Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 352213 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #1140 on: May 01, 2019, 05:40:18 PM »
Would it be possible to add Ringworld Systems? These would be planets which would have extremely high population caps, but likely would not be mineable.  Systems with ringworlds could be finacial bases, research hubs, shipyards, or any other  population intense industry. 

These would be super rare of course, and you could likely represent them on the system map by having several evenly spaced "planets" as the sections.  Maybe with more sections being present on rarer/larger ringworlds.

Systems with Ringworlds would lack all other system bodies, presumably as whoever built the system used all insystem materials in the construction process.

Wrecked Ringworlds could also be a thing, though all they do is provide a huge mineral dump to whoever has the time and ships to salvage the sections.

To be honest... I think this is pretty much outside the scope of the amount of resources you could get in this game to build when you think about how massive a realistic ring world would be. We already have habitats and when you consider how expensive they are a ring world that could house thousands of trillions of people would break the game pretty much. Also, finding the resources to build one yourself would not be possible so the only viable way would be to find an already built one.

The amount of population in a typical Aurora game are simply too small for ring worlds to be used effectively, it just would be a planet with infinity population, you should also be able to mine it for resources since you will never use the entire thing anyway. Or why not simply mine it for resources instead of living there, pretty much infinity resources that way for the scope of the game.

My opinion anyway...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:41:54 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1141 on: May 01, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
As a 'special terrain' random -- probably a Precursor homeworld -- I wouldn't mind a one-in-a-thousand chance of a Ringworld.  Or an Invader Starbase.  Or a moon-sized battlestation.  Leviathan, Juggernaut. . .  any sort of super-weapon or super-fortress -- especially if it's not jump-capable.

It's either my empire's 'end boss' goal, or a giant "NOPE!" sign for space exploration in that direction.  "Thar be Space Dragons!"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:46:28 AM by Father Tim »

Offline canius

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • c
« Reply #1142 on: May 02, 2019, 02:21:48 AM »
Quote from: Jorgen_CAB link=topic=9841. msg114153#msg114153 date=1556750418
Quote from: canius link=topic=9841. msg114149#msg114149 date=1556740561
Would it be possible to add Ringworld Systems? These would be planets which would have extremely high population caps, but likely would not be mineable.   Systems with ringworlds could be finacial bases, research hubs, shipyards, or any other  population intense industry.   

These would be super rare of course, and you could likely represent them on the system map by having several evenly spaced "planets" as the sections.   Maybe with more sections being present on rarer/larger ringworlds. 

Systems with Ringworlds would lack all other system bodies, presumably as whoever built the system used all insystem materials in the construction process. 

Wrecked Ringworlds could also be a thing, though all they do is provide a huge mineral dump to whoever has the time and ships to salvage the sections.

To be honest. . .  I think this is pretty much outside the scope of the amount of resources you could get in this game to build when you think about how massive a realistic ring world would be.  We already have habitats and when you consider how expensive they are a ring world that could house thousands of trillions of people would break the game pretty much.  Also, finding the resources to build one yourself would not be possible so the only viable way would be to find an already built one.

The amount of population in a typical Aurora game are simply too small for ring worlds to be used effectively, it just would be a planet with infinity population, you should also be able to mine it for resources since you will never use the entire thing anyway.  Or why not simply mine it for resources instead of living there, pretty much infinity resources that way for the scope of the game.

My opinion anyway. . .

To clarify, I agree that building one would not be a viable option, only finding one.  It would be a way to deal with the population caps of your planets, as presumably your excess pop could get shipped out their.  Mining the structure for materials could be a thing but I was worried about balance. 

I was picturing them as precursor home systems or something similar, with the destroyed ones being the ones hit by the spoilers.

Offline Vizzy

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #1143 on: May 04, 2019, 04:39:15 AM »
Something that has been batting around my head is how Research is too exact, too uniform, and that we can tell before we start exactly how long it will take.  Hence:

Suggestion:
For each piece of research have two values for the Research Cost, one estimate (with the same values as now) and one true value.  This true value could be a random multiplier (say between 0. 5x and 4x) and would also be different for each race.

What you would see on the interface would be the estimate, so you could roughly predict when a research item would finish, but not to the exact date.  It would give a bit more variety in multi race starts and also between campaigns themselves.  I think it would also aid roleplay, simulating (in a basic way) the uncertainties of research such as breakthroughs and setbacks, and lead to a more dynamic feel of the game.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1144 on: May 04, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »
Something that has been batting around my head is how Research is too exact, too uniform, and that we can tell before we start exactly how long it will take.  Hence:

Suggestion:
For each piece of research have two values for the Research Cost, one estimate (with the same values as now) and one true value.  This true value could be a random multiplier (say between 0. 5x and 4x) and would also be different for each race.

