Author Topic: Ground Force Command Structure  (Read 3365 times)

Offline shock (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Ground Force Command Structure
« on: December 03, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Is there any documentation on how commanders effect ground troops when there are multiple HQ's creating an O/B.   Is it diminishing returns for each layer of HQ?  If there isn't diminishing returns wouldn't things get a bit absurd from stacking 9 HQ?

Unless im missing something there is only 4 things effect the O/B, mechanic wise.   First is artillery needs to be in the formation to provide supporting fire.   Normally i put artillery in a T2 HQ, but re-reading the wiki it sounds like you can put them in a T1 HQ and still support other T1 HQs.   Next is medium AA guns, which need to be a parent of your front line, so they go in the T2 HQ (note, heavy AA guns always fire so they could be in a T1 HQ).   The 3rd being supply can come anywhere in the O/B, so you can throw it under the highest HQ.  The last of course if the effect of your commanders.

Which means the most effective O/B would be the following

A single T9 HQ (full size of army)
->Supply Truck Formation(s)
->A single T8 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->A single T7 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->A single  T6 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->A single T5 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->A single T4 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->A single T3 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->->A single T2 HQ with all med size AA guns(Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->->->Multiple T1 HQs (this is where ALL of the troops are)

So the O/B is less of a tree, and just a long line, only branching once you get to T1.   It doesn't seem like any of the commanders effects do anything to supply trucks so they don't need any HQs.  (logistical ability checks the unit firing not the supply truck if my understanding is correct)

Please someone tell me im wrong about this,

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Ground Force Command Structure
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
DISCLAIMER: There seems to be ongoing uncertainty about this, and other people have claimed that this is bugged and does not work as intended.

I believe the "book line" so to speak is that each command level in a hierarchy provides 25% of its bonuses to the formations directly beneath it, and this 25% multiplication happens at each level of the hierarchy, i.e. if you have Brigade --> Regiment --> Battalion then each battalion only gains 6.25% of any benefits from the brigade commander.

Assuming there are no bugs, the net effect here is that it only makes sense to place commanders in charge of "empty" HQs if the number of immediate subordinate formations is greater than or equal to 4. However, even with this consideration there is really no reason to have bare or empty (HQ-only) formations as you can gain a greater benefit from the commander by placing actual units in their formation. For example, consider two hierarchies with identical total forces:

(1) Four battalions under an empty regimental HQ
Code: [Select]
Regimental HQ - 20k ton capacity, HQ only, 100 ton size
    Infantry Battalion - 5k tons
    Armor Battalion - 5k tons
    Artillery Battalion - 4,900 tons
In this case, the regiment commander gives 25% of his bonuses to four battalions for a net 100% bonus. That sounds good, however we can do better.

(2) Three battalions under a regimental HQ with support elements
Code: [Select]
Regimental HQ - 20k ton capacity, 100 ton HQ + 4,900 tons of artillery
    Armor Battalion - 5k tons
In this case, since there are only three subordinate battalions the commander gives 25% of his bonuses to three units for a net 75%. However, in addition the artillery which is now directly under a commander gets a full 100% of the regimental commander's bonus, thus the grand total is 175% bonus which is much better than the above.

(One might ask why we do not use a larger 20k ton formation so that all of the units benefit from the regimental commander. Of course, the answer is that each battalion is benefiting from their own commander as well.)

Which means the most effective O/B would be the following

A single T9 HQ (full size of army)
->Supply Truck Formation(s)
->A single T8 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->A single T7 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->A single  T6 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->A single T5 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->A single T4 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->A single T3 HQ (Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->->A single T2 HQ with all med size AA guns(Army size - supply size)
->->->->->->->->Multiple T1 HQs (this is where ALL of the troops are)

So the O/B is less of a tree, and just a long line, only branching once you get to T1.   It doesn't seem like any of the commanders effects do anything to supply trucks so they don't need any HQs.  (logistical ability checks the unit firing not the supply truck if my understanding is correct)

