Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 109513 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #645 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:35 AM »
I found a logical inconsistency!

i use MIRV with warheads, but once the MIRV missiles releases its payload the primary carrier missile does not speed up accordingly with the lowered mass of the missile sans MIRV bomblets!

PLZ Fix

If that is the biggest inconsistency you found, I am in good shape :)

How about the ships maintaining the same speed when they should be under constantly increasing acceleration due to fuel use?

Or how do the ships instantly change direction at 4000 km/s?

Offline amimai

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #646 on: September 02, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »
If that is the biggest inconsistency you found, I am in good shape :)

How about the ships maintaining the same speed when they should be under constantly increasing acceleration due to fuel use?

Or how do the ships instantly change direction at 4000 km/s?
i assumed that was the "trans-Newtonian" part of trans-Newtonian

this makes MIRV game play impractical with is sad
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:22:31 AM by amimai »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #647 on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »

If the ships follow the Trans-Newtonian rules, why would the missiles be different? Empty freighters don't move any faster than full ones for example?

Offline amimai

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #648 on: September 02, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
good point! it must be another logical inconsistency!

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #649 on: September 02, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
good point! it must be another logical inconsistency!
Except it is logically consistent because all of the mechanics in the game work like this.
Cargo, missiles, hangar space, maintence storage, cryogenic capacity, all of it.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #650 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
A space wizard did it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
A space wizard did it.

A very powerful space wizard going by the name of Steve.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »

Why are MIRVs impractical? If my one munition generates 6 sub-munitions, that's 6 more targets for the PD to deal with. If my salvo is 30, then all of a sudden it is 180, that's a big-ass pain in the PD's butt.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »
Why are MIRVs impractical? If my one munition generates 6 sub-munitions, that's 6 more targets for the PD to deal with. If my salvo is 30, then all of a sudden it is 180, that's a big-ass pain in the PD's butt.

This.

Why would speed of empty first MIRV stage bother you after releasing submunition ?? Its sole purpose is to deliver swarm of missiles/single large one over range longer than single stage missile would allow. Thats it.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
It might be from a misunderstanding of what exactly a MIRV is.  If someone was thinking it was one projectile that split into two or more and with the split each piece was identical (literally, the missile split into two).

Offline amimai

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #655 on: September 05, 2015, 03:43:31 AM »
It might be from a misunderstanding of what exactly a MIRV is.  If someone was thinking it was one projectile that split into two or more and with the split each piece was identical (literally, the missile split into two).

well we are all using the word wrong in any case  :P

in any case i define a MIRV as anything the releases sub munitions
my ones even carry warheads on them  ;D

ie:
carrier missile
warhead: 81
sub munition: 20xSize 1 bomblet

thats why speed actually maters to me after bomblet release, i still have a use for the primary missile

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #656 on: September 05, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
Well to be a complete pedant MIRV means multiple independent reentry vehicle, historically by the time separation occurs everything is ballistic, changes in weight would make no difference, only air resistance.
But in aurora we mean something different, but in a similar vein the pre separation bus is basically just a transportation stage, after ejection it's job is done and it would make no sense for it to accelerate or do anything more.
If one designed a Newtonian multi stage missile and launched it into space you would find that after separation the bus would continue travelling on the same path at the same speed, excepting of course the disruptive effect that the drive exhaust of the second stage would have on the first stage colliding into it. 
But in aurora engines don't conserve momentum, once they're shut off ships stop immediately. In aurora weight doesn't have direct correlation with speed, freighters keep the same speed loaded as unloaded, carriers don't speed up after launching fighters, cruisers don't accelerate after delivering a punishing alpha strike of missiles weighing 10% the ships weight. Fuel use doesn't increase speed, etc. Damaged engines will reduce a ships speed though.
But what about tractored vessels? A tugs speed changes based on the weight of the towed ship right ?  I have a theory that what actually affects a ships speed is it's HS, which is the ships volume, it's just a coincidence that 1 HS weighs 50 tons.
Think about it, a ships volume doesn't change when it uses fuel, launches parasites, missiles, unloads freight, etc. But the total volume does change when a tug tows a vessel, which causes a speed reduction.