What you would see on the interface would be the estimate, so you could roughly predict when a research item would finish, but not to the exact date.  It would give a bit more variety in multi race starts and also between campaigns themselves.  I think it would also aid roleplay, simulating (in a basic way) the uncertainties of research such as breakthroughs and setbacks, and lead to a more dynamic feel of the game.

While 4x the cost might work for some cheaper ship component techs it would be massively unfair if you get it on a core tech like say propulsion or something. It also isn't uniform ( meaning it would slow down overall research as an unintended consequence ).

How about something like this instead?

Racial techs:
0.5x cost - 4.0x cost span

Core techs:
0.7x cost - 1.3x cost span

That should hopefully allow for things that in reality often go massively over budget like component R&D to do so ingame, but without impacting the core research progression as much.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1145 on: May 04, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
I think there should be a consistent base cost and when you assign a scientist their skill picks a multiplier that you cant immediately figure out.

It would require pretty vague progress reports compared to what we have now to really work I think (otherwise people would just spam re-assign them until they got a good multiplier) but I think it could potentially work.  Perhaps research could look a little more like translation efforts.  I think there should be some very vague overall progress indicator, but it should be clear roughly how long something is supposed to take so that you can make judgement calls at some point.

At that point you have introduced an inherent delay before you can decide to re-assign scientists, meaning you could penalize re-assigning by causing a loss in progress every time you do that.  (if there wasn't a delay, they could just spam re-assign at the beginning until they got a good result at no cost)  The researchers then pick a new approach, which results in them having to solve a lot of new problems, basically amounting to a loss of progress but also re-rolling the research multiplier.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:13:20 PM by QuakeIV »

The following users thanked this post: Titanian

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1146 on: May 04, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
I would not be a fan of this system. Randomness, no matter how realistic, could really spell the end in some situations.

Like deciding to invest in a certain weapon system, only to be unlucky. Say that all the tech related to lasers are 2x for me, and of course I don't know beforehand. I decided to invest in lasers, it will be ages before I have a working weapon system the way I want, or I'll have to stop halfway and switch to something else. And maybe that something is going to be slow for my race as well.

This system has the potential to be game-ending in case I'm racing for something with which I can defend myself.

If you really want randomness.... I think the player should always have an estimate of the maximum amount of time needed. Then the game could add some chance of a "breakthrough" to make the research finish earlier, but at least you know it won't take more than x time. The only time a research could be slowed down is if Steve codes sabotage from other nations. In that case a delay to the research would be justified.

Either way, I'd still prefer a completely fixed time for research, barring sabotage from other nations.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1147 on: May 04, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »
I don't really like the idea personally that RND would be a stable, reliable thing that you can count on, it seems to me if you don't already have the technology you need to come out on top then you should indeed be seriously worried.

IMO arguments of 'but that would cause me to lose sometimes' shouldn't shape game design because that tends to result in very boring games.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1148 on: May 04, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »
If we add random length research completion, or for that matter random ship length construction, installation construction, survey times, etc., there has to be some game play enhancement as an objective.

What decisions does this add for example? Would it actually cause more frustration than enjoyment? 

While there is randomness in the game, in terms of system generation, mineral generation, presence of NPRs, etc. these are all things the players can react to by making decisions. There is no decision when a key piece of research drags on. In fact, I've just removed random length ground surveys and replaced with survey points because it caused frustration.

The one thing left I can think of is random length xeno survey, but that doesn't stop the player doing anything. It just means he has to wait for a benefit.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1149 on: May 04, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
I don't really like the idea personally that RND would be a stable, reliable thing that you can count on, it seems to me if you don't already have the technology you need to come out on top then you should indeed be seriously worried.

IMO arguments of 'but that would cause me to lose sometimes' shouldn't shape game design because that tends to result in very boring games.

My definition of boring is: something I cannot do anything about. If a research takes longer to complete, and I do not know beforehand, I have absolutely no way to change it.

Oh look, I wanted to research lasers, but it took twice the time I thought it would, and twice the time it would have taken to research missiles. How does that improve the gameplay? Does it show that I am a good or a bad player? Could I have improved it someway?
No I could not. Lasers takes twice more time than researching missiles. Even if I build more labs, lasers will still take twice more time than researching missiles. All because of some random number generated at the start of the game.