Please someone tell me im wrong about this,

There are a few problems with this structure.
  • First, there are indeed diminishing returns as mentioned.
  • Second, if you are using auto-promotions then you may not have sufficient high-ranking generals to command a formation higher than T5 or T6, since every formation requires a commander who outranks any commanders of subordinate formations. Related to this, you will waste a number of leaders and/or HQ tiers - if your T2 commander is rank 2, then only rank-1 commanders can command the combat troops and rank 2+ leaders will compete for a single job at each rank; on the other hand, if you allow commanders of any rank below your highest to control T1 formations, then your highest-ranked commander will be at T2 and the higher commands will be useless. Finally, by placing a single commander (at each tier) above all formations you lose the ability to specialize - you could for example gain more benefits from grouping armor formations under commanders with high offensive and maneuver ratings, grouping infantry formations under skilled defensive commanders, and so on.
  • Finally, the last major problem with this HQ structure is research and build costs, which both increase linearly with the HQ command size with no upper limit. For example, if you have 50 battalions of 5,000 tons each, the HQ to control them all must have capacity 250,000 tons which will take 5,000 RP to research and 100 BP to build for each level of HQ (more if you want to armor them for added protection). For a single unit this isn't prohibitive, but you will have to continually re-make your HQ every time your forces increase in size to keep command over all units. Frankly, not only is it prohibitively expensive to research and build a HQ that can command your entire ground army, it's unnecessary - most people only build their OOBs with 2-4 levels/tiers unless they are RPing heavily and do not have a top-level command that controls all units. If for example you have HQs for 5,000, 20,000, and 75,000-ton command ranks, not only are these cheaper to research and build but the higher-level HQs which usually stay in the rear areas will rarely need to be upgraded since they do not have to grow as your army grows (smaller front-line HQs should still be upgraded for survivability of course).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »
T1 Formation commander: 100%
T2 Superior formation commander: 25%

That's easy enough. But has anyone tested whether it's

T3 Higher formation commander: 12.5%

OR

T3 Higher formation commander: 5% (which would be 25% of 25% of 100%)

because if it's the latter, then the bonuses go down to nothing really fast. If it's the former, then there is a mechanical advantage in having like 5 layers of HQs.

Also, as nuclearslurpee said, Commander bonuses vary - you want Defensive commanders for your Static and Infantry formations, Manoeuvre commanders for your vehicle formations, Artillery commanders for bombardment formations and so on.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
T1 Formation commander: 100%
T2 Superior formation commander: 25%

That's easy enough. But has anyone tested whether it's

T3 Higher formation commander: 12.5%

OR

T3 Higher formation commander: 5% (which would be 25% of 25% of 100%)

because if it's the latter, then the bonuses go down to nothing really fast. If it's the former, then there is a mechanical advantage in having like 5 layers of HQs.

Also, as nuclearslurpee said, Commander bonuses vary - you want Defensive commanders for your Static and Infantry formations, Manoeuvre commanders for your vehicle formations, Artillery commanders for bombardment formations and so on.

25% of 25% of 100% is 6.25%, not 5%. That aside, I haven't had the chance to test this and I'm not aware of anyone who has conclusively shown this in-game. Hence the confusion about if HQ commander bonuses are bugged.

Offline shock (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 11:59:39 AM »
Well that's good its a 25% drop off per level.   If so your looking at 3 levels of HQ.   As the 4th would only be . 0008 to . 0031 increase which is probably getting small enough to not matter expect in very large battles.   While anything is possible i don't see the logic of it being 100% 25% 12. 5%, seems odd for it to vary it's rate of diminishing returns.   Not sure how you would test it though, as most of the things commanders impacts don't show up as concrete values.

Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=12126. msg143950#msg143950 date=1607041613

Second, if you are using auto-promotions then you may not have sufficient high-ranking generals to command a formation higher than T5 or T6, since every formation requires a commander who outranks any commanders of subordinate formations.  Related to this, you will waste a number of leaders and/or HQ tiers - if your T2 commander is rank 2, then only rank-1 commanders can command the combat troops and rank 2+ leaders will compete for a single job at each rank; on the other hand, if you allow commanders of any rank below your highest to control T1 formations, then your highest-ranked commander will be at T2 and the higher commands will be useless.  Finally, by placing a single commander (at each tier) above all formations you lose the ability to specialize - you could for example gain more benefits from grouping armor formations under commanders with high offensive and maneuver ratings, grouping infantry formations under skilled defensive commanders, and so on.

Sure, if you only have access to T5/T6 commanders then you stop at T5/T6, but that would be the same for any order of battles.   The amount of T1 commanders wouldn't be any different from any other order of battle.   So if your lacking T1 commanders you be lacking them in any order of battle.   Not being able to specialize is a valid point.

Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=12126. msg143950#msg143950 date=1607041613
Finally, the last major problem with this HQ structure is research and build costs, which both increase linearly with the HQ command size with no upper limit.  For example, if you have 50 battalions of 5,000 tons each, the HQ to control them all must have capacity 250,000 tons which will take 5,000 RP to research and 100 BP to build for each level of HQ (more if you want to armor them for added protection).  For a single unit this isn't prohibitive, but you will have to continually re-make your HQ every time your forces increase in size to keep command over all units.  Frankly, not only is it prohibitively expensive to research and build a HQ that can command your entire ground army, it's unnecessary - most people only build their OOBs with 2-4 levels/tiers unless they are RPing heavily and do not have a top-level command that controls all units.  If for example you have HQs for 5,000, 20,000, and 75,000-ton command ranks, not only are these cheaper to research and build but the higher-level HQs which usually stay in the rear areas will rarely need to be upgraded since they do not have to grow as your army grows (smaller front-line HQs should still be upgraded for survivability of course).
Well you probably have all the HQ be the same size so the player is only researching one unit (or 2 if you only want the last HQ holding supplies, but that's only if research isn't an issue).   If having a large HQ with all units under it was effective, then in any order of battle you would be researching it.   In fact you would end up saving research as you would only need 2 HQ, instead of a bunch of different sizes.   Sure every once in a while you would need to up the size, but that would be the same for all ways to organize, if high level HQ where worth it.

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »
I didn't see any fixes or changes to ground combat listed. We've tested it in 1.10 and no bonuses were passed in hierarchy back then.

The previous thread on this topic:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11560

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »
Well that's good its a 25% drop off per level.   If so your looking at 3 levels of HQ.   As the 4th would only be . 0008 to . 0031 increase which is probably getting small enough to not matter expect in very large battles.   While anything is possible i don't see the logic of it being 100% 25% 12. 5%, seems odd for it to vary it's rate of diminishing returns.   Not sure how you would test it though, as most of the things commanders impacts don't show up as concrete values.

Pretty much the only way to test it is to set up a set piece battle and run it with a variety of OOB/commander setups, carefully record the results, and then perform a statistical analysis to separate actual commander bonus effects from random noise. This would be an involved process.

Sure, if you only have access to T5/T6 commanders then you stop at T5/T6, but that would be the same for any order of battles.   The amount of T1 commanders wouldn't be any different from any other order of battle.   So if your lacking T1 commanders you be lacking them in any order of battle.   Not being able to specialize is a valid point.

The bigger issue is the number of wasted commanders above the bottom rank, when those should be used to specialize your formations.

I didn't see any fixes or changes to ground combat listed. We've tested it in 1.10 and no bonuses were passed in hierarchy back then.

