Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38509 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2020, 03:48:09 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10649.   msg127420#msg127420 date=1587676137
If your chosen settings would result in more than 100 sub-pulses, Aurora will ignore them (though it should still advance time).     If you do not select a sub-pulse length, Aurora will use its defualts.   

Your statement does make 0 sense.   
Pulse 1h, sub 1h -> ship doesnt use auto commands
Pulse 3h, sub 1h -> ship does auto commands

The sub-pulse didnt change at all.   

And the argument of "space stations dont move so they dont need armour, but moving ships do" is bad as well. 
Not only from a mechanical standpoint/logic inconsitencies in the game, but also because you can tractor beam them, effectivly moving them. 

Sincerely

If your increment length was one hour and your sub-pulse length was one hour, then no sub-pulses were run.  The code wasn't even called.  This is an important clue to the  bug.

- - - - -

It's not an argument; it's game mechanics.  Structural Shells can not have armour, can not have engines, and can be built with planetary industry (if there is also a Spaceport at the colony).

Ships must have armour, may have engines, and can not be built by planetary industry (though some of their components may be, for later installation via shipyard).

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2020, 03:51:02 PM »
How can I set up bunkers for my troops with PDC gone?

Advance time.  Your troops will build their own bunkers to the best of their ability, or double that if supported by ground units with construction equipment.

How to have surface based missiles bases?

You can't.  They were deliberately removed form Aurora for the C# rewrite.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #257 on: April 24, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
On 1.8.

Trying to design a ground unit that has both genetic enhancements and boarding capability.
I recall this being possible in previous  games, but now I can select just one option in the 'improvements panel'.

What am I missing here?

I don't know, I haven't tried it myself, but have you tried shift-clicking, ctrl-clicking or drag-and-dropping, or drawing a box around the (multiple) desired options?  Have you tried accepting just one option, then going all through the process again to add the second one?

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2020, 11:59:33 PM »

Advance time.  Your troops will build their own bunkers to the best of their ability, or double that if supported by ground units with construction equipment.

So less choices in strategy, not sure I like that. I wonder why this was removed, ground based missiles base, protected by layers of concrete and steel were a nice touch.

The following users thanked this post: DoctorDanny

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2020, 12:32:38 AM »

So less choices in strategy, not sure I like that. I wonder why this was removed, ground based missiles base, protected by layers of concrete and steel were a nice touch.
PDCs were removed because their required code was a pain to maintain.  The new ground forces system is the replacement, but it doesn't do everything the old system did.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline DoctorDanny

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2020, 03:52:23 AM »
On 1.8.

Trying to design a ground unit that has both genetic enhancements and boarding capability.
I recall this being possible in previous  games, but now I can select just one option in the 'improvements panel'.

What am I missing here?

I don't know, I haven't tried it myself, but have you tried shift-clicking, ctrl-clicking or drag-and-dropping, or drawing a box around the (multiple) desired options?  Have you tried accepting just one option, then going all through the process again to add the second one?

CTRL-click does the trick. Thanks.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2020, 10:50:24 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2020, 01:05:03 PM »
I think the answer is no, but still...

Can a Tug pull a  Space Station through JP that has not been stabilized? Assuming there's a Jump Tender with the correct sized Jump Drive at the JP.
If yes, what is the correct sized Jump Drive? Tug + Space Station tonnage or just each one by them self?
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »

Can a Tug pull a  Space Station through JP that has not been stabilized? Assuming there's a Jump Tender with the correct sized Jump Drive at the JP.
If yes, what is the correct sized Jump Drive? Tug + Space Station tonnage or just each one by them self?

If the space station is 400k tons and the tug is 20k tons with commercial engine - so long as the tugs jump engine is rated 400k tons commercial and has a squadron size of at least 2 you should be able to do a squadron jump - i think. Standard transit will fail.

If the tug is military engined then the jump engine would have to be military as well.

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2020, 01:13:27 PM »

If the space station is 400k tons and the tug is 20k tons with commercial engine - so long as the tugs jump engine is rated 400k tons commercial and has a squadron size of at least 2 you should be able to do a squadron jump - i think. Standard transit will fail.

If the tug is military engined then the jump engine would have to be military as well.

Perfect!

Except for the "I think" part  :D
But enough for me to at least give it a go. Thanks
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
The tug and its load count as two separate ships and are treated exactly the same as two otherwise-unrelated ships in the same fleet.

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
The tug and its load count as two separate ships and are treated exactly the same as two otherwise-unrelated ships in the same fleet.

Yes, but the load doesn't have any engines. So wasn't sure it could jump even then pulled by a tug

Offline DoctorDanny

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »
So... I've run into hostile aliens.

The brave men and women of my space fleet stand ready to avenge the unprovoked deaths of their friends of Geo Survey Craft #4.
Problem is though, that they have me as supreme admiral and that I'm completely clueless when it comes to combat.

I've managed to assign weapons and missile types to firecontrols and set pd assignments.
My ships don't use AMMs or PD to destroy enemy missiles though (they aint even trying).
I think I'm missing something regarding targetting and firing.

Can anyone point me towards a C# combat tutorial?

Offline JuergenSchT

• Leading Rate
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
Quote from: Sara link=topic=10649. msg127283#msg127283 date=1587651555
Select increment legnth and sub-pulse to 1h each .  .  .   and the ships refuse to move. 
set increment length to 3h (and keep sub to 1h) and they do the orders as if everything is okey. 
Quote from: Sara link=topic=10649. msg127517#msg127517 date=1587717408
Pulse 1h, sub 1h -> ship doesnt use auto commands
Pulse 3h, sub 1h -> ship does auto commands
Interesting.  This reminds of some testing I did during VB6.
If any increment had a length of 3600 seconds or less, then any ships using standing orders (like survey vessels or the shipping lines)(aka "auto commands"), and without any queued orders, would not have their standing orders calculated (i. e.  they would stand still without doing anything, irregardless of sub-pulse length.
But if the total increment was longer than 3600 seconds, then standing orders would be calculated as normal[1], but not executed during that increment (the ships would not move, even if the calculated orders took place in the same place, system body or else).
Those orders would be processed regularly in the next increment.
If the queued orders for ships using standing orders would be finished in a single increment longer than 3600 seconds, then new orders would be calculated and saved at the end of the increment (but again, they would only be executed in the next increment).
If queued orders were finished in an increment 1h long or less, then new standing orders would not be calculated.
These were observations I compiled back in the VB6 days, but I chose to copy them verbatim here because after some testing, I got the same results in C# 1. 80.

Now, I feel that this was acceptable for VB6 because calculating standing orders on shorter increments (or doing it multiple times in an increment) because performance would have suffered a hit otherwise, but I feel C# could afford some leeway because of the increased performance.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »

Yes, but the load doesn't have any engines. So wasn't sure it could jump even then pulled by a tug

It can, and standard transit will also work fine. I've towed over a dozen engineless sensor stations through jump points that had commercial jump drive tenders stationed there, standard transit, no problems.