Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 266007 times)

Offline drejr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • d
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #975 on: September 10, 2020, 07:24:18 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that fleets tend to come "unstuck" from orbits fairly easily. This can be especially troublesome for stations with no engines.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #976 on: September 11, 2020, 03:29:05 PM »
A few related suggestions:

First, can we please have different save files for each game?  It seems crazy to me that all our saves are in one DB file.  Splitting it would make creating back-ups easier, and would help with save and load times; no need to save or load games you aren't actually currently playing.

Second, can we have a way to trim superfluous entries from the DB, specifically in the event log?  The discord has found that a major source of long save times and possibly slow-down is the event log.  Late-game event logs can be hundreds of thousands of entries, especially if you have had significant ground combat.  Most of those entries will likely not matter for anything.  I don't expect the game to figure out which entries can be dropped, but maybe the user could.  Maybe it could be something like "Delete all entries before X date".

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #977 on: September 15, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
I've been thinking about terraforming lately, and I suggest that the terraforming tab include all the climate information about the planet, including things like the plate tectonics level that you can't change. This would make it easier to make a terraforming plan that changes the climate type as well as the colony cost.

As a further suggestion that would aid new players, you could add information about the current terrain type as well. The upper and lower bounds for temperature, hydrology, and oxygen content for the current terrain type are very useful to know when terraforming, but the only way to find out are either trial and error or searching the forum.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #978 on: September 15, 2020, 03:57:53 PM »
Two related suggestions:

Can we please have display showing mineral totals for each system?  I get that I can eventually get that info by looking at the system window, but that is one system at a time and breaks it down by individual planets.  I want the totals of each mineral type in each system; that will help narrow down the search for systems to focus colonization efforts on.  I could then see at a glance what minerals a system has without having to scroll through the system window looking at every planet.  I will still want to do that eventually, but this way I can weed out many garbage systems with little effort.

With that in mind, can we please have the ability to mark systems on the galactic map, and have those marks influence standing orders?  The idea being that I could mark specific systems to be surveyed, and my surveyors would automatically go there and survey them.  Ideally we would be able to do this for other standing orders like "Move orbital miner to mineral source", but geosurveying is the one I'd want the most.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #979 on: September 17, 2020, 03:29:57 AM »
I know Steve isn't to keen on implementing features that don't add too much gameplay... I was wondering though if we could talk about ideas to get population and planetary management a bit more into the direction of having more details and interaction happening. For example that happiness and political support for what you are doing is interconnected with what you are doing and that is interconnected to the political system you are running your empire with. A democracy for example should make its citizens more unhappy if they start a war (yes, I know, totally unrealistic, but you know... ) etc.

Any ideas welcome that really add gameplay mechanics...

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #980 on: September 17, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
Can you please make the Components tab in the Class Design window show sizes in tons?

Also in the View Technology window, the size in tons setting causes missiles to show in tons rather than MSP.
That's not consistent with the size rating of missile launchers and magazines which stay in MSP.
Also Jump Engines only ever show their rating in Tons not in HS, regardless of the checkbox about tons.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #981 on: September 17, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
Also Jump Engines only ever show their rating in Tons not in HS, regardless of the checkbox about tons.

This sounds more like a bug, you could report it eventually.

Offline dag0net

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #982 on: September 19, 2020, 06:26:16 AM »
Reserve, Import/Export produce (buildings/-) add/draw excess by assigning contracts to civilian shipping.

I know Steve isn't to keen on implementing features that don't add too much gameplay... I was wondering though if we could talk about ideas to get population and planetary management a bit more into the direction of having more details and interaction happening. For example that happiness and political support for what you are doing is interconnected with what you are doing and that is interconnected to the political system you are running your empire with. A democracy for example should make its citizens more unhappy if they start a war (yes, I know, totally unrealistic, but you know... ) etc.

Any ideas welcome that really add gameplay mechanics...

Democracy? In a xenocidal war?  Tho that Star Fire series includes a plutocrat rebellion
Funny thing about democracy is that nobody ever submits things to a vote if they think they actually need doing, much less a public vote. Though perhaps in the far far future when people admit for more that 2 years at a time that there is no true divide between the military and civilian aspect of a civilization..military do not fight to beat military, they fight for one group of 'civilians' to subjugate another group of 'civilians.'

How to implement tho? In a democracy the military is not responsible for civilian happiness or the civilian economy, it's responsible for protecting civilian and state assets, if I was Steve I'd prolly go with implementing a system reversing the economic interaction, have the player piggyback on an NPR. Potentially complex but creating an impetus to flesh out AI/NPR's
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:27:51 AM by dag0net »
People blame god for making life worth living, in the same vein. . . "Work harder Steve!"