The previous thread on this topic:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11560

That thread claims that HQ bonuses are not passed down, but I haven't seen any actual data that clearly shows this. Given that the bonuses we're talking about are quite fractional I'm very hesitant to take unsupported claims at face value - for example, GC Offense boosts % chance to hit in what I assume is a multiplicative effect (I can't find a specific answer here but a straight additive bonus would be insanely strong) i.e. a 25% GC Offense skill multiplies chance to hit by 1.25x. Given that base %CTH is 20% and is affected by any number of multipliers we're talking about a single-digit %CTH gain from the officer. An officer in a higher HQ would pass on 25% * 25% = 6.25% of that same bonus, giving a 1.06x multiplier to that 20% which is very difficult to observe given the stochastic nature of ground combat. It's quite easy to imagine that in a single combat the bonus might appear to not be present due to its small effect being obscured by randomness - thus, significant and rigorous data collection is necessary to confirm that there is in fact a bug.

There's also the fact that Aurora is subject to/plagued by a lot of rounding, often to 0.01 orders of magnitude, because Steve makes use of the decimal C# data type instead of raw floats. In this case it's entirely possible that superior HQ bonuses are disappearing but this is technically WAD. Again, data is needed to back this up.

If there has been actual data posted (e.g. specific posts in a bug report thread) I'm very interested to see that but I'm hesitant to take a couple of anecdotal claims in one thread as proof that HQ bonuses don't work.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:14:15 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Polestar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
nuclearslurpee,

Back a few versions ago, I also tested whether superior commanders had any effect in combat. At that time, they had exactly none. No artillery, attack, defence, etc. This was simply a feature that had not yet been implemented.

If this has not changed - and I repeat Demakustus in noting that there seems to be a lack of updates on this - then his statement stands. We'll just have to wait for this particular piece of code to get plugged in, and I look forward to seeing Steve's notes on how it will work when it does.

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 01:38:55 PM »
I did some moderately extensive testing back then, with large forces shooting at each other. I thought I've posted some of the results but I cannot find them anywhere now, only the conclusions - regular bonuses were clearly visible, those of the superiors were not.

Anyway, this was confirmed as a bug for 1.11
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11565.msg135390#msg135390
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:53:47 PM by Demakustus »

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »
I too did some testing back then, with large forces shooting at each other. Regular bonuses were clearly visible, those of the superiors were not.

Anyway, this was confirmed as a bug for 1.11
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11565.msg135390#msg135390

Thanks for the link. Not the data I hoped for but I can trust the word of a bugmod.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »
Yeah, this amount of number-crunching is too much for me. I go with my gut as to what would be a good composition. Luckily it seems to be close to the meta as my rule has always been that a command HQ should always command 4 units under it give-and-take some support units tacked on. This was mostly a result of basing unit sizes off of transport bay capacity.

A standard transport bay can carry 1000 tons of equipment, so I made my smallest units 1000 ton companies. A large transport bay can fit 5000 tons of equipment, so I organized my companies into battalions that were 4000 tons consisting of 4 companies (I like to leave some overflow space for flexibility, Battalion HQs can actually support 5000 tons).

Then I figured I could pretty easily churn out transport ships with 4 large transport bays so those battalions were organized into 20,000 ton regiments.

As a result of being large enough to have a good mix of unit types and being able to fit on a single standard transport ship, regiments became my go-to formation size for most of the game.

TL;DR Base your unit formations on transport bay sizes. Not only will it make your units more flexible, it'll also guide you to make some pretty well-rounded and logically composed armies.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:15:14 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 09:11:03 PM »
A standard transport bay can carry 1000 tons of equipment, so I made my smallest units 1000 ton companies.

That's a good source of inspiration, but 1000t is much too small for your front-line formations. I recommend making everything 10× larger so that you only have to make and transport ¹???th as many formations.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 10:14:59 PM »
A standard transport bay can carry 1000 tons of equipment, so I made my smallest units 1000 ton companies.

That's a good source of inspiration, but 1000t is much too small for your front-line formations. I recommend making everything 10× larger so that you only have to make and transport ¹???th as many formations.

Some people model down to individual squads, which are, like, 6 dudes.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »
Some people are crazy.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

Some people model down to individual squads, which are, like, 6 dudes.

That's how I started, but without a csv template I cannot do it anymore. If the import export ever become a thing then I will jump back into it.