Author Topic: 2 (possible) bugs regarding ruins and enemies.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline seinwave (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
2 (possible) bugs regarding ruins and enemies.
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
In my Alpha Centauri, there are two 2.0 planets I was eager to colonize. I had made contact with a race in that system I called the Centaurians (though they didn't come from that system or even have any thermal-detected population, as I figured out later). Things had gone south relation-wise, leading to them ramming me with a colony ship and -500 regard between us (after making some progress with communication).

I originally thought they were Precursors but couldn't be sure, since there were several wrecks that matched up with ships encountered in wildly different areas of the galaxy. They also had very high tech (missiles encountered later that moved at 40k km/s, and ICF drives on ships built three years into the game) and seemed to be in "pockets". Then again, I started with 16 NPRs, so it could have been one of them. Anyway, all I encountered of them in Alpha Centauri was three "Thunderer"-class 100kt colony ships moving at 4k km/s.

I moved in two MORE survey ships (to replace the rammed one) when strange things started to happen.

First of all, one of my survey ships picked up some active sensor contacts on one of the planets (let's call it A), but no thermal contacts (my surveyors have both EM and thermal sensors). One 5-second increment later, it was obliterated by size 3 "Gunslinger" missiles. I immediately sent my small fleet in after it, but they found no active sensor contacts or even any thermal contacts. All they found were some size-24 ICBMs hanging around the planet, motionless. I found that pretty weird, but whatever. After taking those down, I left the fleet moving about the system to protect against further sneak attacks, and moved in the survey ships.

Turns out both 2.0 planets had ruins: one was a ruined city with about 200 installations and one a ruined colony with 50. The xenology team took their sweet time deciphering the language (they were both from the same TL2 empire) but after about 5 years, they were ready for explotation. So I dropped three engineer battalions on each (plus a mobile infantry division, for the robotic guardians) and left them to their devices as I built up Sol and prepared to build up Alpha Centauri.

Four years in, some very, very strange things happened. First, on New Berlin (the ruined colony), the troops encountered Alpha Centaurian (NOT robotic guardian) battalions out of nowhere. We began to roundly kick their ass with a fleet in orbit in case things turned south (the fleet's thermal sensors showed me a strength 30 force on the ground). I also had all ships in the area turn on active sensors, since I thought, surely, some form of enemy transport had stealthily dropped these in. Half-way through, my engineers disturbed a vault of robotic guardians, which was announced with a message that I did not get from the Alpha Centauri force. Eventually, though, with some well-placed Marine battalions, we dispatched the entire force.

After a year, the EXACT SAME THING happened on the ruined city (Ferris Fields). This time, the force stationed there began to lose, even though the force was one-half of the one on New Berlin. They, too, disturbed robotic guardians halfway through, which lead to the total loss of a division and half a million colonists before more troops could be dropped and expensively pushed back both forces.

So have I encountered (a) a bug, (b) a very fast, very stealthy ship capable of dropping divisions-size forces, (c) some form of stealth PDC that waits years before releasing it's troops, or (d) troops which are very, very good at hiding?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:37:49 PM by MrBob »

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: 2 (possible) bugs regarding ruins and enemies.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
The size 24 missiles in orbit are orbital captor mines.

I would say that the troop situation is something new that Steve has introduced - and I can not wait to stumble on it in my game!

You may want to change the title to include that it may be a spoiler post, if it is something new Steve has put in.