Author Topic: Component Research  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Ranakastrasz (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
Component Research
« on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
Disclaimer: Still new to the game, so may be wildly off.

Currently, if you want to develop a new ship with new technology, you have to frequently stop designing the ship, and design the components.  These then take research points, and thus require you to advance time further to research them.  While reasonable enough, this also takes you away from designing the ship, and breaks your flow.

I have thought of several methods to work around this.

-Allow a generic research project that produces stored research points, like you can get at the start of the game.  This requires and allows no scientist, so is drastically slower and less efficient than normal research.  The points can then be used to instantly research technologies.

-Allow Research points to passively accumulate, say 10% of annual production.

-Allow Prototyping.  On designing a component, it can then be used in any ship design.  However, a ship with unresearched designs is incapable of being refitted for, or produced in any way.

In the case of Research points, it would make that mechanic more part of the game, rather than a starting boost/mechanic.

In the prototyping case, it would let you just design the whole ship, components included, optimize or w. e, and then, after you are finished designing it, THEN you can set the labs to research all the components required for it.  No loss of flow or focus involved in having to advance time and react to other situations.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Component Research
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
There is an option with SM mode enabled that allows you to skip the "research components" bit.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
What I would like is a way to add components to ships before you actually researched them. Such designs should then just be flagged as not available for building them until all components are researched properly. This would make it possible for you to make many different design for components and just try them out without actually having to research them, after you are satisfied with the design you can research whatever components you need and then start building the ship.

Right now I often have to SM in components just for trying stuff out and then remove them and then research them properly, in my opinion this is an unnecessary and over complicated way to do things and it could be made much simpler.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan, chokuto, Titanian, Alsadius

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
This is quite a popular request. If it is not already in the suggestions thread, add it and I will get to this at some point.

The following users thanked this post: Tanj, QuakeIV, SpikeTheHobbitMage, bro918, chokuto, serger

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »
I always use spacemaster to design prototype components which then get swapped out as I research the real versions. Not on every ship, but generally when I need a design to be optomised or I hit a new tech level.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Ranakastrasz (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • R
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
Yea.  I mean, I based this both on my own experience, little of it there was, and several youtube videos.  Things like people saving their research points, or using SM to create components because it is inconvinent.

And I did search the forum using a few keywords, but didn't find anything similar, so I am not sure if you mean popular in that others have suggested this, or popular in that a lot of people are responding.  Which in the second case seems wrong, given how few people have responded.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
It's popular in that something similar has been suggested a dozen times over the last decade.