Author Topic: Ship Components and what they do?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Baron Of Hell (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
Ship Components and what they do?
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
I'm looking for a list of ship components and what they do and how they are used. Can someone point me to such a list?

If no such list exist can you explain what is the purpose and how the below components are used?

Bridge
Flag Bridge
Cryogenic Transport
Luxury Passenger accommodation

I guess I understand that Cryogenic transports and luxury passenger accommodation allow you to move people but I'm not really clear why I would use luxury over cryogenic since they cost the same and are the same size but cryogenic can move a lot more people.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ship Components and what they do?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
Any ship above 1.000t needs a bridge. You can´t expect your captains to command their ship from the mess hall, now can you  :)

A Flag Bridge lets you put a Task Force Command on a ship. Task Force Commands give various boni to any Task Group under its command _if_ in the same system. Therefore, having a TF-Command along your battlefleet which is to engagy the alien homefleet in their homesystem might be a good idea.

Cryogenic transports is your (player) means of colonists transportation. The luxury passenger accomodation is for the civies only and then more for flavor/roleplay reasons than anything else
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Luxury Passenger Accommodations generate income.

--Mav

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »
Plus, they make your Diplomats and government officials happy when they travel.  Put a single Luxury accommodation and some engines on a small ship to make a courier boat, if you're the sort of person who like to roleplay such things.

Offline Baron Of Hell (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »
Yeah I have the Titanic visiting planets in my system picking up and dropping off people in a never ending loop. I just did it for fun but now that I know it is making me money also I'm even more happy.

Offline a1s

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Any ship above 1.000t needs a bridge.
yes, but does it *do* anything? let me put it this way: if I lose a bridge in combat, should I waste supplies repairing it? For that matter will my crew start dieing once crew quarters are destroyed?
Terran Federation needs you oO000
to edit the Aurorawiki

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »
Quote from: "a1s"
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Any ship above 1.000t needs a bridge.
yes, but does it *do* anything? let me put it this way: if I lose a bridge in combat, should I waste supplies repairing it? For that matter will my crew start dieing once crew quarters are destroyed?

Hm, I am not sure.
I have never got any messages about crew dying due to a destroyed bridge/crew quarter other than from the hit itself, so I assume it has no effect.

Arrgh, now Steve will change this and we have to pay attention to jet another thing in this game :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
Without a bridge you can't run a ship.  I would guess if you lose the bridge during combat you probably cannot do much, including move or fight.  There's probably a closet tucked away somewhere that can act as a spare bridge.

Offline rubberduck

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:34:28 AM »
If Steve does go with that, it should be possible to build a secondary (smaller) bridge, for use in military ships. That way the second in command can still run the ship from the secondary, even if the captain has been blown out into vacuum through the hole where the main bridge used to be.

Offline a1s

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
Without a bridge you can't run a ship.
Not true, as we can see from small ships. The way I see it, the bridge is more of a convenience (having all the lines of communication in one place) then a necessity (the way wheel and gearstick would be in your car), a ship without a bridge should suffer a blow to combat readiness (response times), but should still run fine during calmer periods.
Terran Federation needs you oO000
to edit the Aurorawiki

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:19 AM »
Quote from: "a1s"
Quote from: "James Patten"
Without a bridge you can't run a ship.
Not true, as we can see from small ships. The way I see it, the bridge is more of a convenience (having all the lines of communication in one place) then a necessity (the way wheel and gearstick would be in your car), a ship without a bridge should suffer a blow to combat readiness (response times), but should still run fine during calmer periods.

Bridge hits have a good chance of killing the assigned commander and you loose all ship commander, task force commander (if present in task group/system), and training bonuses.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Therlun

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
I have a somewhat related questions. What do ship components you can build and store on your planets (and salvage) actually do?
I know salvaged tech gives research bonuses, but once you have alien or your own ship components on your world what are they used for?
The building time and cost of new ships doesn't seem to be reduced by having the right components.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
Quote from: "Therlun"
The building time and cost of new ships doesn't seem to be reduced by having the right components.
I assume you're talking about the "completion date" field on the SY management tab when you select a construction task - that's a "feature" :-)  If you actually create a build task and look at the next (SY tasks) tab, you'll see that the completion date is shorter if you were able to use stockpiled components.

John

Offline Therlun

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Therlun"
I assume you're talking about the "completion date" field on the SY management tab when you select a construction task - that's a "feature" :)
Thanks.