How is THAT fun? I decided to chase after lasers, and I could not know beforehand it was a losing choice, and now I'm behind compared to the NPR / spoilers or whatever. I don't see how this is fun AT ALL. The way I played did not improve my research time in the least, compared to researching missiles.

Something is fun when I can conceivably make it better. Something is fun when my choices matter. The choice of researching lasers compared to researching missiles did not really matter, because it was a losing choice from the start because of some hidden number I could not know beforehand. That's not fun, it's just extremely frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:07:33 PM by Zincat »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1150 on: May 04, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »
Not sure pure randomness will do much... It had to be small.

I would rather that research moved in smaller steps and that you had to make more long term decisions. There should be a difference between theoretical and applied technology and how you acquire it.

I don't particularly like that you can switch labs and scientists from one day to the next. Skill should decrease if they don't work in a field. Labs should have efficiency that decrease after they are reassigned, by how much depend on the difference of the old and new project they work on. Reaching max efficiency might take a few years in some cases.

I also are not a fan of universal bonuses, every technological breakthrough need to be implemented in some for.. just like you have to design and build ships and upgrade them.

These things would have important in game impact on decisions.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:12:44 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1151 on: May 04, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
I feel like you guys didn't read my post, you are attributing things to it that aren't true.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #1152 on: May 05, 2019, 04:14:49 AM »
I feel like you guys didn't read my post, you are attributing things to it that aren't true.

You are correct. In my first post I was answering to Vizzy and Alex_brunius. And in my second post I was assuming that you were defending their idea. I apologize because of the misunderstanding, sorry about that. In my defense it was pretty late at night for me :P

Now I went back and properly read your proposal again. I do not dislike the idea of a variable research cost by itself. Some variation in tech cost in each game could make research more interesting and force people to use different strategies instead of always going with the same things. But I do dislike the not-knowing beforehand. Imo it's still something that does not add much to the game because it actually limits the player choices.

The problem is still the same I think. A component needs many research steps. Just for a laser, I need multiple researches. So... If every single research is subject to variable length, I am left in total uncertainty, and that does not really depend on my choices. I simply cannot know beforehand.
Just to make an example using your system, maybe the laser focal size will go well.... but laser wavelength and capacitor recharge rate are going to be very unlucky, with multiple reassigning needed for each one, resulting in a vastly increased total research time for new functional lasers. And I cannot know beforehand because I have no idea before actually starting to research.

What could work (but it would be a complete redesign of how science RND works and I have no idea if Steve would be intersted in coding) is something like this. Research progress is divided into tiers right now. So...

- You initially do not know the research costs of the various techs. Instead, you have to do explorative research to discover that. Explorative research is target-oriented. For example, you could have an explorative research named: Laser tier 1. If you do research it, you discover the research cost of all the researches that are required for a first tier laser component (the first laser focal size, the first laser wavelength, the first capacitor recharge rate etc). These costs can be random, but after the explorative research you know them. Basically, you have found "a way to research them", and if you use that, you need x research points.

- At this point you can decide that these costs are ok with you, and proceed to research those techs at your own pace

- Or you can decide that missiles look a lot more attractive with the costs their specific techs have

- Or finally, you can redo the explorative research Laser tier 1. At the end of it, you are granted a reroll on the various techs, and if the roll is better than the one you had before you have discovered a less costly way to research a tech. The result is per tech, so it's only picked if it improves the cost of the various techs. Simply put, you tried to do basic research again. And you found a better way to research tech A, while for tech B and C you will still use the first approach you found with the first explorative research.

Something like this would make research less stable and predictable, while still letting the player make meaningful decisions. You can decide that lasers are just not worth it for now. You can decide to roll with it. You can decide to try and improve your research times by rolling the dice again.

And they are informed choices, because you have one precise idea of what a component would cost in the worst situation (with no rerolls) and so, an upper limit of the completion time. And since it is component-oriented, you are not going to be ruined by the fact that the last research you'd need to make lasers keep rolling horrible and takes forever to finish.

Would something like this be worth coding? That is up to steve. At any rate, I'd probably not do it for the first c# aurora release.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1153 on: May 05, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
If we add random length research completion, or for that matter random ship length construction, installation construction, survey times, etc., there has to be some game play enhancement as an objective.

What decisions does this add for example? Would it actually cause more frustration than enjoyment? 

Before I start: the following is intended as observations, not criticisms, arguments or complaints.  I understand and accept that I'm coming from a different place than a lot of Aurora players (including Steve) and am ok with it.  I'm just trying to point out a general theme behind these sorts of discussions/decisions. [EDIT] And then when typing it I realized I have a simple idea that might satisfy both parties.  Skip to the "Unless...." to see it.[/EDIT]

I think this is a different instance/aspect of the philosophical "jigsaw spectrum" discussed in this thread: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9861.msg107147#msg107147  In particular see the back-and-forth between me and Zincat (who happens to be the prime responder in this instance of the discussion as well :) ).

