Author Topic: anti missile missile advice  (Read 2289 times)

Offline laz (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
anti missile missile advice
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
Hello there

Had a rather amusing fight with a single prescursor ship the other day

I had a fleet of 5 ships armed with my first attempt at using missile techs. I don't know whether the design's themselves were at fault or whether the prescursor tech is so high that I was basically hoping for too much out of my technology for what I got anyway. My tactic was to approach the prescursor and deflect its main means of attack which is basically a series of 22 size 3 missile salvo's. By simply overwhelming it with ships stocked up with tons of size 1 AMM's

Basically My AMM's did their job 1/3 of them managed to intercept the precursor's missiles. I then got the message that the warheads were insufficient to kill the incoming missiles  :shock:

This is my Shield Class Anti Missile Missle. First mistake I spotted in this design is ive got far too much fuel on it for a closer range AMM. Thought I might be able to have them intercept at a longer range but my zero resolution sensors are the limit lesson learned.

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 26
Speed: 50000 km/s    Endurance: 20 minutes   Range: 60.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.2333
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 1300%   3k km/s 416%   5k km/s 260%   10k km/s 130%
Materials Required:    0.9833x Gallicite   Fuel x500

What is a nice ideal compromise between Engine, Fuel, Agility and Warhead strength for such designs. This missile had the following ratio when I designed it

Warhead 0.1
Engine    0.5
Fuel        0.2
Agility     0.2

What way can I improve the design and go back to hammer this lone precursor ship?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: anti missile missile advice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
AMMs need at least a strength-1 warhead. As you AMMs deal 0 damage, they can´t kill anything.

Other than that, they look ok except for fuel, way too much! My AMMs have between 0.01 and 0.03 fuel.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:15 AM »
This nifty utility might be of some use to you: OpenOffice spreadsheet for easy missile design. He's also got an Excel version available. Check out the thread and download the spreadsheet if you find it useful.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:47:22 AM »
I think the main problem here is that a 0-warhead missile is automatically classed as an AMM.
Maybe there should be a warning or something when creating a 0 warhead missile without submunitions.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:26:20 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
I think the main problem here is that a 0-warhead missile is automatically classed as an AMM.
Maybe there should be a warning or something when creating a 0 warhead missile without submunitions.
You can create missiles with sensors that have no warhead or even decoy armoured missiles, so no warhead isn't necessarily indicative of a bad design.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:45:27 AM »
Still a question wouldn't hurt.
Thats not a bad direction, btw., instead of automatically calling a 0-WH missile an AMM, why not call it a decoy?

If you want sensor missiles, as long as they can't redirect surrounding sub munitions, you'd probably go for buoys or drones anyways.