Author Topic: Diplomatic determinism  (Read 1162 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Diplomatic determinism
« on: December 04, 2020, 01:16:22 AM »
I was wondering if making treaties and breaking them could not use a bit more love? It seems a bit bland and deterministic right now. Perhaps a random communication from others nations could also help breath some life, like if they hate your guts, a random nasty comment from time to time? Or the reverse if they like you or are trading with you? I know it is fluff ...

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Diplomatic determinism
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 02:14:23 AM »
I dont really feel like that would really add much.

Conversely, it might not be all that hard to add.

I would personally suggest that if such a thing was done, the wording would be kept vague to avoid disrupting the logic of the users scenarios too much.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 03:00:34 AM »
Well, the thread is not just about the possible fluff, I'll leave (as for the rest  ;D ) Steve decides what he thinks about it. It's also about the apparent deterministic value that triggers the passage to a certain treaty level. And also about diplomacy in general.

More specifically ...

1. You never know what THEY think of you, you only know what you think of them. In some situations it makes sense, but perhaps once you are in a treaty, an approximate estimation of what the other empire feels about you would be plausible and add a nice touch.
2. Once the threshold is crossed to get a treaty, perhaps it should be probabilistic, like 1% cumulative per month. Not certain as soon as the value is reached.
3. Perhaps a once-a-year reminder of how the relationship evolved with another empire would be also nice. How many points were gained or lost, or in a more RP-style, a vague message about a large or minor loss or gain of relationship would also be a nice touch.

Well, there are probably tons of other things that could be improved; these are just a few suggestions on top of my head, drawing from other 4x I play.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:08:44 AM by vorpal+5 »

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Iestwyn

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 03:20:22 AM »
Those are pretty good suggestions, imho.

The following users thanked this post: Iestwyn

Offline Malorn

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:45:05 AM »
Honestly, how much you know about how they feel about you should be based on of your intel on them.

But yeah, it would help if there was a bit more information.

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »
Yes, it should be based on intel, but the amount of trade should also give you intel on their feelinga toward you. The behaviour of their diplomats shoul also give you cues once/ if you get familiar with their ways. There coul also be a race trait about how readable or how "alien" they are even once you understand their language.