Author Topic: Crusade - Part II  (Read 10659 times)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Crusade - Part II
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 10:30:23 PM »
Irrelevant; You don't conduct ground invasions without wiping the PDCs, and/or troop dropships are way more important targets than precision bombers anyway.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 05:26:26 AM »
Which is another nice point.
Why can I just land troops on a planet with my transports, despite not having a single assault dropship?
Conventional AA and Artillery should be a factor in that.
And how do you take out the PDCs without nukes? Ultimately, there's a lot of material for 7.0.  ;)
Though we'll have to discuss that when the time comes.

Offline chuckles73

• Chief Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »
And how do you take out the PDCs without nukes?

Meson cannons!  :)

Edit: Assault dropships take seconds to unload. Transports take hours or days. Granted, this may not matter if the ground combat only happens on 5-day intervals.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:49:17 AM by chuckles73 »

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »

Edit: Assault dropships take seconds to unload. Transports take hours or days. Granted, this may not matter if the ground combat only happens on 5-day intervals.

That's a good point. It'd be very cool if your transports could be attacked on the ground by enemy ground forces while they're unloading troops.

Offline ThatBlondeGuy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
Perhaps, adding a Orbital Defence type structure, that gives you a defensive value to counter act strafing/close air support runs from smaller (Fac or Fighter, perhaps small frigates.) vessels. This enables conventional ground attack/artillery/support, adds more depth for defending and attacking with ground forces, and the orbital defence platforms/structures could also do damage to troop transports/assault dropships when the troops initially land.

One small problem is that the only weapons that work in Atmosphere are Meson, and missiles? ((I can't remember if railguns can but I know Gauss can't) so perhaps you'd have to loosen the rules in that respect to make it viable for Gauss/Railgun/Laser armed fighters, to do strafing runs, or Facs/small frigates doing the same thing.

Sorry if the grammar/spelling of this post is horrific, i'm pretty tired as I'm writing this >.>. I'll come back and edit it when I have some brain capacity back; until then i'll let you all decipher it.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
I've always wondered, how do you build such big ships so early in the game? I've never gotten a military shipyard anywhere close to 30,000 tons, even in multi-decade games.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
TN start and continuous capacity expansion.

Offline ThatBlondeGuy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
or SM'ing the starting conditions to take into account some more RP elements.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
TN start and continuous capacity expansion.
It's been a while, but I've never seen a starting shipyard over 16,000 tons, and I'm pretty sure it takes way more than two years to go from there to 30k. Unless you have a ton of shipbuilding upgrades, I mean.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
It's been a while, but I've never seen a starting shipyard over 16,000 tons, and I'm pretty sure it takes way more than two years to go from there to 30k. Unless you have a ton of shipbuilding upgrades, I mean.

It depends on the population you start with I think.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
any updates steve enjoying reading, the next update i guess follows up the continued expansion or taking on the aliens in alpha Centarui

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Perhaps, adding a Orbital Defence type structure, that gives you a defensive value to counter act strafing/close air support runs from smaller (Fac or Fighter, perhaps small frigates.) vessels. This enables conventional ground attack/artillery/support, adds more depth for defending and attacking with ground forces, and the orbital defence platforms/structures could also do damage to troop transports/assault dropships when the troops initially land.

One small problem is that the only weapons that work in Atmosphere are Meson, and missiles? ((I can't remember if railguns can but I know Gauss can't) so perhaps you'd have to loosen the rules in that respect to make it viable for Gauss/Railgun/Laser armed fighters, to do strafing runs, or Facs/small frigates doing the same thing.

Sorry if the grammar/spelling of this post is horrific, i'm pretty tired as I'm writing this >.>. I'll come back and edit it when I have some brain capacity back; until then i'll let you all decipher it.

How about fighters that are in orbit providing ground support bonuses, it ground troops. This would be a great edition and give Laser/guass/rail fighters a useful role, without creating atmosphere issues. And make naval (space) operation even important when ground combat is on.

I would love to see hidden PDC, that would be nice so it only turns on when in orbit launches fire or fighters, this would make approaching a planet even more cautious.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:29:43 PM by ardem »

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »
How about fighters that are in orbit providing ground support bonuses, it ground troops. This would be a great edition and give Laser/guass/rail fighters a useful role, without creating atmosphere issues. And make naval (space) operation even important when ground combat is on.

I really like this idea!

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 02:03:40 AM »
Finally read

A Return to the Past..2007 Good Old History am remember

ur work seems awesome ma friend.

Cya!!

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »

Why do I hear this in a Jar-Jar Binks voice in my head?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.