Author Topic: Jump gates and NPRs  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
Jump gates and NPRs
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
So, I have tended to favor building jump gates as opposed to using jump tenders or giving ships their own jump drive. A rather scary thought occurred to me and I suspect I already know the answer, but, I figured I'd ask to get confirmation.

Question: If I build a jump gate on both sides of a jump point, are NPRs allowed to use them as well?

Thanks!
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Jump gates and NPRs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
So, I have tended to favor building jump gates as opposed to using jump tenders or giving ships their own jump drive. A rather scary thought occurred to me and I suspect I already know the answer, but, I figured I'd ask to get confirmation.

Question: If I build a jump gate on both sides of a jump point, are NPRs allowed to use them as well?

Thanks!

Yes.
Anyone can use an existing jumpgate.

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Mother of God.
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
 ;D
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:42 PM »
Mother of God.

If she wanted to use one, she could too.

Offline madpraxis

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »
Mary rolls with the precursors, yo...
But look at it this way, with the jump gates you don't have to expand the effort to go to your targets, they come to you!

Offline strych90

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
I stopped using jump gates because of this very reason.  I got jumped one time in the early game by a neighbor close to the Sol system, next system over.  They just walked right through to earth and bombarded it.  I only had a couple of frigates to answer their 4-5 ships and got whacked.  Game over, about 5 years in. 
The fact that I had the gates may not have made any difference, but It definitely made it easier for them

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
I'm in favor of using jump gates but I only use them on system that I have colonized and so I have part of my fleet jump capable so I can do offensive maneuvers in enemy territory. I might also build them in system I intend to invade if I feel it is a feasible strategy and worth the risk.

I deploy buoys on every side of a jump gates so I get advanced warning when someone enters them. Border system always get a small fleet of frigates and recon and surveillance forces to deal with smaller incursions.

You can also reinforce a gate with mines, this is a very inexpensive and effective way to defend a gate with automated defenses.

I usually don't like to put defense stations around a jump point, mainly for RP reasons. These stations are very vulnerable and I don't like to spend huge resource to guard single jump point not to mention human life that are very alone out there when a large enough fleet jump through.

Offline strych90

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
Quote from: Jorgen_CAB link=topic=5591. msg57468#msg57468 date=1353085554
I'm in favor of using jump gates but I only use them on system that I have colonized and so I have part of my fleet jump capable so I can do offensive maneuvers in enemy territory.  I might also build them in system I intend to invade if I feel it is a feasible strategy and worth the risk.

I deploy buoys on every side of a jump gates so I get advanced warning when someone enters them.  Border system always get a small fleet of frigates and recon and surveillance forces to deal with smaller incursions. 

You can also reinforce a gate with mines, this is a very inexpensive and effective way to defend a gate with automated defenses.

I usually don't like to put defense stations around a jump point, mainly for RP reasons.  These stations are very vulnerable and I don't like to spend huge resource to guard single jump point not to mention human life that are very alone out there when a large enough fleet jump through.

That's a good point Jorgen.
I guess the moral of the story is to not use them indiscriminately and make sure you have some ability to detect if others are using them and defend against incursions (which I admit, I rarely do).