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #983 on: September 19, 2020, 06:44:15 AM »
How to implement tho? In a democracy the military is not responsible for civilian happiness or the civilian economy, it's responsible for protecting civilian and state assets, if I was Steve I'd prolly go with implementing a system reversing the economic interaction, have the player piggyback on an NPR. Potentially complex but creating an impetus to flesh out AI/NPR's

This obviously is correct... Aurora though is built in such a way that we are suppose to role-play this interaction of civilian and state assets. If you role-play a democratic society then the "state" assets is the part of the economy that you the "player" have access to and can distribute based on role-play of those resources. They don't have to be viewed as "state" owned resources entirely.

I know that allot of people, especially lately as the game have received more attention, play it like just another game that you are suppose to beat or compete with NPRs. Aurora has never really been intended to be that kind of game... it is purely meant to be about building a story and part of that is often to do things that might often not be mathematically optimal. Life rarely are about making the most mathematically optimal choices, that would be a boring life to live.

Anyway... the game are intentionally open so we can use role-play to set these restrictions on whatever empire type we are playing. Therefore any changes that Steve does usually have to be considered in respect to that concept.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:55:37 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline dag0net

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #984 on: September 19, 2020, 07:22:12 AM »

This obviously is correct... Aurora though is built in such a way that we are suppose to role-play this interaction of civilian and state assets. If you role-play a democratic society then the "state" assets is the part of the economy that you the "player" have access to and can distribute based on role-play of those resources. They don't have to be viewed as "state" owned resources entirely.

I know that allot of people, especially lately as the game have received more attention, play it like just another game that you are suppose to beat or compete with NPRs. Aurora has never really been intended to be that kind of game... it is purely meant to be about building a story and part of that is often to do things that might often not be mathematically optimal. Life rarely are about making the most mathematically optimal choices, that would be a boring life to live.

Anyway... the game are intentionally open so we can use role-play to set these restrictions on whatever empire type we are playing. Therefore any changes that Steve does usually have to be considered in respect to that concept.

Of course, I am there responding to a hypothetical.
People blame god for making life worth living, in the same vein. . . "Work harder Steve!"

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #985 on: September 19, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »

Of course, I am there responding to a hypothetical.

As always, Jorge is correct. However I am trying to answer to this here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11908.msg140960#msg140960 big project but I think it has its market.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #986 on: September 24, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »
Suggestion: Make passive sensor contacts less informative, and thus more realistic.  How can I know what class of ship I'm looking at just from how much heat it's radiating?  I mean, a long-range tanker running low-power high efficiency engines might have a thermal signature of 200.  Meanwhile a tiny fighter running very boosted engines might also have a thermal signature of 200.

Ideally I'd think we'd need an active sensor contact on a ship to tell what class it is.  Maybe even that should take time.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #987 on: September 24, 2020, 04:43:45 PM »
Suggestion: Make passive sensor contacts less informative, and thus more realistic.  How can I know what class of ship I'm looking at just from how much heat it's radiating?  I mean, a long-range tanker running low-power high efficiency engines might have a thermal signature of 200.  Meanwhile a tiny fighter running very boosted engines might also have a thermal signature of 200.

Ideally I'd think we'd need an active sensor contact on a ship to tell what class it is.  Maybe even that should take time.

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but in the modern world I'm fairly sure we can identify the type of submarine via passive sonar due to the exact noise profile it'll give out - different submarines will be running different levels of internal machinery, at different distances from the outer hull, and those tiny variations can be used to identify the ship. I wouldn't be too surprised if you could use the fact different nations ships will run on different voltages in some way.

To relate this back to the situation: Just because they're both level 200 doesn't mean they're identical signals. The "200" is an abstraction, and could easily represent a much more nuanced and in-depth set of sensor readings.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #988 on: September 24, 2020, 04:56:37 PM »
That's because each sub creates a unique mix of frequencies.  But black body radiation is all the same.  A piece of iron at 800 degrees glows the same color as a block of aluminum at 800 degrees or a pool of lead at 800 degrees or a cloud of argon at 800 degrees.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #989 on: September 24, 2020, 08:04:31 PM »
Yes, but a thermal signal of "200" from a single boosted engine is gonna look different than a total 200 signal that is the result of 4x50 engines spaced apart on a space frame.

The point is, thermal passives aren't infrared cameras looking at blackbody radiation. There is more going on. It's all technobabble, and as long as Aurora remains incapable of handling uncertainty (i.e. this will never change), you CAN'T make it "realistic" or even particularly close to it.