Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107628 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 25, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
I would agree, a diplomacy and relationship system like that in games such as Europa Universals would be great in this game. I would even like to extend them to your own colonies for some inter galactic political arena and role-play.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
I'd like it if shipnames could be cast in sets for classes so that newly constructed ships will draw names from the list for that class (would make things much simpler than at the moment when I have to rename 90%+ of the ships to fit into the class naming conventions I use.

for example have the shipnames.txt with;
[County]Devonshire,Hampshire,Kent

with County being the classname, so whenever you build a ship flagged as County class, it uses the next name from the list (ie if it's the third one it'll become Kent)

Matt
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:46:50 PM by boggo2300 »
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
I'd like it if shipnames could be cast in sets for classes so that newly constructed ships will draw names from the list for that class (would make things much simpler than at the moment when I have to rename 90%+ of the ships to fit into the class naming conventions I use.

for example have the shipnames.txt with;
[County]Devonshire,Hampshire,Kent

with County being the classname, so whenever you build a ship flagged as County class, it uses the next name from the list (ie if it's the third one it'll become Kent)

Matt

You can do this already.  In the Class Design screen, on the DAC / Rank / Info tab, there is a Name Type dropdown.  You can choose a name theme there and then, when you select a class to build on the Shipyards tab, the next name from the set will automatically be selected for the next ship name.

Offline OkieMurse

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
I would really like additional places to control time.  Especially on the event window as this is really the only window I'm paying any attention to while time is passing and it would be nice to quickly restart autoturns when the interrupt is inconsequential.  Either that or a standalone very slim profile time control that I can put next to the event window or whatever other window I'm watching while autoturns are chugging away.  I attached 2 poorly edited paint examples made from cut and pasting resources already in game somewhere.

I did not have to increase the size of the event window, you just lose view of 3-4 events up top (which is fairly inconsequential with a scroll bar).

Not having this is really the only reason I have to play dual-monitor.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »
I would really like additional places to control time.  Especially on the event window as this is really the only window I'm paying any attention to while time is passing and it would be nice to quickly restart autoturns when the interrupt is inconsequential.  Either that or a standalone very slim profile time control that I can put next to the event window or whatever other window I'm watching while autoturns are chugging away.  I attached 2 poorly edited paint examples made from cut and pasting resources already in game somewhere.

I did not have to increase the size of the event window, you just lose view of 3-4 events up top (which is fairly inconsequential with a scroll bar).

Not having this is really the only reason I have to play dual-monitor.

I would really like to have fewer places to control time. One place to do it is enough. Having time control that do the same thing in each and every window of a game is plain bad interface design.

Good design would be to remove time control from all windows and have a small separate window for time control that you can put wherever you want instead in that case. Then you can put it next to or on top of your event log or wherever your prefer!

Offline OkieMurse

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=5896. msg70235#msg70235 date=1393580833
I would really like to have fewer places to control time.  One place to do it is enough.  Having time control that do the same thing in each and every window of a game is plain bad interface design

Good design would be to remove time control from all windows and have a small separate window for time control that you can put wherever you want instead in that case.  Then you can put it next to or on top of your event log or wherever your prefer!

You put it a lot better than I did.  I agree with you, the small separate control would add much more flexibility and be simpler. 

Offline Vordarian

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2014, 04:48:29 AM »
I dunno if that was already suggested, but a General Staff for the Army, in the same way as there is Fleet leadership for the Navy would be great. 

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2014, 04:28:50 AM »
You put it a lot better than I did.  I agree with you, the small separate control would add much more flexibility and be simpler. 

Sorry for the harsh words. I'll try to be more constructive. Here is what I would like to see as a universal time control:

(Time control in the F3 System Maps does serve a purpose due to being different but this one could replace all other ones, including the one in F2 Economics).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2014, 04:45:23 AM »
not sure VB can keep that tab on top? 

damn thing screws up enough times every time i run a time control

the natural 'home screen' for the game is the system screen, in any case...

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »
not sure VB can keep that tab on top? 

Most people today have 1080pixles vertical resolution so it's not needed. Dock it on top of (or below) the Events, Economy or whatever window you are using.

Offline andrewas

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2014, 06:51:30 AM »
Or avoid the whole GUI issue and add hotkeys for time control.  Frees up space on the system and economy windows, and you don't need to worry about keeping a control panel visible. 

Offline Cheet4h

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=5896. msg70471#msg70471 date=1394276497
Most people today have 1080pixles vertical resolution so it's not needed.  Dock it on top of (or below) the Events, Economy or whatever window you are using.

Not sure about this.

While I run a dual monitor setup, with one 1920x1080 screen as the main screen and a 1280x1014 as secondary, I mostly set the system view to fullscreen, while the events window and galaxy window sit on my secondary screen, the galaxy window fullscreen with events over it.  I'm not sure where I'd put the time control if it wouldn't stay on top automatically, since the game often enough manages to put the events window behind the galaxy window and I have to wait until the end of the current cycle to bring it back to front.

Ah well, I need more monitors ^^

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
Not sure about this.

While I run a dual monitor setup, with one 1920x1080 screen as the main screen and a 1280x1014 as secondary, I mostly set the system view to fullscreen, while the events window and galaxy window sit on my secondary screen, the galaxy window fullscreen with events over it.  I'm not sure where I'd put the time control if it wouldn't stay on top automatically, since the game often enough manages to put the events window behind the galaxy window and I have to wait until the end of the current cycle to bring it back to front.

So you don't have a problem at all since you already have time control in the System Map View then? Check.

The original suggestion was to add time control to windows that are not fullscreen. I suggested a better solution is to have a separate small window that can be put above/below the windows that are not fullscreen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:36:59 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline Cheet4h

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=5896. msg70482#msg70482 date=1394303679
So you don't have a problem at all since you already have time control in the System Map View then? Check.

The original suggestion was to add time control to windows that are not fullscreen.  I suggested a better solution is to have a separate small window that can be put above/below the windows that are not fullscreen.

Ah, okay, I misunderstood it then.  I thought the notion were to remove time control from every window, like the system map, the F2-screen etc.  and only put in one central time control.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #314 on: March 08, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »
Ah, okay, I misunderstood it then.  I thought the notion were to remove time control from every window, like the system map, the F2-screen etc.  and only put in one central time control.

Your right, I did write that initially too :)
That was before I realized that it would be strange to remove it from the main window and that the F3 time control there has more options. I think we all mostly agree on a good suggestion for how time control should be handled now though.