Author Topic: Moving troops between modules  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Lamandier (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
Moving troops between modules
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:12:02 AM »
Is there any way for ships to transfer ground units from a transport bay to a drop module while on the move? As best I can tell, the way it stands now with how orders work, it can only be done while the ship is at a static location. That seems odd to me; to use an example from my current game, if a Commonwealth transport takes two weeks to reach a Chinese colony on Io, why not use that time to prepare for a combat drop instead of waiting until it arrives and taking *another* two weeks to do so?

I wouldn't mind except for the fact that it takes so much time to move a battalion into its drop module; as much time, in fact, as it took to load up the unit and its equipment in the first place. Or am I just missing something here?
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Moving troops between modules
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
It's because ships stop to perform any order. There is no "cruising while doing X" possible in game mechanics.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
It's because ships stop to perform any order. There is no "cruising while doing X" possible in game mechanics.

There is in C# Aurora :). I've added underway replenishment, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Viridia, Kytuzian, smoelf

Offline Lamandier (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »

Good to hear. Now I'm looking forward to the C# version even more! Thanks Steve.
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline Starmantle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »

Okay, that's a little thing, but I'm really excited about it.

Deep thanks.