Author Topic: A use for Infrastructure  (Read 2852 times)

Offline ShadowLop (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
A use for Infrastructure
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
Ok, so I recently terraformed Luna.
It now has 22k infrastructure on planet it'll never need.
Between it and Earth, I'm making 3k infrastructure in trade goods.
I see no reason why I should pay civs to ship 22k infrastructure to Mars, when I can tax them to ship 3k/year instead.

So, Luna has 22k infra that's pretty much wasted.

Why shouldn't I be able to just recycle the infrastructure into raw materials? Sure it's only Duranium, but resources are resources.
Or even better, turn them into maintenance supplies for ships for a small cost of Uridium/Gallacite instead of Dur/Ur/Gal.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: A use for Infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 04:20:45 AM »
I would prefer the ability to "convert back to finished trade goods", basically giving it back to the private sector so you can tax them again for it ;D

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:10:07 AM »
Ok, so I recently terraformed Luna.
It now has 22k infrastructure on planet it'll never need.
Between it and Earth, I'm making 3k infrastructure in trade goods.
I see no reason why I should pay civs to ship 22k infrastructure to Mars, when I can tax them to ship 3k/year instead.

So, Luna has 22k infra that's pretty much wasted.

Why shouldn't I be able to just recycle the infrastructure into raw materials? Sure it's only Duranium, but resources are resources.
Or even better, turn them into maintenance supplies for ships for a small cost of Uridium/Gallacite instead of Dur/Ur/Gal.

I don´t know what Steve would think about that, but _my_ answer to that would be: Because this infrastructure was made by the civ-economy and recycling it would basically generate Duranium out of thin air.

Now, Steve could implement something that keeps track of what infrastructure is made by civs and what by your industry and allow you to recycle _your_ infrastructure, but not the one made by the civilian economy, but I guess, that is not exactly what you are asking for.

A (in my opinion) better solution would be to implement a mechanic that makes civilian economy to use resources, but then, you don´t have any control about that and I can already hear the frustrated screams when the civs use your carfully stockpiled Duranium reserves :)

Perhaps make it so, that you have to hand over TN minerals to the civ economy, similar to subsidizing shipping lines, or let Aurora keep track of the amount of minerals generated by civ mining colonies, that you don´t take the minerals from?

"So, you want the civilian factories to build infrastructure for you? Well, you better hand over a couple thousand tons of Duranium to them, if you wanna get that stuff in your lifetime."
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline ShadowLop (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »
It wouldn't be a problem if they used the stockpiled infra as a source over civ manufactured if the planet it's on does not require infra for the population (breathable, acceptable gravity, etc.).

It just seems wasteful to have it sitting there forever...

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:15:29 AM »
It's always been weird that you reach a point where you never need infrastructure, because you just shuffle it off already terraformed planets.  With civvie production you could colonize a dozen systems having only built 1000 infrastructure.

It's one reason I don't use terraforming.

//maybe civvies should ship subsurface infra?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »
I say just require 1.0 as the lowest amount of infrastructure needed (on gravity 1 for your race) on any planet that is completely terraformed. Increase this to a maximum of 2.0 at the highest rating of your races gravity tolerance. Just increase the amount of Duranium generated on bodies slightly and you will never waste any infrastructure.

Why not also, while you are at it... make it so that it will eventually increase when you reach very high population number based on the planets size and terrain types.

This would also keep the snowball effect in check for expanding in general.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:57:48 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »
The issue exists because of the magic gases "safe greenhouse gas" and "safe anti-greenhouse gas" this allows you to basically terraform any planet to 0.  If you don't use those gases then while you can always get a breathable atmosphere getting the temperature correct is far harder.

There are no safe greenhouse gasses.  There is no gas that can produce the ingame effect of the safe anti-greenhouse gas that I am aware of.  If you want to cool down a planet pretty much your only option is to put a shade in orbit to reduce the amount of light reaching the planet. 

I have found 1 colony cost 0 world, I've found a couple of other planets that are in the sweet spot so the eventual cost of the planet is 0, but most other planets have only a reduced colony cost after terraforming, and places like the Jupiter moons can't be terraformed to the point they are colony cost 0 while retaining an atmosphere that people can breath in reality.

If you have that situation then there is no way you can build 1000 infrastructure and say I'm done.  When you get 20,000 spare infrastructure you go "great, time to ship it elsewhere" and so on.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
I already ignore the greenhouse gases for that same purpose. Although I do allow the safe greenhouse gases to be used to increase the temperature to a small degree. To about 20% of max pressure if I don't intend to make the atmosphere breathable. I'm more sceptical about using anti-greenhouse gases though, but I do allow the usage of about 10% of the max pressure.

But I still think that even perfect would should require some infrastructure for game balance and it also seem realistic that some is needed to expand a high technology society on a planet with high population numbers in the millions or hundreds of million people.