Author Topic: About System Number  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Jeltz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
About System Number
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi Aurs

I'll try to understand -understand is biiig word- the structure of the Aurora universe.
First: a system is defined  as a star (or a binary star system) with non-stellar orbiting objects ?
Ok, Maximun System Number (MSN) Local System Generation Chance (LSGC) and Local System Generation Spread (LSGS) are the parameters.
Second: MSN is a number, the hypotetical maximum number of systems in the universe, but it seems also a distance as if the total space of the universe was costant.
Third: LSGC and LSGS are concerning the "system number" of the local system, but... what is System Number? Mybe the number of non-stellar object of the system?
At the start of the game the System Number of the "home" system how is calculate? From the MSN?

J.

...And sorry for my rusty english

Offline mikew

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: About System Number
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
A system in this case is any "location" accessible by a jump point (I say this because I believe you may be able to create a location without a star or planets, and it would just have one or more jump points.  Think of a system as a room, and the jump points as doors.  The room may have stars, planets, etc., in it, or it could be empty.  The doors connect rooms of different numbers, but rooms 2 and 3 (for example) do not have to be next to each other, and the numbers do not indicate a distinct physical location.

The system number is just how the room is identified to the computer, and the maximum system number indicates how many rooms there are.  This defines the maximum size of the universe for your game.

The local system generation chance and the local system generation spread affect how the systems connect to each other.  If you set the system generation spread to 10 (for example), and the generation chance to 50%, then each jump point has a 50% chance to connect to a system number that is within 10 of the originating system.  While I said that the system numbers don't equate to a position, having lots of connections within a short "spread" of systems gives you a higher chance of having systems connect back on each other into loops, where you might have two or more relatively short paths connecting two systems.  With a very large number of systems and a large spread, you would have fewer loops which would tend to be much larger, which would usually leave you with only one practical path between any pair of systems you explore.

As to your starting system number, I believe it is "1" by default (not at home to check), but it could just as easily be randomly assigned.  Checking your system numbers can be useful, in that they can give you an idea as to how likely they are to connect back to other systems you have explored (i.e. they are more likely to connect to other systems within the "system generation spread" above, so if your currently explored systems are 1, 5, 17, and 215, then exploring from 5 and 17 are more likely to connect back to 1 or each other than is 215.), or whether it leads you to a different "local area" of your universe.

Mike

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Two comment's on Mike's post:

1)  I'm fairly certain that a system has to have at least one star.  It doesn't have to have any other bodies, though.  From a game mechanics point of view this is the same as having no stars; only the bodies are interacted with in the game.  Starfire, in contrast to Aurora, had the concept of "warp nexus", which was a collection of jump points in empty space.

2)  An important subtlety to remember about the "maximum system number": it can be increased in mid game if you find your universe getting too crowded.  So if you start with 1000 (potential) systems, and have explored a few hundred, and there are NPR that have explored a few hundred, so that new JP tend to link back to existing systems, then you can bump the number up to 10,000 on the game-info screen and open up new territory.  Of course you should never decrease the number.

John

Offline Jeltz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:50:40 AM »
Thank's Mike and John
Now it's seems much more clear. At the end there is no "distance" from a system to another, every JP is a "door" and not a "corridor" whit a certain lenght, therefore the time spent for reaching two "contiguous" systems is always the same... Or not? In other words the "JP concept" in Aurora eliminate the "distance concept", or is every JP somehow characterized?

J.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:49 PM »
The distance from one side of a JP to the other side is always 0.