Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107575 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
I would like to suggest that certain actions take time that are currently done instantly now.  As these actions can be done manually and in that sense take no time it could be argued that it is odd to have them take time when done in a order but the reality is they do take time when done manually...they take the players time.

I'd suggest that refueling takes a time rated by the amount transfered 100 m3/h might be a starting point plus a fixed time to couple and decouple.  If any Navy people are about they probably know as a quick google didn't reveal a rate that I could find.

Remunitioning a ship with missiles probably should be a fixed couple/decouple time and then 5-10 min per missile space point to move it from one ship to the other.

Spares could be moved at a rate of 5 min per MSP transfered plus the fixed couple/decouple time.

The couple/decouple time isn't exactly that the two ships lock airlocks but mainly the time that is required to get close to each other and open airlock doors and exchange all the standard transfer protocols list and everything else involved in such transfers.

This would be another case where logistics skill could be used to reduce the times.

These are on my list. I would have some sort of fuel transfer tech etc. so that dedicated tankers would have a much faster transfer rate. Same for ordnance reloads, etc. Just need to generate the enthusiasm to dive in when I get some spare time :)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
The major problem is that there are a lot of basic TN techs and most things you build or design requires one or more of them. For a TN start they are almost all available so no problem. For a conventional start I would either have to set up checks for the techs every time an NPR considered designing a ship, constructing an installation, etc, or create a series of flags for all the various ships, installations etc and check/set those flags every time a new tech was researched. It's possible, it's just a lot of work. I will get to it one day :)

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to have a solution where you just give them one or a few long list with these "basic" techs and have them postpone all ship design and ship building? Still allow the basics like upgrade conventional industries (which usually takes a few decades anyways), or do other conventional start things until they have the basic research for most ship design figured out so ordinary AI can be used.

Basically either just use a single flag to say "ding" now I'm ready with all the basics, or perhaps have two flags one for civilian and one for military ships.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:01:54 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
Wouldn't it be a bit easier to have a solution where you just give them one or a few long list with these "basic" techs and have them postpone all ship design and ship building? Still allow the basics like upgrade conventional industries (which usually takes a few decades anyways), or do other conventional start things until they have the basic research for most ship design figured out so ordinary AI can be used.

Basically either just use a single flag to say "ding" now I'm ready with all the basics, or perhaps have two flags one for civilian and one for military ships.

That's possible but it would put them at a huge disadvantage. For example, you can build survey ships or freighters a lot sooner than you can build a warship.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2013, 06:39:35 AM »
That's possible but it would put them at a huge disadvantage. For example, you can build survey ships or freighters a lot sooner than you can build a warship.

Yes I realized that as well and thats the reason it might make sense to split civilian (geo survey and freighters) and military into two separate lists where they complete and are allowed to build most civilian ships first.

Perhaps a re balance of how expensive some of the first unlocking techs are is also appropriate here to speed up their ability to complete the list.

My main point was that this would put the AI in a much better situation compared to currently regardless of if there are some inefficiencies ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:41:54 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »
My main point was that this would put the AI in a much better situation compared to currently regardless of if there are some inefficiencies ;D
Would it be possible to have several phases of development, essentially checkpoints on one long research queue? You could have a "civilian shipbuilding" and a "military shipbuilding" phase, or you could go somewhat more complicated and have "explore" (survey ships only), "expand/exploit" (colony ships, gate construction and freighters) and finally "exterminate" (military construction) once they reach the end of the starting research queue and transition the standard NPR AI.

It might also be a good time to implement PDCs for NPRs, so they could build primitive defences during phases 1/2. They wouldn't be able to put up a serious fight without much tech, but it would be fun to shoot down a few hundred desperately launched ICBM-equivalents before subjugating a planet.

Offline markus

• Leading Rate
  • m
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »

Sure, but presently they are at an even huger disadvantage, right? Even if they take 20 years to research the prerequsite techs, it's still better than the current situation when they do nothing ever.

Alex's solution actually sounds like a nice stopgap measure.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
1 years ago the Game r fast...

Now with 2 only NPR around, zero Drone, Zero precursors No Swarm..the Game was ...bad.

i know another word for descritp the REAL annoying time waste to waitn 1 turn..

am play from BEGINING in this State..

Srry Steve : again to slowing game, another step to..Stop Aurora forever.

good job, but not for my (2 cents) opinion.

Really srry..

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #232 on: December 24, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
My suggestion, adding the "always on top" for windows

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
My suggestion, adding the "always on top" for windows

There definitely is not enough screen real estate for that, unless you are running dual/triple monitors. Economics, events, and system/galactic map takes up a lot of space.

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
then adding the termination of turns for the event log

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
then adding the termination of turns for the event log

The date/time of the event isn't enough? Or am I missing what you mean?

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I play in one monitor and every time when i click to end turn event log hidde to main window.  Is it possible to block that did not disappear.  Sorry for my english  :-[

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
When ive buy a second Monitor...Aurora Life speed up at the top.

2 monitors r perfect for Aurora. All changes. Better

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
I play in one monitor and every time when i click to end turn event log hidde to main window.  Is it possible to block that did not disappear.  Sorry for my english  :-[

It should still be on the task bar. Or you can use Alt-F3 (I think) to display it again.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
Suggestion: a queue for ground forces training, so we don't have to micromanage it.