Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 109465 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 19, 2014, 09:15:13 PM »
I know the two refer to different things - I'd just prefer not to multiply (or divide) by 12 in my head to compare them when I'm designing a ship.  And the reason they're given in different scales is that they were implemented at different times, and each used the scale that seemed most sensible for that specific purpose.
Really? I thought it was because it was giving the time units in the relative usefulness ie deployment in months because of moral (shown as months deployed in the TG window) and maintenance life in years because of AFR (annual failure rate) compared to MSP (maintenance storage pionts). I actually find the different scales (years and months) more useful. But I might be just reading to much into it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #481 on: January 02, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
Automated construction factories and missile factories would be nice..
Some sort of self replicating factory to build a decent industrial base before planet gets terraformed for humans.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
That's what construction engineers are for.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
That's what construction engineers are for.

Construction brigades.
Combat engineers are completely different things.

But having building like that would be nice, even if its just for flavour.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #484 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:36 AM »
I'd like to suggest a log of diplomatic actions, such as marking when two empires became hostile to each other, or when one granted the other trade access, and etc. Along with that, an additional log identifying when one side destroyed a ship of the other would be nice as well, although I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
Happy New Years,

Any chance of having exoplanets within the game?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
That can be understood the wrong way...  You mean actual found exoplanets with their real names, like the original star names, right?
Should be difficult though, because most of them are located fairly distant, and Aurora seeks to map the closer stars first. I also fear that this could potentially kind of interfere with the adventure spirit if some systems (or at least some bodies in them) map out the same way every time.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2015, 02:07:08 PM »
Happy New Years,

Any chance of having exoplanets within the game?
Ummm, there already are, as in every planet generated in the game that are not in the Sol system. I think you might have been referring to rouge planets. That actually would be an interesting mechanic. Imagine entering a system and at the center, instead of a star, is only a single planet. The jump points for that could be interesting too, instead of having the multi-layer of search points, have only a sing layer to search.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #488 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
It would be nice if in the Intelligence window, for ships of other races, if you could just fill in the space of the "Class design summary" with information you've gathered about the ship (if you don't already ahve full info)

Like say, these 9200t "temple" craft have jump capability, shoot size 3 missiles in 9 missile volleys. And they have FC33-R20 missile fire control.
These are things that you can figure out by watching how enemy ships act, or by salvaging the craft. But you can't fill in and save this info for later.

Offline CharonJr

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #489 on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:09 AM »
You can already make notes, just not in this window. There is a field for notes on the left side, somewhere below observed speed IIRC.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #490 on: January 11, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
You can already make notes, just not in this window. There is a field for notes on the left side, somewhere below observed speed IIRC.
But he means in the big box underneath under Class Design Summary.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #491 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »

Yes I see that box. But see its a bit too small when it comes down to it. It only allows a quick little line of text, which I usually devote to describing its weapon system.

Take these "Bec de corbin" 18000t ships this AI is throwing at me. Via watching them maneuver and salvaging a couple, heres what I've learned that the game isn't tracking for me in any way.

128m range active sensors, resolution 78. Game tells me this.
128m range missile FCS, resolution 78. Makes sense but game does not tell me. I only found this out via salvaging a wreck. Also their active grave sensor tech is above ours.

Ship can jump itself (however upon reverse engineering, their jump technology is about a generation behind ours)
Fires size 3 missiles in 24 shot volleys, that deal 4 damage when hitting and have a movement speed of 24000km/s. Missiles themselves appear to only have a range of ~90m.
Has 120Ep magneto plasma drives, at least 4 on board (has to be more though because the ship speed is ~4900km/s.)

(I'm still in the ion drive phase. So I've been taking all the engines I can and disassembling them. Seems like it could be fun to play a game where you only are able to build some extremely low tech stuff, the rest of your gear HAS to come from enemy shipwrecks. Wonder how the NPR generator would work with that? After all, you're empires technologies would still be fairly low, but you might have some rather powerful, yet hodgepodge ships, due to higher tech equipment.)

Other things that come to mind are another text box under "strategic intelligence" or "political relations" where you can just say stuff about the NPR itself. What date did they apparently open up trade relations with you? When is the last time you had military contact with them? (50-100 years later they might not be so upset anymore). What kind of tech have you observed of theirs? (I know that the race I'm fighting has nothing but low tech ground forces) Where have they been spotted operating, and where can it be assumed that they have been? Although this kinda mixes with JacenHan's suggestion

Offline Felius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #492 on: January 21, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
Might or might not have been suggested before, but just a suggestion to make bookkeeping easier:

A "increase tonnage to [value]" option in shipyard activity, and maybe a "add x slipways" too. Essentially, just something so you can decide that if you want a commercial shipyard of for ships of 180000 tons, you can just tell the end result instead of having go there add an "add 10000 tons capacity" every few months, and without getting the ugly numbers that come with "continual capacity expansion".

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #493 on: January 21, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »
"Ugly numbers"
Trim them down with spacemaster.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Felius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
"Ugly numbers"
Trim them down with spacemaster.
I was hoping to do so without it. Even if just for cosmetic, I try to avoid using the space master as much as possible.  :P

And on a couple suggestions, first some thoughts on crew, deployment time and required weight of crew quarters:

Could be a very nice to have a tech tree that would reduced the necessary weight per crew member. In universe, probably would be things like better recycling tech, improved entertainment tech, including things such as virtual and/or augmented reality. Hell, the latter could really make the space available look and effectively feel much bigger than it actually is, and that's just the least it could do. But, yes, in essence a minor tech tree (maybe under logistics?) that would allow more crew for more time under less space to some degree.

And secondly, something that have been probably suggested already, but nonetheless:

Allowing the player to set a design to use lower tech armor instead of the latest one, without requiring him to clone an earlier tech design and use it as a base. Sure, it would be of very limited use, but there are some issues where it'd be useful:
1. Raw Materials: Sometimes you have a massive stock of one mineral but another is rather scarce, but your current armor uses the latter instead of the one you have a lot of, like some previous tech level might.
2. Reducing the ability of the enemy to reverse engineer themselves to your tech level or "bluffing" them into thinking you have worse tech than you actually do. Sure, pretty much only for multi-player games unless you want to role play it with yourself and/or with a NPR AI who won't respond to it any differently, but still could be a nice possibility to have.
3. Weight padding for some designs, specifically jump tenders: Not a big issue,