Author Topic: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion  (Read 135670 times)

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
Re: Change Log for v7.2 Discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »
It's nine minerals, as Vendarite and Corbomite aren't needed. The other minerals are all needed for different types of ship. Rather than have different types of maintenance supplies for different ships, which would be a lot of micromanagement, the variety of minerals needed for creation of the MSP is still al lot easier than ensuring the right combination of minerals is at each place where maintenance is required. Now you can build in a central location if needed and distribute as required.

Repairs are unchanged.
In That case, could you remove some other minerals from MSP production? Like tritanium and neutronium? Missile warheads don't really need maintenance, and neither does armour (which neutronium is mostly used for, besides railguns). I was thinking of corundium as well, but almost all weapons seem to use it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:59 PM »
In That case, could you remove some other minerals from MSP production? Like tritanium and neutronium? Missile warheads don't really need maintenance, and neither does armour (which neutronium is mostly used for, besides railguns). I was thinking of corundium as well, but almost all weapons seem to use it.

Tritanium is used by missile launchers and magazines. Neutronium is used for several different systems including railguns, combat drop modules and damage control systems.

Both are minerals that are would be used in creating spare parts for ships.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »
The new civilian shipping line rules. Does this mean I can halt construction of civvy ships, and then at a later time, turn their production back on?
Yes, that's correct.
A thought occurs - how does this interact with shipping lines replacing their old ships? You might want them to still do that, if only to get obsolescent junkers out of the trade lanes, but it seems like an additional complication to the code, so I don't know.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
Yes, that's correct.
A thought occurs - how does this interact with shipping lines replacing their old ships? You might want them to still do that, if only to get obsolescent junkers out of the trade lanes, but it seems like an additional complication to the code, so I don't know.

As things stand, old ships will be scrapped even if new ships are not built.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »
As things stand, old ships will be scrapped even if new ships are not built.
Honestly thats almost better in my opinion. That would let you halt their construction, then wait a few years for them to trickle down and scrap ships, and then when you want to, give them the ability to build again. Probably have a big boom of new civvy ships about, and put them on hold again.
Never again will I click the civilian shipping menu and see literally millions of tons of civilian shipping clogging up my processor.

Edit. page finally loaded, saw civilian magazines.

Me just sitting here like "yes, yesssss, YEASSSSS" i cant wait, this patch is gonna be good.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 01:12:08 PM by linkxsc »

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
In v7.2, ship-based maintenance modules will function in deep space to maintain and overhaul other ships. All maintenance facilities at the same location, even if spread across different ships and different task groups, will all be added together for the purposes of determining how large a ship can be maintained.

I know this serves no purpose. And I know it's probably too much work. And I know this probably won't happen. But I just have to ask. Would it be possible to also have orbital habitats working in random points in space just like maintenance facilities? So that I can role-play creating an entire city with support facilities in space? Just a thought.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
I know this serves no purpose. And I know it's probably too much work. And I know this probably won't happen. But I just have to ask. Would it be possible to also have orbital habitats working in random points in space just like maintenance facilities? So that I can role-play creating an entire city with support facilities in space? Just a thought.
There is a similar discussion that went on between myself and Steve on the v7.1 discussion thread. From what he said in that discussion I think I can safely say it will not be possible. It has something to do with the way that populations are tied to system bodies and your idea would require reprogramming a large segment of the game to be even feesable. But it does look like in either this patch or the next we will get deep space stations.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 05:47:05 PM »
You could put orbital habitats in space, you just wouldn't be able to colonise or build anything there.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
So now that we are getting the nice new changes to maintenance in v7.2, how long will it be until someone designs?

A quarter of a million humans and aliens, wrapped in two million five hundred thousand tonnes of spinning metal. All alone in the nigh

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »
So now that we are getting the nice new changes to maintenance in v7.2, how long will it be until someone designs?

A quarter of a million humans and aliens, wrapped in two million five hundred thousand tonnes of spinning metal. All alone in the nigh

Done it a few times...  this just means it will be even better, though it is hard enough to stay that small already.

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Combine Populations

In v7.2 you have the option to combine two populations from the same race and species on the same planet if they both have the same political status.

This sounds useful, for certain circumstances.

Though, I was wondering if we will ever get the ability to revert the genetic modifications of a subspecies back to the original race.
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline Grenkin

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
How can we get 7. 2? I cannot find installer  :(

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
It isn't out yet.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2016, 10:09:10 PM »
The orbital habitat and maint changes have me super-stoked.  I cant really get myself to play since I've wanted orbital habitats to be feasible for so long.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
Kind of wondering about some things. Would a section marked as the "no armor" (structural shell) still be able to do their task when they are being tractored? I was planning on having sectionalized commercial ships using this new change, with a  module with nothing but cargo/cryo/harvesters/etc with a 0.1 deployment time and then an armored "drive" section with all the crew, engines, fuel, and whatnot. So would they be able to load cargo/people or harvest fuel while tractored or would they need to detach every time? I know for the harvester I could just tug out and leave but :P. Also would maintenance modules (on ships/stations) be able to construct MSP in deep space if they had the required minerals in a cargo bay at the same location (same TG) without being over a colony (orders/setting to start/stop would/could be in the ship window under the misc/cargo tab. Or a new tab in the TG window labled "Industrial" or something similar), or would you only be able to haul supplies from a colony?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.