Author Topic: Aurora for mac?  (Read 11855 times)

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Aurora for mac?
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
Hello to all who read this, I recently aquired a veery nice macintosh, downloaded virtual box and added linux as well, laptop, far better then my old one and with a decent sized screen so i can actually see the taskbars ingame. I tried installing ( i'm not the.... most ... savvy computer person ) with the version i had on my USB but it didn't work, Therefore i'm guessing aurora is exclusively windows. I was wondering if there are any versions of the game for mac or linux that i haven't seen? Help would be appreciated.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
Re: Aurora for mac?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
I'm having mixed result with wine bottler, but configuring it all up is a bit messy. how confident are you with the command line?

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
Not at all, the ony work i've had with programs and code was a progamming class in highschool that i barely managed to pass.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:10:34 PM by Shininglight »

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »
ok, plan B: was your previous laptop windows? if that's the case, under its belly you should have a valid windows licence.

you can then run aurora under windows under virtualbox. you don't even need a recent windows, if your old lappie was windows xp based it's even better.

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
Hello to all who read this, I recently aquired a veery nice macintosh, downloaded virtual box and added linux as well, laptop, far better then my old one and with a decent sized screen so i can actually see the taskbars ingame. I tried installing ( i'm not the.... most ... savvy computer person ) with the version i had on my USB but it didn't work, Therefore i'm guessing aurora is exclusively windows. I was wondering if there are any versions of the game for mac or linux that i haven't seen? Help would be appreciated.

yes it is possible to run it under wine, but it takes a bit of tweaking. There are a few threads about it in the bugs forum, and a complete tweaked wine prefix that you can just download and run. Sadly I was using megaupload to distribute it, and with the war on cyberlockers on I don't know how to distribute any prebuilt wine prefix easily over the net.

When I have a day or two of free time again I'll rebuild the thing for the new wine and aurora versions, but that looks to be a few months off at the very least.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
yes it is possible to run it under wine, but it takes a bit of tweaking. There are a few threads about it in the bugs forum, and a complete tweaked wine prefix that you can just download and run. Sadly I was using megaupload to distribute it, and with the war on cyberlockers on I don't know how to distribute any prebuilt wine prefix easily over the net.

When I have a day or two of free time again I'll rebuild the thing for the new wine and aurora versions, but that looks to be a few months off at the very least.

If it is under 2meg, you can put it here. Click Downloads at the top. Otherwise send me a PM and we'll work something out.

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:08:26 AM »
The last one I built was around 100 MB. I'll drop you a PM when I ever get to spend a day or two rebuilding it and bug hunting to make it better, but with my current work schedule that is looking like a december timeframe.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
Just post a link when you can and thanks for the help Catty.

Offline Tobit

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
Yep, I'm a mac user who would be much appreciative. 

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Still wondering if the help will be forthcoming, i've been running aurora on wine with the MSST downloaded but get the type 13 error and have no idea how to fix it. I found the thread dealing with it but don't know how to do half the crap that is mentioned -_-'

Offline Hurmdurm

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
I too would greatly appreciate a download or step-by-step guide (or even a relatively comprehensive overview) to facilitate an error-free Aurora experience on Mac OS X. 

So far, I've encountered (and partially troubleshooted) errors during installation about missing OCX files, errors about missing DLL files when opening the F9 System window, Type 13 errors that occur frequently due to missing dcom98 files, and (most cripplingly) hundreds or thousands of type 424 CreateGameLog files that occur occasionally and require a game restart.  If anyone would find it helpful, I should be able to write more about my experiences with these things and link to a few explanatory threads from old versions of the game.

Offline zatomic

• Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
I've been running Aurora under mac using Wine.  I installed wine from MacPorts, along with winetricks.  Then followed the directions on the wine website in their appDB section somebody posted for Aurora.  Only problem I've had is a series of errors to click through about once a game year when it tries to write a log file.  I will see about writing up really step by step directions for the whole process, but it probably won't happen real soon.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
@zatomic

Could you post a link to the instructions on the wine website? I recently downloaded Macports but i'm still figuring it out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:47:47 PM by Shininglight »

Offline zatomic

• Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
Here's the link, probably mangled due to my low post count. 

hxxp: appdb. winehq. org/objectManager. php?sClass=application&iId=14790

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »
Just hit a small problem, my mac runs snow leopard and for some reason theres no xcode already installed. Sadly this means macports isn't working when i try to install wine and winetricks.

And theres no xcode downloads less than version 4 that i can find. Ans since version 4 is incompatible with snow leopard i seem to be screwed