To summarize: I think there's a spectrum of people in terms of what they enjoy in a game.  On the one hand, you've got mini-maxers, who want to know exactly what the efficiency of any action will be so that they can choose the perfect path to obtain the best outcome in the game.  For example, when I do a conventional start, I look at the mineral accessibilities that the RNG has handed me and decide the optimum ratio of construction factories to mines I should convert into in order to optimize growth of my economy..  I call this a high "jigsaw affinity", since I suspect that such players tend to enjoy other intricate tasks such as doing monster jigsaw puzzles or playing War in the Pacific. (That's the one with crazy level of detail, right?)

On the other hand, you've got "fog-of-war/imperfect control/gambler/realism" people, who think it's more fun/challenging/realistic to have imperfect knowledge of what the consequences of their actions will be.  These are the people who either don't find it realistic to have perfect knowledge and control or who don't want to spend time micro-managing low level decisions, especially if they're not "interesting".  I'm calling this a low jigsaw affinity.  I think Rule the Waves (btw, version 2 that goes through the 50s and has aircraft is supposed to come out this month) is the best example of a game for those people - you're playing the navy minister and so can only recommend budget changes, you can only define research area priorities overall spending, not what results will come out, OOBs and objectives for battles are generated by the computer based on which forces are deployed to a theater, ....

I don't have a gripping hand.

So to answer Steve's question, I think the argument in favor of hiding research is to add "gambling/fog of war" rewards - it adds to the sense of suspense when you don't know exactly when a research project will finish, or which research path is likely to be most effective - you have to take your best shot with imperfect knowledge and see how it plays out.  I also agree it can be frustrating - in my current RtW campaign I've gotten unlucky on discovering all-or-nothing armor, so I'm at a disadvantage relative to others in terms of how much mass I can devote to weapons and engines in my capital ships - but so can magazine explosions.  Even though I would like to see more fog in the research process, I think it would take a fairly major rewrite of the research system along the lines of what QuakeIV and Zincat discussed to do this well, and I don't want to delay the release date to do that.

Unless....  How about doing what RtW does for ship construction?  You know exactly how many months out a ship is scheduled to be completed, but each month there are potential random events that either delay or speed up progress on one or more ships by a month.  In Aurora this would translate into weakening the micro-coupling between research spending and research progress: if you spend R research points on a project, you would achieve R*RandomDoubleUniformBetweenZeroAndTwo*DoubleIndicatingSizeOfVariability.  If the size of the variability is 1.0, then you'd get (evenly) anywhere between 0 and 2*R progress in that increment; if the size was 2.0, you'd literally be in a "two steps forward, one step back" situation where your progress could be anywhere from -R (indicating dead end research paths to 2*R). 

IMPORTANT:  On average, your rate of research progress vs spending would still be 1:1, i.e. on average you get exactly as many progress points in a span of time as if the system wasn't in place, since you're just as likely to roll a 0.5 as a 1.5 (which average to 1.0). 

Also, the bigger the research project (and hence the more rolls) the lower the relative variation between actual and expected.  This is because variation in the average of a large number N of RNG rolls tends to go like 1/sqrt(N).  So if there are 100 rolls over the course of the research, and SizeOfVariability=1.0, you can expect a relative variation of ~10% in the research rates.  The absolute variation for a large project will grow like sqrt(N) = NTimesAsLarge/sqrt(N)_RelativeVariation, so large projects have more absolute risk simply because they're large, but it will still be a smaller relative risk.  Because of this sqrt(N) effect, throwing more research labs at a project (to get it done more quickly) will increase variability by sqrt(NLabs) - if you have 4x as many labs you'll have 4x fewer rolls and so variability goes up by sqrt(4) = 2x but the average progress remains the same.