Edit:

Reading through the trans Newtonian campaign when I saw this:

I have been reading up on electronic warfare lately so a future version (but not v4.0) could have systems along the lines of the following:

1) Jammers that can jam all active sensors and fire controls of a particular resolution within a specific area. This will affect friendly ships within the same area as well.
2) Jammers that jam a specific hostile active sensor within range of the jammer
3) Decoys that will have a chance to distract self-guiding missiles within a set range
4) Decoys that will appear to be ships to enemy sensors, or flares to generate thermal signatures
5) On-board blip enhancers to make targets appear larger
6) Some form of chaff to block hostile fire control against a specific target
7) A Towed decoy that exactly replicates the signatures of a particular ship
8) Specialized passive sensors that can detect the lock on of hostile fire control systems

These systems would replace the current ECM. ECCM would consist of improved sensors to burn through the jamming or be able to figure out which are the decoys, etc. This is all in the early stages at the moment though.

Steve
Sounds great, what was the result of your research into this?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:05:55 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #657 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
Some more random wish list:

1. ECM and ECCM be modifiable like other sensor systems. Variables such as the size of the system, how powerful it is (ie: range, rule of square), how effective it is (ie: efficiency), how hardened it is, and how stealthy it is. With a powerful but low tech ECCM being able to simply burn through even very high level ECM at close range.
^^I realize there is a post concerning EW above me, but in my defence I did not see that until I looked at the preview.

2. Laser CIWS, Meson CIWS and Railgun CIWS. I realize not everyone uses CIWS, but I love the idea of having a Laser GUARDIAN system (Mass Effect) or a railgun based Asteroid Defence System (Dead Space). Also the ability of CIWS to target fighters and boarding parties that stray too close when there are no more missiles to shoot.

3. Having modular 'slots' where the roles of certain ships and fighters can be changed. Examples include ECM pods for fighters, changing a shuttle from long-range recon duty to troop ferrying duty, or changing a ship's weapon configuration for certain missions. Sometimes I wish I could just modify a ship for one mission instead of having to retrofit the entire ship for several months.

4. More satellite equipment for ships. Orbital loaders, ferries and lighters (Ship based Spaceport), Medical lab (population growth, genetic engineering), Fighter or Ordinance Fabrication, Internal/Mobile Shipyard, Manufacturing Sections, Supply Production, GF Training (Bonus to Marines) and so forth. Having some of them work without orbiting a body would be nice as well.

5. Secret Police, Propaganda Centres, Reeducation Centres, which lower the effects of unrest, or lower unrest entirely. Military Police ground units, which reduce unrest greatly compared to other units.

6. Atmospheric Dust should lower the accuracy of future orbital bombardment, but any misses should still produce dust and hit civilian targets.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #658 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
I was wondering if anyone besides me would like to have a hangar reloaded gun that works somewhat similar to the box launchers, like the Metal Storm.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #659 on: September 14, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »
I was wondering if anyone besides me would like to have a hangar reloaded gun that works somewhat similar to the box launchers, like the Metal Storm.

Correct my understanding if I'm wrong.
So say a 1HS sized gauss cannon, that still has 100% base accuracy (as opposed to the 16% it would), but has a limited magazine (perhaps 1HS of ammo equals 40 shots, affected by ROF tech ofcrouse, so a rof1 would get 40 5 sec increments worth of fire, while a rof8 one would only get 5 5 sec increments of fire.)
???

But enough about that. Heres my POS suggestion.

How about making it so that the player can have 2 or more System Maps (F3) open at the same time. Each locked to a particular factions view.
Reasons for doing this. 1, Perhaps when doing a multi faction campaign, open different maps on different windows at the same time.
2, perhaps you're actually fighting a battle against an npr in 2-3 systems at teh same time, and want to keep track of them all, but are having issues jumping between the actual systems in a single map.
3, if I want to grab a couple friends, and have them fight eachother. i can give them each a screen (or livestream) showing their system map (sensors and all that), and thats it, and I as the SM can give orders as they ask.