat colony needs to function? Shuttle station? Spaceport?

I parked some Habs over a planet but they do not seem to register to the colony though ones that aren't yet towed register at the homeworld as additional capacity.

I am running into the same problem where i pushed a couple of Orbital Habitats into Pluto Orbit.  Providing a Cargo Shuttle Station on Pluto does not solve the issue that the Habitat is not shown in the Colony screen

Outreach class Orbital Habitat      2 504 437 tons       160 Crew       1 158.1 BP       TCS 50 089    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 131      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 0    Max Repair 200 MSP
Habitation Capacity 1 000 000   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

EDIT
Adding a Spaceport via SM doesn not change this situation
How do you add infrastructures via SM? I just can't find the way to edit them. . .

Offline Wieseltrupp

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »
Enable SM, open the Economics screen and switch to civilian economy, the leftmost list shows the structures in the colony and the dropdown above it lets you choose the item that you add with the "SM Add" button

The following users thanked this post: Faber81

Offline Faber81

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »
I see, thanks. It used to be on the summary screen in old Aurora. I really need to re-learn a lot of things with the changed UI
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:32:50 AM by Faber81 »

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
In VB6, you used to be able to edit the radiation and dust levels of a colony using the SM Mods tab on the economy window. Is that still possible in C# Aurora?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »
In VB6, you used to be able to edit the radiation and dust levels of a colony using the SM Mods tab on the economy window. Is that still possible in C# Aurora?
Nope, cannot be done currently.

The following users thanked this post: SevenOfCarina

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2020, 12:20:00 PM »
During medal design, the "Allow multiple awards" checkbox.

Does it mean that it can be given to multiple people, or that a person might get it multiple times or both?

I assume the first..?
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary