Author Topic: Portable installation  (Read 4046 times)

Offline goredoom (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
Portable installation
« on: October 07, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
Hello,
I am new to this game and i would like to bring it to work where i dont have internet or admin access to install it.  I can just zip the whole install and unzip the archive there.  But the game wont start since the . ocx files are not installed.  Any idea how i can make the installion portable to an usb key and play it?
thanks in advance.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Portable installation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
A long time ago I heard of a couple of people who installed the program onto their usb drive.  They had to do it on the computer they were going to use at the office so this may not work for you.  This was back in the days of Starfire Assistant.  It should still work as the basic setup is the same but we are talking 5-7 years and computer design/software has changed so it may not work any more.

Brian

Offline oleg

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
I run it now from a dropbox folder, so I don't need to keep track of my usb stick but can switch from desktop to laptop!

Offline skeolan

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
The installer drops a bunch of dll and ocx files into your %systemroot%\system32 directory, so it's not very portable unless you can identify and move all the requisite system files into the root directory where the executable lives and add that to your system path on the target machine:

e. g.

Code: [Select]
set path=%path%;C:\games\Aurora\
cd C:\games\Aurora
Aurora.exe

That would instruct your machine to include the game's directory in the list of places it looks for the system files; however, if you don't have admin rights on the machine I'm guessing this approach is out of the question too.

I don't actually know if the path business is necessary, though: would a vb6 app properly pick up those files if they were present in the executable directory *without* adding the directory to the path? I know you can get away with sneaky tricks like that in certain . NET scenarios. . .  It'd honestly be really nice to avoid having to drop all those outdated system files into my System32 folder.  I might have to give this a try.

The biggest hurdle would be ensuring one grabbed every single system file needed by Aurora; that might take some trial and error.

Offline jimi12

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Please try that and let us know if you can figure it out.  I am interested in the results.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:54:50 AM »
Sorry if these seems a bit noobish, but can't you download the installer and put that on a thumb drive, and then just take the whole installer over?  Similar to making a .iso of a CD and moving that virtual CD to instal elsewhere?

Offline jimi12

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
I think that would still require one to have Administrator privelages.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
Sure, on your home computer.  Can't you specify the instal path to the jump drive, instead of installing it to your computer?  Then just run from jump?

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
you still need to install it on every pc you want to use aurora due to components installed in the system folder.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:49 AM »
you still need to install it on every pc you want to use aurora due to components installed in the system folder.

are you quite certain about that?   I have not had the ability to install stuff on my last two work m/c but have been able to fire up Aurora from a thumbdrive with no problems.  Of course the m/c I use are still running XP (the people I work for take a LONG time to change!)
Slàinte,

Mike

Nabobalis

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
Do people install it? I have always just unzipped the .cab and then unzipped the update on top and run the .exe with administer privileges and it works fine.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
with administer privileges

it's right in the first post.

Offline Sarganto

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
I am currently playing it by using Teamviewer. There is a teamviewer version you can use without the need to install anything.
So my PC at home is running and online and I can remotely access it from anywhere as long as I have internet access.

You can even use your smartphone to play it everywhere! Although the Aurora interface is not really smartphone-friendly. But it is definitely possible and I do it from time to time.
I even write this post at my desktop PC at home, while I am sitting in a seminar with my work laptop.

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
I've had the same problem with my stuff, I managed to get around it by getting the person with the admin password to leave the desktop up, installing it then copying the files onto my USB, it's worked so far but only on the non-admin user for that comp.  You could also try setting up an OS on your usb and then installing the Aurora files to that, I have linux on mine so i haven't been able to install but if you can find and copy a windows os lite and switch it onto your usb it might work.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.