Author Topic: Favorite Themes?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
Favorite Themes?
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
I've been playing with the themes a bit but I have a small problem:  There are too many themes to actually play them all in any reasonable time frame!

I'm sick of US and UK themes.  I've tried a few others, such as traveler (which had names that were complete gibberish) and tolkien was nice to an extent but quickly the names it was generating were rehashes of the same words (celolas v celulas, augithol v augistol and so on and it became confusing quickly)

What are your favorites and any that I should avoid in your opinion?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Favorite Themes?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:07:16 AM »
In terms of the officer names, don't forget to play with the secondary theme %s. I usually run UK/US with a mixture of other languages which gives a pleasing variation in names.

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
For a while I was using US theme commander names with some portions allocated to varying Spanish, French, UK and German for a bit of the melting pot flavor.

Need a good WOT flavor set IMO.  The Tolkien set is nice, just too same-sounding after a while.  I wonder if there is an extracted list of WOT character names online somewhere?  I surely don't want to reread the 13 something books and hand write a name list.

edit: oh my, someone already did it: http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~emma/jordan.html

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:13:46 PM »
I like the US themed followed closely by the english themed names

Offline Corik

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »
I like using ancient greek as main theme (I change the ranks of my officers, I just choose it for the names of the ships). For commanders I use Spanish plus UK, French and German. The spanish name theme is however pretty bad, I don't know who made it, but it should really be renamed to "19th Century Spanish". Many (not all, though) of the names used in the theme are no longer used since 50 or 70 years ago and almost all the surnames are only seen in noble families xD

If I have time, I will create a new one... for science :P

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »
I like using ancient greek as main theme (I change the ranks of my officers, I just choose it for the names of the ships). For commanders I use Spanish plus UK, French and German. The spanish name theme is however pretty bad, I don't know who made it, but it should really be renamed to "19th Century Spanish". Many (not all, though) of the names used in the theme are no longer used since 50 or 70 years ago and almost all the surnames are only seen in noble families xD

If I have time, I will create a new one... for science :P

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
From a thematic standpoint, it seems reasonable to me for the Spanish theme to harken back to Spain's time as a colonial and naval superpower.  Not that a more modern one wouldn't be a fine addition, of course. 

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
In terms of the officer names, don't forget to play with the secondary theme %s. I usually run UK/US with a mixture of other languages which gives a pleasing variation in names.
How do you use a secondary theme percentage? I can't see any option for it in the commander or game creation windows.

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
CTRL-F2 opens the racial options window.  Bottom-left of it has options to set up to four secondary themes with accompanying percentages of occurrence. 

(It's also under the "Empires" dropdown from the main window thingy)

Offline xeryon (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
Is it possible to make our own themes or is that via programming only?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »
Is it possible to make our own themes or is that via programming only?
Yes it is.  I created the Welsh theme a couple of years ago and passed it to Steve for inclusion in the shared database.  I can't remember what the file needs to be called now; however you use the 'Add Theme' option from the Game dropdown on the main game bar.
Welchbloke

Offline madpraxis

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
Catching up on reading, so I thought I'd bring this back up to the top. Roman man, Roman...my best destroyer squad leader? Gaius Ignatius Volcanis. So hell yes. Because what does that look like to you? Gaius of the effing FIERY VOLCANO.