Author Topic: Quick Questions Thread  (Read 38295 times)

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Simple questions by me
« Reply #315 on: May 06, 2020, 02:55:50 AM »
Should I wait or should I go.

I'm hesitant in starting at last a campaign, or should I wait for 2.0?  Any sign the game will get a major version soon?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #316 on: May 06, 2020, 03:49:11 AM »
Well Steve posted changes for next version and it is labeled as 1.9.5. So it seems at least for next release there are no database changes planet. As for the current version, I have quite a long game and I encountered no problems that would force me to quit the game.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2020, 07:15:43 AM »

I'm hesitant in starting at last a campaign, or should I wait for 2.0?  Any sign the game will get a major version soon?

AFAIK 2.0 is not on the horizon yet.
Right now, Steve is fixing bugs, and making a db-changing release when a fix requires changing the db.
The next db-changing version will be 1.10.
Until then, any 1.9.x versions will work with your current saves.
(Also, it is possible to manually update your database when a db-changing version comes out; I do not recommend doing so if you are not SQL savvy. EDIT: And if you do, please do not report bugs from a game with a modified db.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:33:14 AM by skoormit »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2020, 07:24:17 AM »
(Also, it is possible to manually update your database when a db-changing version comes out; I do not recommend doing so if you are not SQL savvy.)

Yes, but don't do that.  And if you do do that, don't ever report a bug again.  This is the specific thing that Steve is concerned about.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2020, 07:31:50 AM »
(Also, it is possible to manually update your database when a db-changing version comes out; I do not recommend doing so if you are not SQL savvy.)

Yes, but don't do that.  And if you do do that, don't ever report a bug again.  This is the specific thing that Steve is concerned about.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.
I should have explicitly disclaimed you should never report a bug in a game with a modified db.
Reproduce it with an unmodified db and report that.

I do suspect that anyone with enough SQL savvy for this also has enough understanding of software development to know that modding the db "voids the warranty", so to speak.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »
I'm a developer but suck at SQL  ::)

Ok, so it seems I have a go there, I'm eager to start a campaign, thanks.

Offline Elda

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
I have been trying to figure this out on my own, but I've been struggling. 
I want to create a mining station.  I figured how to build them in the industry tab, how to move them with tugs and all that, but when I move it to a mining colony, it appears on the mining tab like auto-mines would, but the production is 0.  My design just use orbital mining modules, Am I missing something.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
I want to create a mining station.  I figured how to build them in the industry tab, how to move them with tugs and all that, but when I move it to a mining colony, it appears on the mining tab like auto-mines would, but the production is 0.  My design just use orbital mining modules, Am I missing something.

Maybe you want to mine body that is too big? Check if it is Eligible for Orbital Mining in Economics window.

The following users thanked this post: Elda

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »
Why not click 'Civilian fuel harvester' in game generation? They will suck up reserve, that's the issue?

How to add several NPR human on Earth? I fear I'll botch my game, can this be done at any moment?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2020, 01:35:03 PM »

There is a frequently-occuring bug where C# Aurora won't count things in OrbHabs unless there is at least one of that thing on the ground.

The following users thanked this post: Elda

Offline Elda

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
Thanks, it's probably the size thing.  I knew of the technology, but I didn't put two and two together. 

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #326 on: May 06, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »

1.9.5 is pretty awesome.

Offline DFNewb (OP)

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #327 on: May 06, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
Why not click 'Civilian fuel harvester' in game generation? They will suck up reserve, that's the issue?

How to add several NPR human on Earth? I fear I'll botch my game, can this be done at any moment?

No idea about 1.

For 2, I did it before but then the ground combat was bugged. I think the ground combat is fixed now (I haven't tested) So you might be able to do this.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
To be more precise about my issue, if I switch to SM mode, then go to the system view and create a new NPR race (say Russian Alliance) with as specie Human, then it seems I'm auto switched to this race, and they get a colony on the planet body I selected.

But then, it starts to not work as it worked in VB6. I can't switch back and forth between each race (mine and the various human NPR). When I exit and re-enter the system view, I can in fact only access my race.

I clearly remember in VB6 that I could switch from one race to another and add stuff to each of them, as I wanted. It seems it's either no more possible now ?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
You can do that. You don't even need to be in SM mode. I'm currently playing 11 races in my AAR campaign.