Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38521 times)

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
"Tracking Time Bonus vs Missiles" is just any sensors seeing the missiles right?
Doesn't have to be sensors on the ship with the beam FC
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2020, 08:20:11 AM »
I have to be dumb, but how is everyone ensuring their empires continue to make money to further their expansion into space and the subjugation of alien species?

Researched up to 400 wealth per colonist, and I'm seeing a negative return even with a hundred finance buildings on the homeworld.  It used to be you could make a good twenty years doing the basics, building a stockpile and just exploring your home system before you would have a drop in income before the civilians started mining.  Though now, can't even seem to go three years before the crash hits.  Both in TN and conventional starts.  What gives?

Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.

The major change for C# is that you no longer collect tax from all population, only from population employed in your installations.
This means that just growing population is no longer effective at growing your income. You have to give people jobs.

If you have modified your starting conditions such that you start with fewer installations, this could explain why you have insufficient income, and why researching the wealth per colonist tech line doesn't help.

The following users thanked this post: Tyrannus Rex

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
"Tracking Time Bonus vs Missiles" is just any sensors seeing the missiles right?
Doesn't have to be sensors on the ship with the beam FC

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg115708#msg115708

Any freindly active sensor will do.

The following users thanked this post: Resand

Offline Tyrannus Rex

• Petty Officer
  • Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no b
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
I have to be dumb, but how is everyone ensuring their empires continue to make money to further their expansion into space and the subjugation of alien species?

Researched up to 400 wealth per colonist, and I'm seeing a negative return even with a hundred finance buildings on the homeworld.  It used to be you could make a good twenty years doing the basics, building a stockpile and just exploring your home system before you would have a drop in income before the civilians started mining.  Though now, can't even seem to go three years before the crash hits.  Both in TN and conventional starts.  What gives?

Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.

Increased Wealth governors can make a HUGE difference in C# Aurora.

The way in which empires generate wealth has changed significantly in C# Aurora.  If you're doing the same thign you've always done, it will give wildly different results.

The boom-and-bust cycle you describe in another post sounds a lot like Unrest (overcrowding, unemployment, or both) and/or worker shortages.  Are you exceeding your Infrastructure and/or pop cap limit?
Huh.  Re-reading 'Wealth Generation' it says that "the planned wealth reserve cap can be removed" so you shouldn't be hitting that.  Maybe it's a bug.

Nope, just on Earth to limit complications. No changes to pop or planet. Unrest is not an issue, and depending on population size I have had a shortage of workers. Though I have been limiting to just ten years so far. Might go for 100 to see further results.

I ran a few more games with 500, and 750 starting pops. Both of them with TN and Conventional starts. Both of them generated more wealth from the start, and continued to make more over time though when they ran into having more than 30 million available workers the earnings went to 0, even though the overall budget was positive no further funds generating. Its an interesting subject.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:39:49 PM by Tyrannus Rex »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2020, 12:11:29 AM »
Unemployment causes unrest.  Did your production modidifer drop to 0% (or stabilize at some level where expenses exactly equaled (reduced) income?)

Offline Tyrannus Rex

• Petty Officer
  • Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no b
« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2020, 03:34:06 AM »
Unemployment causes unrest.  Did your production modidifer drop to 0% (or stabilize at some level where expenses exactly equaled (reduced) income?)

The production modifier did not drop in any of the cases that I saw zero monetary production. And still no unrest. When I have a day off I'll do a fresh install again and see I can recreate this. As the questions you are asking should be relevant, and there should be an indication of some sort to what the cause is. I like a good puzzle, but this is like one of those that bugs you like a gnat flying around your head that you just can't squish.

Here is my testing setup
Latest install                                   
Sol start - known stars                              Sol start - known stars
pop levels 250; 350; 500; 700                   pop levels 250; 350; 500; 700
TN                                                           conventional

Sol start - known stars off                         Sol start - known stars off
pop levels 250; 350; 500; 700                   pop levels 250; 350; 500; 700
TN                                                           conventional

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2020, 05:03:19 AM »
Two questions.

1. Is there a way to change the rank theme after a race is created?

2. Is there a way to see which ranks are included in a rank theme without creating a race with it or going into the database?

I don't feel like setting up my ranks manually, but without knowing the ranks of a theme, it is hard to make a choice.

Offline Ametsala

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2020, 05:32:19 AM »
Two questions.

1. Is there a way to change the rank theme after a race is created?

2. Is there a way to see which ranks are included in a rank theme without creating a race with it or going into the database?

I don't feel like setting up my ranks manually, but without knowing the ranks of a theme, it is hard to make a choice.

I think the answer to both is No. At least I couldn't figure it out. I expected that the names would be plain text files somewhere in Aurora's installation directory, but only the pictures are there.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2020, 05:48:04 AM »
I think the answer to both is No. At least I couldn't figure it out. I expected that the names would be plain text files somewhere in Aurora's installation directory, but only the pictures are there.

Yeah, I think you are right. I ended up caving and found a database browser. The ranks are in there and pretty easy to find, but it would be nice to be able to change it after race creation. I'll probably put it i the suggestion thread.

Offline Resand

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
Anybody know of a way to delete missiles in flight?
I managed to launch 20 buoys towards a waypoint instead of 1. Would like to do some cleanup.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Gehm's Corollary

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2020, 05:08:44 AM »
Is there a way to set the % draw from Leader name lists like in VB?

Offline Eretzu

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2020, 05:14:29 AM »

In the race screen (flag button) there should be a tab with some name containing themes. Here you can add new themes and give them weight. If you want specific percentage, then you might need to fiddle a little.

The following users thanked this post: Vasious

Offline Vasious

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • V
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »

In the race screen (flag button) there should be a tab with some name containing themes. Here you can add new themes and give them weight. If you want specific percentage, then you might need to fiddle a little.

I thought that was for adding new themes in general so never clicked it, Thanks!

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Anyone know how to change the defensive fire mode of a beam fire control?

I know how to set it in the first place (drag a fire mode over to the fire control)... but once it's there, it seems to be stuck - dragging a new fire mode over the fire control doesn't appear to do anything, and I can't seem to drag the set fire mode off the fire controls to reset it.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
Anyone know how to change the defensive fire mode of a beam fire control?

I know how to set it in the first place (drag a fire mode over to the fire control)... but once it's there, it seems to be stuck - dragging a new fire mode over the fire control doesn't appear to do anything, and I can't seem to drag the set fire mode off the fire controls to reset it.

Isn't there a clear assignments button?