Author Topic: Issues with game settings  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Issues with game settings
« on: December 22, 2020, 08:24:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this will need to be moved to a bug or if I am simply doing things incorrectly. However I am currently unable to alter the game settings after a game start. So for example you should be able to turn on/off spoilers at anytime, and to do this I would follow the following.

Note this has been attempted in both SM and non SM mode.

1. Open game settings
2. Tick the check box for a spoiler to appear.
3. Save the settings and close the settings box.

Everytime I do this when I open the settings box again the tick has been taken out as if I did nothing, I have tried doing this then immediately checking, and also ticking then runing a short time interval before checking.

From vb6 I am fairly certain this is the correct method, have I mistaken it or has things changed?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Issues with game settings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 08:46:47 AM »
When you change the game settings I've found that changes do not register unless you actually save the game. So click the "save settings" button like you already are but then save the game afterwards on top of that.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »
When you change the game settings I've found that changes do not register unless you actually save the game. So click the "save settings" button like you already are but then save the game afterwards on top of that.

Ok yes that did the trick, and has solved many many many previous issues, thanks.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:30:42 PM »
As a new player unfamiliar with the Database concept, it took me forever to remember that as you close the screens you are using it auto saves the changes. I was always looking for a save button. 

Then months later when you are ready to start tweaking settings....this screen is the exact opposite. Need to save twice. Screws me up every time lol.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
As a new player unfamiliar with the Database concept, it took me forever to remember that as you close the screens you are using it auto saves the changes. I was always looking for a save button. 

Then months later when you are ready to start tweaking settings....this screen is the exact opposite. Need to save twice. Screws me up every time lol.
It's a VB6 to C# change.

C# does NOT save as you go. There aren't, like, commit buttons for gameplay decisions or anything, but nothing gets saved to the database until you click save.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 10:01:31 AM »

It's a VB6 to C# change.

C# does NOT save as you go. There aren't, like, commit buttons for gameplay decisions or anything, but nothing gets saved to the database until you click save.

Sorry, bad semantics on my part.  Two different kind of 'saves' in my head. I don't know DB terminology, so when I close the Colony tab after making changes, the game 'saves' those changes somewhere (I guess not in the DB itself). I get that it's different than saving your game state as a permanent record in the DB by clicking the save button. .

My point was this was - this is one of rare  (the only?) screens that pops up, you make changes, close it and the changes don't count unless you do another step. It is an exception  to the normal rule that closing (or even just switching tabs) a screen 'saves' the changes for your current game state (not your permanent DB saved game state) . Might be beneficial to put a warning on that pop-up screen that it requires an extra step, if it's not there already.