Author Topic: Editing NPRs - time related  (Read 1090 times)

Offline JimiD (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Editing NPRs - time related
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
Well, first post and first game.

Got everything installed without any trouble, and patched up to 4.82.

Working my way through the tutorials, and getting into the game good and proper.

I have, however, hit a little snag.

I have an NPR somewhere fighting a battle, which has brought the game to a halt, relatively speaking.  I am familar with the other posts on the topic, including the one in this sub forum below here.  So I have Automatic turns on, but I have just speant 1 1/2 hours in front the the PC, waiting for the NPR to finish having fun.  A tad dull, and I am only 4 game years in.

So, while I understand that history, and purpose, behing Aurora as a storey telling engine, and how the NPR AI running in parallel with the player, this has made this game a lot less fun.  I might want to suggest an option to have NPR events decided by a simple die roll rather than full battle, but maybe I can do this my self?

Can I use SM mode to view the NPR event, delete the relavant ships etc, as if one side lost dramatically?  It might not be fair, but this is a single player game, so it doesnt really matter.

Just in case it matters, I have below the detail I have picked up from using SM on the event viewer.  Spoilered as I think it might be needed:

[spoiler:3enm8jpd]Event log shows a 'Queen' and 'Soilder021' repeatedly charing and bombarding with meson canons.  From other posts I am guessing some sort of ant/bee type race, but I guess I will find out in future games.[/spoiler:3enm8jpd]

If I cant edit it, then I guess I will start a new game.  Other people seem to have long running games without this interuption, so maybe I am unlucky with this event so early.  I seem 4.9 deals with potential NPR loops, so patching up will also avoid the likelyhood of this occuring again.

Anyway, great game, and thanks for any help

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Editing NPRs - time related
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
Quote from: "JimiD"
Well, first post and first game.

Got everything installed without any trouble, and patched up to 4.82.

Working my way through the tutorials, and getting into the game good and proper.

I have, however, hit a little snag.

I have an NPR somewhere fighting a battle, which has brought the game to a halt, relatively speaking.  I am familar with the other posts on the topic, including the one in this sub forum below here.  So I have Automatic turns on, but I have just speant 1 1/2 hours in front the the PC, waiting for the NPR to finish having fun.  A tad dull, and I am only 4 game years in.

So, while I understand that history, and purpose, behing Aurora as a storey telling engine, and how the NPR AI running in parallel with the player, this has made this game a lot less fun.  I might want to suggest an option to have NPR events decided by a simple die roll rather than full battle, but maybe I can do this my self?

Can I use SM mode to view the NPR event, delete the relavant ships etc, as if one side lost dramatically?  It might not be fair, but this is a single player game, so it doesnt really matter.

Just in case it matters, I have below the detail I have picked up from using SM on the event viewer.  Spoilered as I think it might be needed:

[spoiler:1pxxrm50]Event log shows a 'Queen' and 'Soilder021' repeatedly charing and bombarding with meson canons.  From other posts I am guessing some sort of ant/bee type race, but I guess I will find out in future games.[/spoiler:1pxxrm50]

If I cant edit it, then I guess I will start a new game.  Other people seem to have long running games without this interuption, so maybe I am unlucky with this event so early.  I seem 4.9 deals with potential NPR loops, so patching up will also avoid the likelyhood of this occuring again.

Anyway, great game, and thanks for any help
The problem you described with the continual bombardment with meson cannon is a known bug in v4.8 that is fixed in v4.9. There are also some other changes in v4.9 that should reduce the number of NPR interrupts. With regard to resolving the NPR battles with a single die roll, that would be a little tricky given the number of factors involved. You can't see NPRs in SM mode.

Steve

Offline JimiD (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Re: Editing NPRs - time related
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I guessed as much from further reading and started a new 4.9 game.  The new game has one NPR, and no precursors or new NPR empires.  A tad dull compared to the standard game, but at least I know that there will be no delays unless I meet the NPR!  It also allows me to explore the other parts of the game, and if I get bored, I can always start again.

I couldnt bring myself to start again thinking that this interupt event might happen at any second.  An over reaction perhaps, but I run an old machine, and I am quite used to dialling down a game to get it to run at a reasonable speed.

This time I started with pre-assigned tech, and without any SM instant created ships or tech, so I am inching forward, but it is much more involving.  So far we have no military built, but I figure that this makes sense from an RP sense, as we didnt arm Apollo eleven with missile launchers.

And I have to try to terraform Mars.  Just because.