Author Topic: Missing Task Force Commander  (Read 952 times)

Offline obsidian_green (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • o
Missing Task Force Commander
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
I fought a battle and lost the ship with the flag bridge, yet the TF commander stationed on that flag bridge is still alive, her location "(unknown system)". If anyone knows, what exactly is happening? I haven't fiddled with a SM "solution" yet; I want to learn the mechanics of it first before deciding what to do with the initial TF commander ... whether I should kill her off as a casualty or relocate her.

Typing this, I wonder if the missing officer is the only problem. If a flag bridge is associated with a TF and is destroyed, how do I reassign that TF to a new HQ? I think I have to be at the same location to make a transfer, but where is "(unknown system)"?

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Re: Missing Task Force Commander
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
Long and short of it:  The commanders associated with the task force knew they were on the ship (as reflected in the commander screen), but the ship didn't know they were aboard (didn't show up in the History/Officer/Misc tab of the Task Groups screen), so when the ship was destroyed the task force members simply entered the ether of "unknown system" because the logic didn't know to look for them as passengers and possible casualties of the action.  This will be fixed in the C# version with the changes in how task forces are handled, but in the mean time one thing to do is unassign the task force members, leaving them as passengers on the ship, and then reassigning them after the battle.  This will allow for casualties among the task force personnel as well as the ship's company and for them to survive the destruction of the flagship in escape pods.  Otherwise, simply leave them in their unknown condition until the survivors of the flagship are rescued, then just place them on that ship as being "rescued" as well.  If they aren't rescued you can retire the officers in question as they would have died along with the crew in the escape pods.

Adam.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline obsidian_green (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • o
Re: Missing Task Force Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:10:20 AM »
Thanks. That explanation was exactly what I was looking for.

In case there's any curiosity, my flag bridge was on an engineless pod inside a hangar on the ship that went pop, so I have no qualms about roleplaying the staff's survival (I scooped my other life pods), although I would have liked the probability of some casualties. I just SM-ed the task force back to Earth, where those survivors would have ended up and the task force HQ would have been reestablished prior to a new deployment.