Author Topic: How does one exploit ruins?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Aldaris (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
How does one exploit ruins?
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:53:35 AM »
I started a non-sol based game and SMed a ruin onto a mars-like planet one orbit out from my homeworld. I set up a colony just fine, got some xenoarcheologists over there, and they found a city. However, I can't recover any of the installations there. Reading the stories they mention cybernetic teams, which I haven't found out how to make. I tried shipping en engineer brigade over, but my troop transport was too small, then I cheated and gave it 5 troop transport bays, which should be able to provide room for a single engineer brigade, but it doesn't. My transports refuse to pick up the engineer brigades and I'm stuck with a fancy ancient alien city I can't use for anything but as a museum.
Would anyone please explain to me either how to make cybernetic teams or how to move engineer brigades?

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
Re: How does one exploit ruins?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
You need a ship with troop transport bays to move troops. But for ruins you fist need a xeno-team, afaik. Do a search on the forum - there are a few threads that explain it quite well.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
Quote from: "Aldaris"
I started a non-sol based game and SMed a ruin onto a mars-like planet one orbit out from my homeworld. I set up a colony just fine, got some xenoarcheologists over there, and they found a city. However, I can't recover any of the installations there. Reading the stories they mention cybernetic teams, which I haven't found out how to make. I tried shipping en engineer brigade over, but my troop transport was too small, then I cheated and gave it 5 troop transport bays, which should be able to provide room for a single engineer brigade, but it doesn't. My transports refuse to pick up the engineer brigades and I'm stuck with a fancy ancient alien city I can't use for anything but as a museum.
Would anyone please explain to me either how to make cybernetic teams or how to move engineer brigades?
The last time I checked a single ship needs to have enough space to move the entire brigade.  Check to make sure you did not load any other units by accident.  On the F12 screen pick the TG the transport is in and look at the bottom right corner.  There is a box showing what is already loaded.  If anything is loaded, unload it and then try again.

When loading or unloading units/teams you have to select the unit you want, then hit the assign button on the bottom of the screen.  Double clicking does not work in this case.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
Cybernetic teams are the old (now discontinued) system.  They were first combined with Archaeological teams to make Xenoarchaeological teams, then the 'reactivate' function was switched to Engineer Regiments (now Brigades).

Oh, and there was recently a bug kicking around that any Engineering units created by the game during initial empire set-up were turning out larger than normal.  Try using SM mode to give yourself a new Engineering Brigade and then loading that one.  Otherwise, add a sixth Troop Transport Module and try again to load.  After that, save the 'Events' log to a text file and check for any error messages to do with troop loading.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:43:56 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Aldaris (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
That awnsers all but one of my questions, which I found the awnser to myself. Me 'cheating' to give my troop transports more bays relied on a bug in the previous version where any changes made to the design of a ship class would also happen to any existing ships of that class. I now have two ships with one transport bay each of a class that should have 5 bays.
Thanks for the help.

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
I have not come across one of these, yet.  What do you need to do to find them?  Are they revealed by geo survey?  Or do you need a certain kind of sensor?

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
I have not come across one of these, yet.  What do you need to do to find them?  Are they revealed by geo survey?  Or do you need a certain kind of sensor?

Just geo sensors.

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
Quote from: "Balibar"

Just geo sensors.
Thanks!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »
Alien ruins  are also extremely rare*, only appearing on a minor fraction of habitable worlds, which themselves are found in a minor fraction of systems.

*Unless you use the SM button on the F9 'System Information' screen to add them.

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »
Im still wondering if the ruins still need a xeno team or just engineers?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Quote from: "VariousArtist"
The sequence of events is as follows
First a geo survey needs to be done on the planet.  Usually this is a ship doing a geo survey of the system body.  Then you need to create a colony on the planet.  You can do this from the system display (F9) screen, or the Task Group (F12) screens.  This wil allow you to move a xeno team to the planet.  It will take the team some time to figure out what is there.  You will eventually get a message about the name of the race, and how many installations there are, etc.  Once this happens then your engineer brigades can get to work to actually recover the ruins for old installations, minerals, ship components, ect.

Hope this clears the whole thing up for you.

Brian

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
Quote from: "VariousArtist"
The sequence of events is as follows
First a geo survey needs to be done on the planet.  Usually this is a ship doing a geo survey of the system body.  Then you need to create a colony on the planet.  You can do this from the system display (F9) screen, or the Task Group (F12) screens.  This wil allow you to move a xeno team to the planet.  It will take the team some time to figure out what is there.  You will eventually get a message about the name of the race, and how many installations there are, etc.  Once this happens then your engineer brigades can get to work to actually recover the ruins for old installations, minerals, ship components, ect.

Hope this clears the whole thing up for you.

Brian

If I recall, you don't need the geo survey to be done. Unless Steve has changed this since I last encountered a ruin.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If I recall, you don't need the geo survey to be done. Unless Steve has changed this since I last encountered a ruin.

I thought the geosurvey was required to discover the ruins?  (Not that I've found any in the last umpteen million years.)

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

I thought the geosurvey was required to discover the ruins?  (Not that I've found any in the last umpteen million years.)

John

Like you I've not seen any in ages. But it is my recollection that I've had grav survey ships find ruins.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 11:15:32 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

John

Like you I've not seen any in ages. But it is my recollection that I've had grav survey ships find ruins.

I can confirm this. Geosurvey ships find ruins
Ralph Hoenig, Germany