Author Topic: Terraforming Help?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline TheLastRonin (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • T
Terraforming Help?
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
Can someone explain terraforming to me? I have read the wiki and tried it in game but I just straight out fail at it. Maybe provide me with a step by step example?

For example I know that 'safe greenhouse gasses' warms up an atmosphere but will a certain amount of greenhouse gasses continue warming the atmosphere or does it warm the atmosphere to a certain level and then level out? Also is it possible to take gasses out of an atmosphere instead of just putting them in?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Terraforming Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
Look here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1860&start=15#p18004

May I suggest reading through the tutorials?
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Lafe Sparhawk

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
I hope my limited experience can be of some help. I have played around with terraforming a bit. After adding enough Carbon Dioxide to Mars to increase the temperature to 7 degrees Celsius I switched to adding Oxygen. Currently the temperature has increased to over 9 degrees. To remove a gas simply select it and make sure the box "add gas to atmosphere" is not checkmarked.

Lafe

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 04:23:57 AM »
Quote from: "TheLastRonin"
For example I know that 'safe greenhouse gasses' warms up an atmosphere but will a certain amount of greenhouse gasses continue warming the atmosphere or does it warm the atmosphere to a certain level and then level out? Also is it possible to take gasses out of an atmosphere instead of just putting them in?

Changing the atmosphere by x will have f(x) effect, and that's it.  It's not an ongoing process, unless you are continually adding (or removing) more gas - with the corollary that changing the hydrosphere (ice sheet to liquid, or vice versa) will have secondary effect on temperature (via planetary albedo) that may take a few construction cycles to work through (due to the recursive nature of the calculations).

So if you turn off terraforming the temperature will hold where it is.  And yes, you can remove as well as add, that's why there's a checkbox titled 'Add Gas to Atmosphere' - leaving it unchecked removes the specified gas.