Why I like this: 
  • It feels like it will add a sense of suspense while at the same time giving rough progress feedback/transparency and not necessarily resulting in huge variation.
  • It should be really easy to code up - just add an RNG roll when calculating research advance
  • If Steve exposes SizeOfVariability as a parameter (either at the game level or the race level or both), then it puts an easy-to-code tunable knob in that the high jigsaw players can set to zero and the low jigsaw players can increase or decrease to tune how much uncertainty they want in research times.
  • At the start of a project (strategic decision) you have a decent idea of how long it will take.  As the project gets near the end (with fewer rolls left) the relative uncertainty is growing (more likely to take 2x as many updates as you think are left for the last little bit) while the absolute uncertainty (how many more updates left) is still shrinking so that you know you're close to the end.  This should address the concerns about whether to go with e.g. lasers vs. missiles - the law of large numbers says that in the end on average your expectations will be met, there just might be some bumps (or smooth parts) in the road.
  • It can be applied as a general mechanism throughout the rest of Aurora industry (factory jobs, ship construction tasks, etc).  It can be thought of as a first principles mechanism that can be generally applied to add fog of war into economic planning.
  • I think I like that throwing more labs at a problem increases variability - will they work together well or not?
  • [Edit]If you have some early bad rolls, you can make the decision that Zincat mentioned to abandon in favor of something else.  Note that I don't think this will be a strong effect unless you make negative progress early on, since usually you'll be in a position where effort remaining is lower than choosing another course.[/Edit]

There's actually a small math subtlety that shows up because Aurora allows players to choose the length of the construction cycle.  If I cut the interval by 4x, then I'm making 4x as many rolls and the variation will go down by 2x.  So there should also be a factor of (5Days/UpdateCycleTime)^2 multiplying SizeOfVariability to make the variability insensitive.  So the final proposal is to change ResearchProgressPoints = ResearchPointsSpent to:

ResearchProgressPoints = ResearchPointsSpent*VariabilityStrength*RandomNumberBetweenZeroAndTwo*SomeFactorWeCanCalculate*(DefaultUpdateCycleTime/ActualUpdateCycleTime)^2.

where VariabilityStrength is a non-negative float that the player can set and SomeFactorWeCanCalculate is a constant that I can calculate if you want that controls how many update cycles you need to get a variability of e.g. 10%.  For example, if you want a project that takes 1 cycle to have a variation of 10% it would be 0.1 (with possibly a factor of sqrt(2) thrown in); if you want a project that takes 100 cycles to have a variation of 10% it would be 1.0 (again, there might be a sqrt(2) or something like it floating around)).

John

PS - While typing the above about jigsaw affinity, I had a few random thoughts that I found interesting:
1) While I usual argue for low jigsaw directions in Aurora, I find myself micro-ing a lot of stuff, like survey SoP, the aforementioned construction plan, and city governor functions in the Civ games.  For example I remember when I was a kid wanting to use Richtofen's War to track every plane in a huge WWI air campaign.
2)  I think there's a very strong sense within the wargaming community that high level-of-detail games like WitP are more "realistic".  In the thread I referenced above I argue the opposite - that this implies a lot of omniscience that eliminates fog-of-war on what your own forces are doing.
3)  I strongly suspect Steve has a high jigsaw affinity, but he's also a big fan of poker.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:10:31 PM by sloanjh »

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Scandinavian, TheBawkHawk, serger, Peroox

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1154 on: May 05, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
3)  I strongly suspect Steve has a high jigsaw affinity, but he's also a big fan of poker.

I like games where I have to consider a lot of different factors, which is true for Aurora and poker and my day job :)

Poker, which I played professionally for six years (and is how I had time to develop Aurora), does have 'fog of war' but you have a lot of information with which to understand what is going on. While math is important in poker, reading opponents is vital. You have to consider a lot of different factors about the situation and the opponent(s) and eliminate possibilities until you are left with the range of their likely holding, which could be very narrow, then you look at the potential for exploiting that (while trying to mislead those players trying to do the same to you). So yes I didn't have complete information, but the game is about using complex information to fill in those blanks.

My day job (Analytics Director for a global, online gaming company) requires my department to take all available information about our players and make recommendations about how we spend money to influence those players to benefit the long-term interest of the company (which often involves ensuring the contributing players get value for money). This can be very complex, as it is a complex business, so it is a case of putting all the pieces together and filling in the blanks with experience (like poker) and a lot of informed debate.

So if high Jigsaw affinity means solving complex puzzles, often with incomplete information, then I agree. If it means having complete information I don't think that would necessarily be me.

What I don't enjoy are games where I get penalised or rewarded for things that are completely outside my control. It feels like I don't need to be there. I would rather play something where I feel I can influence the outcome. BTW, this is not the same as min-maxing. In Aurora, I often role-play a particular perspective or philosophy that is detrimental to long-term success, but I try to act from the motivations and knowledge base of the faction involved. It is a lot more fun that way. Even so, those (bad) decisions are still influencing the outcome.

Not sure if that helps, but it is an interesting discussion :)

The following users thanked this post: Viridia