Author Topic: National Updates Comment Thread  (Read 56404 times)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: National Updates Comment Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
I think it would be hilarious if the Russian and American arm both joined together at each end due by a dormant jump point. Other than that, interesting game.

PS: Do you experience a lot of slowdown in a game with that many systems?
PPS: Do you use dice, or some other way of RPing multiple factions at once?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
I think it would be hilarious if the Russian and American arm both joined together at each end due by a dormant jump point. Other than that, interesting game.

PS: Do you experience a lot of slowdown in a game with that many systems?
PPS: Do you use dice, or some other way of RPing multiple factions at once?

Its getting slower. I am using 1 day updates and it is taking perhaps 5-10 seconds per increment. I am in April 2105 at the moment.

I don't use dice. I just play each race from their perspective.

Offline Prapor

• Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=7890.  msg80917#msg80917 date=1441914881
Its getting slower.   I am using 1 day updates and it is taking perhaps 5-10 seconds per increment.   I am in April 2105 at the moment. 

I don't use dice.   I just play each race from their perspective. 

I think we will not soon see new version. 

As I can see, you don't use carriers at this game.   this is due to difficulties in controlling? Or another reasons?

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
How does he keep his galactic map so neat?  Mine always end up a mess.   :'(

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
I think we will not soon see new version. 

As I can see, you don't use carriers at this game.   this is due to difficulties in controlling? Or another reasons?

The various powers didn't have tech but the USA is currently building its first carrier (24,000 ton Kennedy class) - they just don't have fighters yet :)

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 03:01:25 AM »
Gunboat swarm instead, perhaps!

Great AAR. Hopefully China won't be destroyed. :)

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2015, 11:32:15 AM »
How does he keep his galactic map so neat?  Mine always end up a mess.   :'(

One of the changes (and surprisingly the one I'm most looking forward to) in the upcoming version is fewer jump points per system on average. Which should make it easier to create neat, linear looking strategic maps. And also make strategic positioning and fuel supply more important.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:35:04 AM by Bremen »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »
One of the changes (and surprisingly the one I'm most looking forward to) in the upcoming version is fewer jump points per system on average. Which should make it easier to create neat, linear looking strategic maps. And also make strategic positioning and fuel supply more important.

Yes, this is making a huge difference to the strategic side of play - much more interesting now to have to operate at significant distances from home.

Regarding the maps, I use the right-click option on the Galactic Map to line them up.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
The conflict between the Brazil/Caliphate alliance and the Centauri Federation could cause things to heat up fast. Seems like a smart move by Brazil; three planets makes them a ripe target, and there does seem to be a decent chance that the other powers wouldn't interfere, especially if they're all busy with their own expansion.

Just looking at the updates, it's possible it could expand to include Mars on the Centauri side, and possibly Japan on the side of the Terran faction (The Federation has been working on diplomacy with Mars, but has contested colonies with Japan). Unfortunately Mars has (quite reasonably) focused on immobile defense bases, and couldn't do much in the Centauri system, though their patrol ships would be a huge pain for enemy supply lines in Sol.

Taking this into wild speculation territory, because I'm bored, I'm looking at what those powers can bring to a fight.

The Federation navy is exclusively missile armed, which I suspect would serve them well in a defensive war. Aggressors would be away from their own sources of supply, but the Federation ships could replenish their missiles from their own colonies, and would be well positioned to win any war of attrition. They also have massively better sensors than their potential opponents. I find it surprising they haven't constructed any defense platforms considering how big a target they are, but I suppose with multiple habitable worlds their planners may think stationary defenses are an invitation to defeat in detail. As of the last update, their armed vessel tonnage is at 91,800, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have added another cruiser for a total of 102,000. That's slightly deceptive, though, since their jump ships are unarmed but useful due to their powerful sensors.

Brazil's railgun and gauss armed vessels provide potent point-defense coverage against Federation missiles, and they have a slight speed advantage so they could potentially chase them down if the Federation tries to engage them in deep space, or if they manage an ambush. Their navy currently has a combined tonnage of 102,000, with 36,000 tons currently under construction. A respectable force if they can manage a decisive battle against the Federation, and their powerful PD capabilities mean it's entirely possible they could stop all but a trickle of Federation missiles.

The Caliphate's FAC based navy is tricky. It currently has 90 armed FACs, but can't transport them all at once, and its ability to maintain and resupply the ships on site means they could be a thorn in the Federation's side if used well. Their missile armed FACs could almost certainly pound the Federation ships without coming under fire themselves, and if the Federation leaves orbit to try to chase the carriers down (assuming they can even find them, even with their sensor advantage), they'll lose most of their defensive advantages. Their combined tonnage is probably around 87,000 tons, but being FACs can likely hit above their weight class. They have about 11,000 tons more under construction, but the real limit is carrying capacity; their carriers can field 84 FACs (96 once their additional carriers finish), of which several will be unarmed sensor craft.

In the land of ideal battle planning, Brazil and the Caliphate combined could probably easily deal with the Federation using smart tactics; the Caliphate's missile FACs let them pound the Federation at range, while Brazil's navy can run down and destroy the Federation's if it gets a chance. On the other hand, Steve might easily have them split up, since it's probably not realistic that they would cooperate closely, and each hit a different planet. In that case, I think the Federation might have a chance by wearing down the enemy ships while avoiding a decisive engagement. The Caliphate carriers are also extremely vulnerable target, and the Federation's sensors and likely DSTSs on their colonies means they'd have a definite recon advantage. It would still be extremely difficult for the Federation navy to get past Brazil's potent point defense, though.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »
Just found an interesting star in this campaign. NN 3966 is an O8-V with a mass of 25 and luminosity of 40,000. Survey per location is 2000 survey points and the outer survey ring is at 30b km. The innermost planet has a nitrogen - oxygen atmosphere (0.22 atm) and a temperature of 47C but orbits at twenty-eight billion kilometers!

The tenth planet, a superjovian, orbits at thirty-eight trillion kilometers, which is not much different than the distance from Sol to Proxima Centauri :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
So..... How about those hyperdrives? :p
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
at what luminosity should a star start damaging ships? xD

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
Just found an interesting star in this campaign. NN 3966 is an O8-V with a mass of 25 and luminosity of 40,000. Survey per location is 2000 survey points and the outer survey ring is at 30b km. The innermost planet has a nitrogen - oxygen atmosphere (0.22 atm) and a temperature of 47C but orbits at twenty-eight billion kilometers!

The tenth planet, a superjovian, orbits at thirty-eight trillion kilometers, which is not much different than the distance from Sol to Proxima Centauri :)

Sounds like something went a little crazy in the system generation algorithm  ;D

France's update was cool. Them discovering shield tech and prototypes in a ruin and then developing their own is a nice flavorful development; I hope it works out well for them.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
Not necessarily. YV Canis Majoris has a mass of 25 (upper estimate, lowest estimate is 9) and a luminosity of 270,000 so I think that's what Steve found!

at what luminosity should a star start damaging ships? xD
Now that's a good question! Or at least damage shields.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
France's update was cool. Them discovering shield tech and prototypes in a ruin and then developing their own is a nice flavorful development; I hope it works out well for them.

My thoughts exactly.